General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Mortal Kombat/theater

--Admittedly, I only know a little game canon and I have watched the first two movies and that Michael Jai White led reboot from a few years ago...  but in this new one why was Scorpion set up as a "good guy"?  And since they showed a lot of newer characters for the story what are their deals?  I thought the movie was pretty good but interesting they never actually got to a Mortal Kombat match.  That said, it is amazing how the advancements in special effects have helped this movie series, granted the first two were at the very begining of digital/cgi kinds of effects for characters...and probably low the budget for such things too.

59 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Mortal Kombat/theater

--Admittedly, I only know a little game canon and I have watched the first two movies and that Michael Jai White led reboot from a few years ago...  but in this new one why was Scorpion set up as a "good guy"?  And since they showed a lot of newer characters for the story what are their deals?  I thought the movie was pretty good but interesting they never actually got to a Mortal Kombat match.  That said, it is amazing how the advancements in special effects have helped this movie series, granted the first two were at the very begining of digital/cgi kinds of effects for characters...and probably low the budget for such things too.

As an MK fan since childhood, I was mostly disappointed with the decisions made for the film. Most of my problems to begin with though were with the Cole Young character, who is not from any of the games, but a typical studio mandated character that was made for the farfetched reason of needing a new face/nobody that the audience could relate to. As I feared too, he took up too much of the focus like Alice in the previous Resident Evil film franchise, while the game characters were all delegated to side characters.

Scorpion became more of an antihero later on, but nowadays is seen more of a good guy. Either way, he takes from his Ghost Rider roots/inspiration in being a spirit of vengeance.

The newer more minor characters were just there as cameos for fans to spot but even as cameos, weren't really done justice imo; the vampire Nitara, etc. Not having the tournament I wasn't a fan of either, but apparently they're saving that for the next film while the current one is just a prequel. I can understand taking creative liberties to an extent but the script and screenplay wildly change up the formula of the source material too much for me. Perhaps making all the set pieces for the tournament setting they felt was too much effort for the first film where they just wanted to test the waters first? Who knows.

I mean most of the budget for this film went into Sub-Zero's effects, who admittedly was one of the best parts of the film, but for the other characters, would say the original film did better for the most part; Goro especially who was done dirty in the new film. In the original film he's established as the champion that you have to win a number of fights in order to face just like he is as the boss in the first game, but here they just allow Cole to fight him without winning any previous fights.

Goro's CG design was generic too. The original film version's superior because he's practical, a giant puppet that's actually there.

315921-2606f6aa48695dd5d8a6bd9988434c8e.png.f6746f4562881d09e1e28798eb9b32ed.png

Still prefer the original/human ninja Reptile too, on that note.

315922-a8454969b696fe9638d1fd124b00c222.png.2040025e8fd39dc295024b8c8f352a00.png

If you haven't, I would recommend seeing the Scorpion's Revenge animated film. Even with it changing up some of the story with Scorpion as the main character, it still gave most of the other characters more to do in the end. I'm honestly more excited for a sequel or followup to it than I am MK 2021.

20 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

As an MK fan since childhood, I was mostly disappointed with the decisions made for the film. Most of my problems to begin with though were with the Cole Young character, who is not from any of the games, but a typical studio mandated character that was made for the farfetched reason of needing a new face/nobody that the audience could relate to. As I feared too, he took up too much of the focus like Alice in the previous Resident Evil film franchise, while the game characters were all delegated to side characters.

Scorpion became more of an antihero later on, but nowadays is seen more of a good guy. Either way, he takes from his Ghost Rider roots/inspiration in being a spirit of vengeance.

The newer more minor characters were just there as cameos for fans to spot but even as cameos, weren't really done justice imo; the vampire Nitara, etc. Not having the tournament I wasn't a fan of either, but apparently they're saving that for the next film while the current one is just a prequel. I can understand taking creative liberties to an extent but the script and screenplay wildly change up the formula of the source material too much for me. Perhaps making all the set pieces for the tournament setting they felt was too much effort for the first film where they just wanted to test the waters first? Who knows.

I mean most of the budget for this film went into Sub-Zero's effects, who admittedly was one of the best parts of the film, but for the other characters, would say the original film did better for the most part; Goro especially who was done dirty in the new film. In the original film he's established as the champion that you have to win a number of fights in order to face just like he is as the boss in the first game, but here they just allow Cole to fight him without winning any previous fights.

