General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

12 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

@IU Thoughts on the new footage?

The old footage made me not care too much about the new footage. I don't know the situation around that scene of Rey at the end and it's hard for me to get hyped for what could be following how much potential Episode 8 wasted. I've heard speculation that that scene could be a vision she has and that sounds believable to me with how this new trilogy has gone. I think Rey will be fighting a dark side version of herself in an effort not to go to the dark side, and that conflict would be caused by Palpatine. I can see that being one of three lightsaber duels in the film: Rey vs. Kylo, Rey vs. Rey and Rey vs. Palpatine. If it's not a vision/if she goes dark, she needs to be a Skywalker and I wouldn't mind this trilogy ending with an epic lightsaber duel between her and Palpatine to be the main Sith Lord. Nothing like that encounter between Kylo and Luke in Episode 8. 

8 hours ago, alienboyva said:

REY NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 😱 That lightsaber tho. ...Eat your heart out, Darth Maul!!! coolkong;

Though, how cool would the be if the trilogy actually ends like this? Not sue if they would have the balls to do that or not.

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

I see it more as complementing Darth Maul and his weapon than one-upping him, but looks cool regardless. The real question for me is how the spirit of Sidious ends up influencing Rey...

@IU Thoughts on the new footage?

Meh....  Darth Maul's was cooler because it basically was a bo staff lightsaber.  Kylo's was cool because of the tri-handle.  Arguably the Stormtrooper that had the highly modified billy club was cool from TFA.

Not much else to go with..... sai won't cut it.  I don't think you break out the 3 part bo staffs that work kind of like a 3 piece nunchuck.  Hard to go  Asian/Middle Eastern with curved blade designs due to the nature of a lightsaber.

11 hours ago, IU said:

The old footage made me not care too much about the new footage. I don't know the situation around that scene of Rey at the end and it's hard for me to get hyped for what could be following how much potential Episode 8 wasted. I've heard speculation that that scene could be a vision she has and that sounds believable to me with how this new trilogy has gone. I think Rey will be fighting a dark side version of herself in an effort not to go to the dark side, and that conflict would be caused by Palpatine. I can see that being one of three lightsaber duels in the film: Rey vs. Kylo, Rey vs. Rey and Rey vs. Palpatine. If it's not a vision/if she goes dark, she needs to be a Skywalker and I wouldn't mind this trilogy ending with an epic lightsaber duel between her and Palpatine to be the main Sith Lord. Nothing like that encounter between Kylo and Luke in Episode 8. 

If dark side Rey does not get redeemed, I could see Kylo ironically becoming the hero, because who else would there be left to potentially stop her? I expect a better lightsaber fight between them regardless though, from what little the new footage showed.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:19 AM, Ridley Prime said:

Okay, this trailer may have actually sold me on the next Terminator.

I wish they'd let this franchise die already.  I remember when Arnold swore off sequels but we can get 6 Terminators now but not a 2nd True Lies or Kindergarten Cop.... the hell.

That said, I liked the story to #3, but they underfunded the budget to where it looked cheap.  #4 was a pretty brutal ass action movie and I liked its story as well--the end was definitely a "oh sh*" moment.  #5/Genysis....had some real cool ass elements but just wasn't cohesive in terms of story.

Dark Fate looks good and I'll watch it but this whole series has suffered from a flawed time traveling premise since it began.

Coming to America / DVD
--An all time great comedy, hopefully this new sequel won't suck.

Trading Places / DVD
--Another all time great comedy.

PotC Curse of the Black Pearl, On Stranger Tides / BR
--Getting ready for another season of Pirate football LOL.

The Firm / tv
--happened to be on Showtime, watched it.

The Peacemaker/dvd
--One of my first ever dvds into my collection.  Clooney and Kidman did have some chemistry in this one.

Batman The Series (60s) / BR
--Gotten back into trying to finish this box set LOL.

Batman The Animated Series / BR
--Gotten back into working on this series again.

The Fate of the Furious (aka F&F8 ) / BR
--starts off plausible then gets out of hand.  They have extended the reach of this franchise way too much.

Shazam/BR
--Got it as a birthday gift, I really like what they did with the movie.  DC did Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman right, why can't they get Batman, Superman, and Justice League right?

Goldfinger/dvd
--A great Bond movie.

American Pie 2 / dvd
--just because

Showgirls / dvd
--just because

Star Wars: The Last Jedi / NF (although I own the BR)
--All this Star Wars talk got me wanting to re-watch the most recent entry.

First Knights/NF
--Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen, yes please.  That said, the movie had possibilities but kind of struggled to keep my interest.  Kind of a cool mid evil tale of a multicultural kingdom of knights and corrupt leaders and how a noble one takes it on the chin for his master and then has to deal with the shame of letting his master die (even if it was his wish) and then letting that stigma sit with him and his family while the corrupt politician tries to a)make his moves and b) sabotage any revenge taken.  It was ok...

• 4 weeks later...