General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

WW did look good.  I hope they can keep it up.  But with how good Aquaman was and the prior Wonder Woman, one has to wonder how Justice League can't get right.  How after Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman they can't get Superman back in the groove.  I actually thought Ben was good as Batman for the age he was playing him at.  It will be interseting to see how Birds of Prey and The Batman go though...

Far as Superman goes, I came across this earlier which hampered my confidence in WB again, at least in regards to him.

It's funny too, because the current Arrowverse crossover has at least like three decent versions of the man of steel. I feel with the current times as well, Superman would be more relevant than ever if given the chance, yet they don't know what to do with him.

11 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Far as Superman goes, I came across this earlier which hampered my confidence in WB again, at least in regards to him.

It's funny too, because the current Arrowverse crossover has at least like three decent versions of the man of steel. I feel with the current times as well, Superman would be more relevant than ever if given the chance, yet they don't know what to do with him.

*IF* I were to troll I guess that is code for a straight white guy who is good is too clean for the world now.  That said, how can you do everyone else but him?  You can't do Justice Leage, the DC equivalent to the Avengers ( even though I guess some would argue the X Men would be in that convo), without him.  They just need to pick the right story and the right villain.  There is plenty of comic book material there for them to do something.

8 hours ago, Kirbymeister2 said:

Going to see the new Jumanji this weekend. Enjoyed the first one so I'm gunna see if the sequel (to a sequel I suppose?) will be any good. 

Did you see the last Jumanji?  I'm a fan of the Robin Williams led original but couldn't convince myself to see the new one....    and I am surprised they got to a sequel so fast.

52 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Did you see the last Jumanji?  I'm a fan of the Robin Williams led original but couldn't convince myself to see the new one....    and I am surprised they got to a sequel so fast.

I liked the first one. While it was odd to see Nick Jonas in the movie, my favorites had to be Jack Black's, The Rock's, and Kevin Heart's characters. The character Karen Gillan had in the movie was kick ass too. Not the worst not the best movie but certainly an enjoyable one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw IX as well and ... it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be.  But it also wasn't as great as it could have/should have been either.  I did also agree with one review I caught on the movie about it feeling like it was apologizing for issues from TLJ.

If I were to rate the three sets of movies

Original > new > prequel.

If I were to rank them out in series:

IV~=V >VI

II>III>I

VII>IX~=VIII

The original trilogy felt more fresh.

The prequel trilogy had its merits to fill out some of the backstories and backdrops brought up in the original trilogy but it was too weighed down by Lucas' fascination with digital movie making and really lacked the emotional context that was in the originals.  I feel like you could feel the Disney corporate machine being the puppet master over this next trilogy to milk the Star Wars brand for all its worth.  Honestly, I think of all the Disney Star Wars movies Rogue One is still the best overall.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:13 PM, IU said:

After watching a near 90 minute spoiler discussion on parts of the film, I think my curiosity has been satisfied, but if I am ever in the mood for an epic comedy I may watch The Rise of Skywalker. If I do see it, it won't be in a theater unless it's on a free ticket. 

Out of curiosity, did you ever see like Rogue One and Solo? Which I had recommended before but if you did not end up seeing them, would still recommend checking them out first honestly. They won't leave one cynical over a franchise about robots and space wizards like some of the sequel trilogy may have.

.... Now that I've seen Rise of Skywalker though, feel it was about as enjoyable as it could've been for the foundation it was unfortunately built on. On its own I would say RoS was decent, but as a trilogy this was still a mess. Too little too late for episode 9 to have been able to save it methinks, but with that said I still got mostly what I hoped for out of it, including that it buried everything it could about The Last Jedi. If I was to rank every film, it would probably be like

Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

The Rise of Skywalker

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Attack of the Clones

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

*If I was to include the spinoffs, Rogue One and Solo would be somewhere along the middle, or at least within the top 5.

As I suspected too, the movie reviewing pundits who rated Rise of Skywalker kinda low were the same people who liked The Last Jedi and gave it too high a score rating, which many Star Wars fans can agree felt misleading in hindsight. Knowing the TLJ people didn't like it gave me more confidence rather than worries.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Star Wars Rankings: 

My thoughts in 2017: 

1. Empire Strikes Back 

2. A New Hope

3. Force Awakens

4. The Last Jedi

5. Return of The Jedi

6. Revenge of The Sith

7. Phantom Menace 

8. Attack of the Clones

My thoughts in 2019: 

1. ESB (V) (Best ending. The best tragic one too.) 

2. ANH (IV) (Great start of a franchise, and its simple plot helps things. Won't ever take this back.) 

3. TFA (VII) (Pure fan-service. Glad the politics didn't detract away from the mystery of the force this time!) 

4. RTJ (VI) (Silly and stupid at times, but it has the best ending of the trilogies. At least the most satisfying.) 

5. ROS (IX) (Out there crazy and strange at times; and even though its ending is possibly the worst of the trilogies, stuff actually happens. Not the best of the sequel trilogy, but it still tries to fit the mood and it is satisfying.) 

