General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

On 1/7/2020 at 12:36 AM, Ridley Prime said:

I could barely contain myself hearing that, even though the f-bombs were muted out there. The way some were looking at him, it’s as though he was still playing the Joker during that speech.

“Wanna hear another joke, Murrraaaayyyy?”

I really loved the movie.  It was so visceral.  I liked how they handled the Batman side of the Joker story too.

And again, 

Joker, great.

Aquaman, great.

Wonder Woman, great.

Batman vs. Superman, no so much but had potential

Justice League, not so much, could have been better.

Suicide Squad, not so much, had the casting, just didn't have "the movie."

Man of Steel, good start, but felt lacking.

It just keeps begging the question though, how can they get everyone else right but the two biggest heroes they have in Superman and Batman, and then their Avengers equivalent of Justice League.  DC can take the different route from Marvel.  I don't even consider every movie under the Marvel banner the last decade to be top notch, but they really worked well to define themselves and their stories, DC has felt pretty chopped up and uneven.

18 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I really loved the movie.  It was so visceral.  I liked how they handled the Batman side of the Joker story too.

And again, 

Joker, great.

Aquaman, great.

Wonder Woman, great.

Batman vs. Superman, no so much but had potential

Justice League, not so much, could have been better.

Suicide Squad, not so much, had the casting, just didn't have "the movie."

Man of Steel, good start, but felt lacking.

It just keeps begging the question though, how can they get everyone else right but the two biggest heroes they have in Superman and Batman, and then their Avengers equivalent of Justice League.  DC can take the different route from Marvel.  I don't even consider every movie under the Marvel banner the last decade to be top notch, but they really worked well to define themselves and their stories, DC has felt pretty chopped up and uneven.

Forgot Shazam which was fun and lighthearted.

But yeah, pretty much. Can say I appreciate Henry Cavill as an actor much more after seeing the Witcher show at least, whether he gets to make a prominent return as Superman or not.

So trailer 2 for Birds of Prey dropped earlier, and while it was better than the first trailer, I'm still unfortunately getting Suicide Squad vibes from it. Black Mask I want them to make good use of who is a pretty good villain when done right, but not really getting my hopes up.

12 hours ago, fuzz said:

Uncut Gems too - I've never EVER cared this much about a basketball game in my life.

I've heard mixed reviews of it. You know, since Sandler.  Then again, the theater I work at mostly caters to an older crowd. First movie of the decade some of the audience demands/asks refunds for.   

It would be highly unlikely if it were to get a NOSCARnation. ... NominOscar. ... You get the point.  

On 1/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, fuzz said:

Uncut Gems too - I've never EVER cared this much about a basketball game in my life.

15 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I've heard mixed reviews of it. You know, since Sandler.  Then again, the theater I work at mostly caters to an older crowd. First movie of the decade some of the audience demands/asks refunds for.   

It would be highly unlikely if it were to get a NOSCARnation. ... NominOscar. ... You get the point.  

I'm just not a Sandler guy overall but I've heard a lot of positive things about it but it sure seems like he's skipping his normal schtick for something actually serious.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Can say I'm a lot less invested in Matrix 4 now. Smith was the best part of the trilogy. When the machines and programs had much more personality than the human characters (ironically or not), Hugo pretty much carried it with his performance.

I've had little interest since they announced it. I feel like the third movie ended the story decently enough.

12 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I've had little interest since they announced it. I feel like the third movie ended the story decently enough.

The same reason Toy Story still continued even though the 3rd film ended the story well enough: Because they can/because money.

But between like the current milking of Star Wars and things, I feel the Matrix series also has plenty enough lore for it to be fair enough to eventually have another entry at some point down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

The A-Team/BR
--just wanted to.  I loved the casting in the movie and to me, they made a better origin story than the tv show.  That said, I'm still more of a fan of the tv show.

Total Recall (new)/BR
--I still prefer the original movie but what I did like about this was its setting in a more realistic environment.  Also, from what I gather, the story in the new one is closer to the actual book.  I think they were more obvious with the tells in this one than the original one.  I liked the casting as well.  

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (og)/BR
--I had gotten the DC BR Trilogy box set a while back but my last viewing was this on NF.  I love the trilogy but I still think the first one comes off more self contained and 2 and 3 feel more connected.  I really appreciated the compression artifact-less version of the movie.  I tried to watch it with the dubbed audio and had to change it back, the voices were too off for me to like so I went back to original audio with subtitles.

Suicide Squad/BR
--Getting back in the flow before Birds of Prey.  I thought the casting was decent but you could tell that Margot Robie and Will Smith were the focal points.  Personally I think Robie sold herself as being HQ and that got her BoP.

Birds of Prey/Theater
--Again, Robie steals the show as HQ.  I really like the personalities and the craziness this movie has.  IMO, Huntress and Black Canary seem really under developed in terms of their deals within the scope of the movie--like their main tie to what is going on gets revealed really late.  I do agree with my brother though, the movies comes off as a HQ movie and not a BoP movie.  I think they should have made it just HQ with whatever add on title they wanted to add.