Goro's CG design was generic too. The original film version's superior because he's practical, a giant puppet that's actually there.

315921-2606f6aa48695dd5d8a6bd9988434c8e.png.f6746f4562881d09e1e28798eb9b32ed.png

Still prefer the original/human ninja Reptile too, on that note.

315922-a8454969b696fe9638d1fd124b00c222.png.2040025e8fd39dc295024b8c8f352a00.png

If you haven't, I would recommend seeing the Scorpion's Revenge animated film. Even with it changing up some of the story with Scorpion as the main character, it still gave most of the other characters more to do in the end. I'm honestly more excited for a sequel or followup to it than I am MK 2021.

Seems odd they'd sell a new movie to the fans of the series with a character not from the games.

And on that end, in his fight with Goro his armor could absorb blows and power him up ala Black Panther's second suit....  but with the next person he fought no such attacks powered him up.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:01 PM, Ridley Prime said:

I skipped all of your post in case there was spoilers, then I saw this.

That movie, is, incredible.

• 1 month later...

I was waiting for In The Heights since last year. 

One of the best musical movies ever. I didn’t buy into the stage version at first, because it’s by the same person who made Hamil... But a local production changed my mind. I was curious if my doubts for the movie were founded. Although I don’t have a personal connection to anything Hispanic or the like, this musical is about the importance of one’s roots, home, family, and friends. Would this movie bring that to the big screen? ... For me, it did.  

I’m glad I saw In The Heights.

• 2 weeks later...

F&F9 aka Fast Saga / theater
--OK, let me say first that if you want a comedic action thriller then you get your wish--the cast works together so well that in this mode they really all shine as one big ensemble. I like the tie ins to Dom's story about his dad's death and him beating to near death the racer that hit him... I liked all the tie ins to the past movies, especially the events(and characters)of Tokyo Drift. However, this movie has taken this franchise so over the top I don't know what could be their next height...drifting in moon dune buggies on Mars at the Total Recall land space station? I'm going to keep some spoilers out of it but man...

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from Black Widow, and I enjoyed the movie overall. As a solo movie, I have it just below Iron Man and Captain America and above the rest. Compared to the overall MCU, I would say it floats around #8-#12 range. I'm expecting Shang-Chi to be in that same area as they build up more characters after the conclusions of Endgame. 

5 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Got back from Black Widow, and I enjoyed the movie overall. As a solo movie, I have it just below Iron Man and Captain America and above the rest. Compared to the overall MCU, I would say it floats around #8-#12 range. I'm expecting Shang-Chi to be in that same area as they build up more characters after the conclusions of Endgame. 

Going Sunday evening.

Without going into too many spoilers how much of the movie is tied to her specific back story, in other words her beginning up to joining the Avengers/SHIELD via Nick Fury/Hawkeye versus say the main plot of the movie... how much of those are intertwined?  Because it seemed to me they were digging into her background a lot and kind of bringing up ghosts from the past to advance the "current" plot.  I don't know much about her backstory.

5 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Going Sunday evening.

Without going into too many spoilers how much of the movie is tied to her specific back story, in other words her beginning up to joining the Avengers/SHIELD via Nick Fury/Hawkeye versus say the main plot of the movie... how much of those are intertwined?  Because it seemed to me they were digging into her background a lot and kind of bringing up ghosts from the past to advance the "current" plot.  I don't know much about her backstory.

Her past is intertwined with the present situations within the movie for the most part. You'll know what you need to know about her past from the movie. The only recommendations I would give before seeing the film is to have seen Captain America: Civil War and the last two Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. 

6 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Her past is intertwined with the present situations within the movie for the most part. You'll know what you need to know about her past from the movie. The only recommendations I would give before seeing the film is to have seen Captain America: Civil War and the last two Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. 

I am considering going back through those 3... she didn't really get much background in Iron Man 2... and yeah... Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame did get some points brought up about her past.

@Ithrak Utopia

Black Widow/Theater

--Not overly great but not bad at all.  I kind of liked the family drama and intrigue of it all considering their relationships.  I did agree with the above in that is kind of a medium on the best to worst scale of the MCU movies.  I am kind of glad they discussed Budapest in more detail as that really seemed to be a talking point between Black Widow and Hawkeye.  That post-credits scene though....  interesting to say the least.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, Ithrak Utopia said:

Speaking about Cap. Didn't this movie feel like Winter Soldier in some regards with how the evil plan was about