General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

People say a lot in anonymity they wouldn't say to someone's face.

Generally speaking, though, the "Disney " way for diversity comes off as politically driven.  in other words, it comes off as not natural and organic to the material but forced.  Case in point, how is Sung Kang's Inquisitor role in makeup for an alien race but Reva stays normal.

That said, I like how badass she is...to her fellow Inquisitors, Obi-wan, and pedestrians.  Definitely a standout performance so far in the series.  I am also digging young Leia--her situation and circumstances feel natural to her adult life in the original trilogy.

Edited by purple_beard

Part III is exactly the kind of tone I wanted from the series from the beginning. My only complaint is that it reminded me of what occurred with the Grand Inquisitor in Part II still without context for Reva's abilities. The episode may be the best live-action content under Disney since acquiring Star Wars. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, purple_beard said:

People say a lot in anonymity they wouldn't say to someone's face.

Generally speaking, though, the "Disney " way for diversity comes off as politically driven.  in other words, it comes off as not natural and organic to the material but forced.  Case in point, how is Sung Kang's Inquisitor role in makeup for an alien race but Reva stays normal.

That said, I like how badass she is...to her fellow Inquisitors, Obi-wan, and pedestrians.  Definitely a standout performance so far in the series.  I am also digging young Leia--her situation and circumstances feel natural to her adult life in the original trilogy.

I didn't watch much of Clone Wars, or any Bad Batch or Rebels. I just assumed she was an existing character from one of those shows. So I figured her character motivations were established from that so just took her character at that and think she's great. 

Now that the dust has settled for me with Part III, it does force scenarios onto the series. Obi-Wan will have to duel Darth Vader again as well as Reva, and will have to get back to Clone Wars era level if not beyond to beat Darth Vader....because otherwise it definitely will go against A New Hope. They have to sensibly elevate his character from what it has been through half the series. I'm interested in seeing what they do in Part IV Wednesday.....hopefully there's a turn around since there are only 6 parts. Part III can become a bad episode depending on Parts IV, V and VI. 

11 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Ms. Marvel episode 1:  Hmmm didn't realize her power came from Gauntlets...  Feels like its more the Spiderman movie vibe... or at least the MCU first one.  Just a little to early to tell how good/bad it will be.

I think it's because they try to match the tone with the main character.

Oh, a sequel to Joker 2019 was also finally confirmed earlier. Mostly saw that film's haters come back out of the woodwork in response, but I am curious as to how they'll do a followup. I didn't think Phoenix Joker would ever crossover with Pattinson Batman given the setting of the Joker film where he would be too old to become Batman's nemesis; at least in a believable fashion. Phoenix Joker is best as an elseworld thing. That said, I can agree that it would've worked best as a standalone film, but with how much money the first one made, of course a sequel was eventually going to be greenlit.

Just got back from Jurassic World Dominion. Enjoyed this more than I thought I would; definitely better than Fallen Kingdom imo. The first JW I didn't think as much of as time went on, so for now I may actually like Dominion more than it too, but will have to see how it ages for me.

The original cast were used more than I thought with that said. Was expecting just a cameo from them at best, but they had almost as much screen time as Pratt it felt like. Nostalgia for the characters made me enjoy their callbacks and even their occasional one liners. The dinosaurs and action scenes were all as fine as I'd expect.

I had a very vague memory of the original trilogy for Star Wars....I'm not entirely sure if I fully watched A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back before this week, but did have a better memory of Return of the Jedi. In my opinion and watching the versions available on Disney+, none of the three films feel like they've aged much. That was something I was concerned about watching content like The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels and going back to the franchise's foundation. In general, it makes sense as I see the connection and expansion from this trilogy. I don't think any of these three really stand out in the same way I currently feel Episode III is the best of the prequels (feel like I should rewatch them at some point again). They are all very solid films...If I had to rank them, probably Empire Strikes Back would be my favorite just a tiny bit above A New Hope and Return of the Jedi which are about even. 

I decided to watch A New Hope after watching Part III of Kenobi, noticing that currently there's some conflict in the overall story that Kenobi should address. After watching Part IV, I definitely wanted to wash that away by watching the rest of the original trilogy. For the rest of Kenobi, I think I'm going to watch it as entertainment associated with Star Wars rather than as Star Wars content...The fan service has lost its magic for me and the bullshit has been cranked up, but since there are only two episodes left for Kenobi I'll go ahead and finish it out. At this point, the more Star Wars a person has watched, the less I would recommend the Kenobi series. Going forward, if the Kenobi writers are associated with a project, I may skip the content unless there is clear indication that improvement has occurred and has had a fair amount of recommendation. I won't let the Kenobi series completely turn me away from the franchise's new content to the extent The Last Jedi did, because there is content done under Disney that has had slam dunk potential that they actually delivered on (i.e. Season 7 of Clone Wars). Oh well, two more weeks to go. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

I've got Star Wars fans at work who will absolutely love Part V. I don't know why the Kenobi series wasn't given the budget of the Mandalorian series when it has both Kenobi and Darth Vader....That's more of a nitpick with a particular scene which I otherwise enjoyed once it fully played out, but I have issues with Darth Vader, which I don't feel can be corrected, and Obi-Wan, a Season 2 could help, looking ahead from this series to the original trilogy. As great as it is to see the power of Darth Vader, because of Part III and A New Hope, Obi-Wan has to get the better of that Darth Vader at some point. He ain't getting there by Part VI.

Watched the first episode of the Star Wars Resistance last night...I figured I would check it out since Clone Wars and Rebels are fantastic, and it's part of their timeline on Disney+ before TFA. I don't have high expectations for the show since I haven't heard too much about it...and the characters I do know are from the sequel trilogy or have their roles from that time. The first episode didn't have much going on; however, I know the animated series aren't at their best right from the start so I want to see how the series picks up. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

I saw the new Thor movie and it was pretty good (I totally dig the 80's rock vibe with the logo and music). Though, don't go into this expecting this big/epic Marvel movie. I'd say, it's more of a filler Marvel movie, if you know I mean. I wouldn't have been disappointed if this went straight to Disney+. One part however, hit home a little too hard... I'm referring to when Thor finds out Jane has stage 4 cancer, and eventually ends up passing away from it. I lost my Aunt back in October (2021) from stage 4 liver cancer, so... I was totally not expecting this when going into this movie. 😭