General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not thrilled about the news. Didn't go out to theaters that often, but this move to HBO Max, isn't good to anyone on a budget. Will be continuing to wait until movies come out on dvd so I can rent them for a lot less.

HBO Max is like $15 a month. If I were to use it at all, would only subscribe on the certain months when movies that I’m interested in come out.

Paying for one month alone would still less than buying tickets for a film + popcorn and whatever else at the local cinema, much as I always liked that experience. I agree though that subscribing to the service indefinitely is not sustainable for the consumer on a budget, especially for those that already subscribe to other things.

3 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Hopefully not. I work at one. And I’m not sure if I’ll have any future places that I could work for... given my skills.

I used to work at one for a good few/couple years as one of my first jobs, so I feel you. I've been there.

Pretty mixed on the whole thing overall. On one hand it's good that movies are more accessible now in a way during this uncertain time, but it's still a huge blow to theaters, especially to the people who work there as they're paid via food sales, not tickets since those go to the studios. When there's not much of an incentive to go out to theaters now if the movie is readily available via streaming and with the pandemic as an excuse... Time will tell though if this will ultimately be a positive or negative move overall, and how long it lasts.

25 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

HBO Max is like $15 a month. If I were to use it at all, would only subscribe on the certain months when movies that I’m interested in come out.

Paying for one month alone would still less than buying tickets for a film + popcorn and whatever else at the local cinema, much as I always liked that experience. I agree though that subscribing to the service indefinitely is not sustainable for the consumer on a budget, especially for those that already subscribe to other things.

I used to work at one for a good few/couple years as one of my first jobs, so I feel you. I've been there.

Pretty mixed on the whole thing overall. On one hand it's good that movies are more accessible now in a way during this uncertain time, but it's still a huge blow to theaters, especially to the people who work there as they're paid via food sales, not tickets since those go to the studios. When there's not much of an incentive to go out to theaters now if the movie is readily available via streaming and with the pandemic as an excuse... Time will tell though if this will ultimately be a positive or negative move overall, and how long it lasts.

It adds up over a period of a year. But even for one month at the price it is, isn't worth it to me. Only streaming exception was CBS All Access, since it's $5.99 a month. But even then, I'd only get it for a month to catch up on stuff and then cancel it. 

For more than one person, it would be $10-$12 for two people where I'm at, so I can see where you're coming from.

But to be honest, I hardly go out to the movies anymore, so it's another reason why Max isn't worth it to me. Spending that money, only to not use it all that often. So renting is generally the option I go in, since I don't watch a ton of movies. 

Edited by Doc Brown

Going to the local theaters adds up over the period of a year, depending on how common a movie goer you are. Same thing with the services. I be pretty much the same way though with such platforms. Subscribe for a certain month or two to see some things and then cancel. That's what many have to do now when this, that, and the 3rd all wanting a piece of the streaming service pie.

• 4 weeks later...