6. RTS (III) (The darkest of the prequels; but don't tell me it couldn't escape the cheesiness of the prequel trilogy's scriptwriting problems at times. There are some great moments of tension, I'll admit.)  

7. TPM (I) (I admit it's the cheesiest and the most light-hearted of the movies, but... I'll take that over boring stuff and plots that go nowhere and don't have a good ending, thank you! It's bad, it's meme-able, and Rise of Skywalker is the one that might come the closest to its wackiness.)

8. TLJ (VIII) (Great interesting "thoughts" and characters... are undermined by a plot that goes nowhere till the third act. And even then, the tragic and dark stuff is not as strong as the third or fifth movies. I used to like this two years ago, but that was because I ignored the story structure. In a better script, this could have surpassed ESB for me.)   

9. ATC (II) (It's only the third act that saves the film entirely. Otherwise, it's just politics, bad lines and delivery. Also, I thought the name originally was THE CLONE WARS. That's how much I cared. And even though it led way to the whole Clone Wars expanded media, they cannot help elevate the original quality of this movie for me. TLJ didn't need other media to save its shortcomings.) 

That's my take on it nowadays. Thinking back on it, The Last Jedi is one of the most uneventful of the series for me. The pacing just felt way too slow for a series that has both slow and fast moments at the flick of a switch. But, that's because I remembered what happened in that movie the least of the series. 

Edited by XLW
4 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Out of curiosity, did you ever see like Rogue One and Solo? Which I had recommended before but if you did not end up seeing them, would still recommend checking them out first honestly. They won't leave one cynical over a franchise about robots and space wizards like some of the sequel trilogy may have.

I haven't watched anything new from Star Wars since leaving The Last Jedi. I think I would've liked Rogue One at the time of its release, but right now it's difficult to watch anything Star Wars that I haven't already seen. It may take watching either the original, animated Clone Wars or Revenge of the Sith again to really get me in the mood to give some of the other films a chance. 

Edited by IU

My favorite movies of 2019: 

1. ENDGAME

2. Joker

3. How To Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World 

4. Shazam!   

5. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

6. Spider-Man: Far From Home

7. Detective Pikachu   

8. Blinded By The Light

9. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  

10. Frozen II   

Edit: Even though it's a recording of a two day concert, Amazing Grace is still a fantastic event starring the legendary Aretha! 

Edited by XLW

All of these bad/mediocre reviews for Rise of Skywalker really lowered my expectations before seeing it, so I ended up liking it well enough. It's definitely ridiculously rushed, possibly as if the first half of the film was meant to be episode VIII, and I honestly don't like some of the plot reveals, but in the end it was a fun blockbuster movie.

Also saw Knives Out which was fantastic, highly recommend checking it out (and don't look up any other details about the movie, it's a mystery story).

On 12/27/2019 at 12:41 AM, XLW said:

My favorite movies of 2019: 

1. ENDGAME

2. Joker

3. How To Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World 

4. Shazam!   

5. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

6. Spider-Man: Far From Home

7. Detective Pikachu   

8. Blinded By The Light

9. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  

10. Frozen II   

Edit: Even though it's a recording of a two day concert, Amazing Grace is still a fantastic event starring the legendary Aretha! 

While I'd have to go through my 2019 movie viewings I will put some comments out there on yours.

Endgame, yes.

Joker, Hell yes.  Just so striking and different from other stuff out there and that ending!

Shazam, yes.  It amazed me how good that actually turned out.  Then, it amazed me more that they can somehow figure out WW, Aquaman, Shazam, and Joker but somehow can't get Superman and Justice League right.

Spiderman FFH ... honestly, I liked Into the Spiderverse better but both were good.  I really liked the nuggets they dropped in it with Nick Fury.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.....  Tarantino had been on such a good streak with me with Inglorious Basterds, Django, and The Hateful Eight that this one didn't impress me as much.  It had its moments, but felt underwhelming.  I did kind of feel invested in Leo's character story arc though, with the changing times in the movies and his acting issues.

I'd put Pet Sematary up there as one of my tops.

I wouldn't put Toy Story 4 up there.

Lion King (live action) I would.

The Dirt would be up there, but I think if you weren't familiar with or into Motley Crue it wouldn't be as big of a deal overall as say Bohemian Rhapsody was.

It Chapter Two I would.

Shaft 2019, NO.

Venom, I liked but I don't think it would make a top list.

Rambo Last Blood, NO.

Rise of the Skywalker....  I think I need a second viewing to go tops.  It had its moments but...

• 2 weeks later...