General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Alien Covenant / BR

--Not a bad follow up to Prometheus, and with a interesting twist.  That said, I am still of the opinion that Alien, Aliens, and AVP are the tops of the "franchise."

The Book of Eli / NF

--Just because, even if  own the BR for it.  I really liked it.

The Lion King / theater

--is it blasphemous I liked this one more than the animated one?  They played a lot of cards right and in some cases better than the first one.  Scar was quite nastier in this one.

Batman (original tv show) / BR

--Finally got back into working through that box set of the original show.  Adam West was/is THE MAN.

Days of Thunder/BR

--Not a bad NASCAR MOVIE IMO.  I thought the tie in to the two main characters with that accident was a good move and I liked how Tom Cruise was spurned by devious dealings with his dad and then has to deal with the new up and comer trying to take his spot.

Edited by purple_beard

Snow White and the Huntsman/BR
--Say what you want, I really liked this take on Snow White.  Charlize Theron killed it as Revenna (sp?).

The Huntsman Winter's War / BR
--Honestly I did like this one a little more than the first.  I do kind of hope they do a 3rd if they can keep the quality up.

Creed II / BR
--FINALLY got this on sale.  A solid entry in the Rocky/Creed series.  The thing that grabbed me about this movie is I was as wrapped up in the Rocky/Adonis story as Ivan and Viktor Drago's.  I honestly do think the deleted scene with the post final match conversations between parties was in the movie--it would help it a lot.

Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of GW / BR
--I liked this one a lot better than the first Beasts movie even if I do think the first one was better about the Beasts idea.  The special features were very cool on this disc.

I watched both The Lion King (2019) and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

First movie was not that bad... if you look past the CGI animals. And, plus I think that Beyonce song fits a lot better than that new song in Aladdin. 7.5-8. 

As for the second... it definitely hits all of the Tarantino boxes. Since I watched Pulp Fiction as the only Tarantino thing related before I saw this, it reminded me of his style. The movies about 2 hours and 40 minutes long... but, that doesn't take away from some of the wackiest and strangest stuff I've ever seen in a movie. Not my favorite movie of the year, but perhaps top 10. Since summer movies rarely get Oscars, though, who knows. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood / theater
--Hmmm, its not my favorite Tarantino movie.  The cinematography is Tarantinoesque.  The trademarked Tarantino violence isn't until the end.  I will say its an interesting way to tie in late 60s/early 70s Hollywood as a location, and the business of making movies, and the Manson Murders into a cohesive story.  With pretty much most of the prerelease interviews giving out Rick Dalton's issues I think they did that well.  Brad Pitt's stuntman story is interesting as well--especially some of interactions with people.  I'm going to leave rest to not give off spoilers.

21 hours ago, Kirbymeister2 said:

Saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood with my brother. Hilarious ending but damn it dragged on sometimes with things that ultimately had no ending arc. Still an entertaining movie of the year. 9.5/10

21 hours ago, XLW said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

As for the second... it definitely hits all of the Tarantino boxes. Since I watched Pulp Fiction as the only Tarantino thing related before I saw this, it reminded me of his style. The movies about 2 hours and 40 minutes long... but, that doesn't take away from some of the wackiest and strangest stuff I've ever seen in a movie. Not my favorite movie of the year, but perhaps top 10. Since summer movies rarely get Oscars, though, who knows. 

Agreed on the dragging, there were some frivolous scenes IMO.

Hmmm, like I said, it kind of did and didn't feel Tarantinoesque.  I would rank it near the bottom of my rankings for his movies.  I'd put KB2 and this near the bottom.  Reservoir Dogs and KB 1 at the top.  Pulp Fiction has the dialogue I love but the movie narrative didn't quite gell with me.  Jackie Brown was pretty good.  Django and Hateful 8 were very solid overall.  I also liked Inglorious Basterds a lot.  When I start ranking out the middle of my rankings I'd go:  IB>  Django > H8 > JB > PF.

Keep in mind guys, before I get a lot of blowback about PF being so low, as an overall movie and watching experience I moved it down from what I would consider better overall watching experiences.  But the dialogue makes it one of the most quotable movies of all time.

21 hours ago, XLW said:

I watched both The Lion King (2019) 

First movie was not that bad... if you look past the CGI animals. And, plus I think that Beyonce song fits a lot better than that new song in Aladdin. 7.5-8. 

Live action Lion King to me, worked a lot better than the animated original.

37 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Agreed on the dragging, there were some frivolous scenes IMO.

Hmmm, like I said, it kind of did and didn't feel Tarantinoesque.  I would rank it near the bottom of my rankings for his movies.  I'd put KB2 and this near the bottom.  Reservoir Dogs and KB 1 at the top.  Pulp Fiction has the dialogue I love but the movie narrative didn't quite gell with me.  Jackie Brown was pretty good.  Django and Hateful 8 were very solid overall.  I also liked Inglorious Basterds a lot.  When I start ranking out the middle of my rankings I'd go:  IB>  Django > H8 > JB > PF.

Keep in mind guys, before I get a lot of blowback about PF being so low, as an overall movie and watching experience I moved it down from what I would consider better overall watching experiences.  But the dialogue makes it one of the most quotable movies of all time.

I don't give one with PF because I haven't watched it y;.

Actually the only one of his movies I only did see was IB

Edited by Kirbymeister2

While I prefer the original animated Lion King (as expected), the CG one I found alright apart from Be Prepared, which was arguably the best song in the original but the least so here. The different scenes and lines that weren’t in the original were a welcome change too for the most part, imo. Something best enjoyed with family.

• 2 weeks later...

Transformers: The Movie / BR
--Found a G1 remake of Soundwave at WalMart the other day so I went home and rewatched that movie.  I still love it for what it was but killing Optimus Prime they way they did still doesn't sit well with me.

The Fast and the Furious
Too Fast too Furious
The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
Fast and Furious 6 / BR
--My faves are 1,2,3, and 4.
--From 5 was pretty solid with the full cast of characters getting back together.
--6 and 7 started putting this thing into utter ridiculousness.

Hobbs & Shaw / theater
--So, if you want that buddy action comedy badassness from beginning to end this does deliver.  The Rock and Jason Statham have good on screen chemistry in these roles.  I even kind of liked the overall story they got into.  Where this movie takes its lumps from me is a) Ryan Reynolds in cameo form still can't shake his asshole with a mouth typecasting after Deadpool, b) Kevin Hart is now in the same boat provided nearly the same comic relief smartmouth in all of his movies, c) the whole family angle is getting a little overdone in this series, and finally d) this movie series started off about being about street racing, gear heads from tuner to ricer to muscle, and the characters and situations you would run into in that kind of world to something in a completely different stratosphere from where it started--it has now gone past reasonable belief that they would be in these situations.  Definitely a fun time waster.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, purple_beard said:

Hobbs & Shaw / theater
--So, if you want that buddy action comedy badassness from beginning to end this does deliver.  The Rock and Jason Statham have good on screen chemistry in these roles.  I even kind of liked the overall story they got into.  Where this movie takes its lumps from me is a) Ryan Reynolds in cameo form still can't shake his asshole with a mouth typecasting after Deadpool, b) Kevin Hart is now in the same boat provided nearly the same comic relief smartmouth in all of his movies, c) the whole family angle is getting a little overdone in this series, and finally d) this movie series started off about being about street racing, gear heads from tuner to ricer to muscle, and the characters and situations you would run into in that kind of world to something in a completely different stratosphere from where it started--it has now gone past reasonable belief that they would be in these situations.  Definitely a fun time waster.

Yeah, but Samoans! Except for The Rock, we barely get any movies that have that demographic.  

Speaking of which, I watched it because I wanted to see if one of my manager’s crush did well in that movie. Given the material, they were really fun to watch. At least they had competent direction.

Aquaman / BR 
--Loved this movie.  I got the BR as a birthday present.  What I liked about it was it made Aquaman feel somewhat cool (versus some other incarnations), it got into all the politics of his heritage and his home--sort of like how Black Panther was handled IMO, and the action and the comedy all worked.  And with this entry in the DC cinematic universe one has to wonder how they could do Shazam, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman all right but somehow keep struggling with Superman and Batman as far as the current stuff goes.  That truly baffles the mind.

Avengers Endgame / BR
--Culmination of probably one of the most intricate interconnected movie franchise scenarios ever constructed.  The only two things that come mind that are close are the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts line of movies and arguably the James Bond franchise.   But, back to Endgame, a pretty fitting end and hit a lot of good marks with action, comedy, and drama.  Very fitting that it started with Iron Man and ended with Iron Man's funeral.