General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

On 7/3/2019 at 4:39 AM, EH_STEVE said:

Spider-Man was awesome. I really hope they (Sony) let Marvel and Tom Holland keep this franchise going for a long time.

Especially because of the mid-credits scene! Could really change up the dynamic for a future film.

Anyway, yeah I loved Far From Home as well. Felt like an appropriately light film after the huge, world-changing stuff of Infinity War/Endgame while still acknowledging the consequences of Endgame.

Far From Home

Spoiler

I liked it, but I don't get what they're doing with Aunt May in these movies. She seems totally unconcerned that her nephew is risking his life, even actively encouraging him to do superhero stuff on vacation. There are so few adults around at this point who are genuinely concerned for Peter's safety. On top of that, they keep doing the "whoa, Aunt May is HOT!" joke that Homecoming ran into the ground, and is only funny in a meta sense because Aunt May is usually ancient in other interpretations of the character, and is honestly starting to feel a little demeaning to this version of the character. It's one of the few character traits she's given, and it's hard to act like we're still meant to take her seriously considering she's hooking up with Happy, the comic relief sidekick.

Other grievances: I'm kinda ready for a Spider-man villain who isn't tied into the rest of the MCU. We've now had two classic villains reinterpreted as disgruntled victims of Tony Stark's actions in previous movies. Iron Man continues to have such a big role in Spider-man's story, and there are good reasons for that, but on top of usurping Uncle Ben's role as dead mentor that Peter struggles to live up to (and an inferior Uncle Ben at that, as a reckless, irresponsible father figure without much of a consistent moral compass) Spider-man continues to inherit his villains from Iron Man even though he himself is a pretty established hero at this point. No other major hero's movies have been this subservient to the greater MCU and I can't help but think they're just trying to find any way they can to differentiate this from previous iterations of the franchise by cramming it with MCU stuff.

That being said I had a good time with it. That mid-credits tag was pretty crazy, too. Interested to see what they do next with the series.

Far From Home, Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 are the top-tier Spider-Man films in my opinion. I'm hopeful that a third MCU Spider-Man film will move away from heavily tying a villain to Tony Stark, but I'm okay with that connection in this film just due to the events of End Game and the tactics of the film's antagonist. I did feel like the actual final encounter with the main antagonist was a little underwhelming compared to the intensity of their first battle and would have preferred it to have been a scene of Spider-Man going up against illusions of several Avengers in that hallway heading toward Mysterio: Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Captain America, Rescue, Thor and Ant-Man come to mind. 

19 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Looks okay on the surface, but reminder there will be no Mushu but instead some phoenix, and no Shang but someone more sexist to antagonize Mulan (ugh). No get down to business song with that said I assume.

Was this confirmed? ...Because to me, this seemed like everyone was just speculating after seeing that teaser. I mean, it is a teaser after all.

2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yes, it was mentioned before the trailer came out.

Well, that's unfortunate. :(  I take it they're going for an older audience here, like with PotC movies...? I kinda like the fact that they're not doing another straight live-action recreation of one of their animated films, but you gotta at least have "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You". I would still like to have seen Mushu in some form, even if he doesn't have as big of a part. I mean, how could would it be to have had Eddie Murphy back as Mushu?

I still think this movie is going so be pretty good (really looking forward to a full trailer), because out of all the Disney animated films, I feel this wold work best adapted to live-action. So, just think of this like how they take some liberties when adapting a book into a movie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, was that Keiko from Star Trek TNG and DS9 @0:11? :o 

r0PpFAu.png

EDIT: It was her!!! ^_^

Edited by alienboyva

Quick thoughts on Supergirl's 4th season as I have about 4 episodes left to finish it.

This used to be the lightest of the CW DC shows but it seems this season has gone full political in tone and a lot darker.  I mean I don't know much about her full story canon but Agent Liberty & Sons of Liberty, The President, Alien Amnesty Act, DEO and command(s), Russian Supergirl, Manchester Black (for English/Brexit), ect....  it seems like nearly every story point play is on a political topic.  Aside from me thinking its too upfront about these things, I actually think it has made  for one of the best seasons for the show.  Also, not knowing much about Manchester Black and ALL of Martian Manhunter's deals, I have found that story arc quite interesting as well.

43 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Quick thoughts on Supergirl's 4th season as I have about 4 episodes left to finish it.

This used to be the lightest of the CW DC shows but it seems this season has gone full political in tone and a lot darker.  I mean I don't know much about her full story canon but Agent Liberty & Sons of Liberty, The President, Alien Amnesty Act, DEO and command(s), Russian Supergirl, Manchester Black (for English/Brexit), ect....  it seems like nearly every story point play is on a political topic.  Aside from me thinking its too upfront about these things, I actually think it has made  for one of the best seasons for the show.  Also, not knowing much about Manchester Black and ALL of Martian Manhunter's deals, I have found that story arc quite interesting as well.

Agreed. While the political overtones were obvious from the start with where they were going, Ben Lockwood/Agent Liberty, Manchester Black (who I first came to know in the Superman vs The Elite animated movie, all of whom are portrayed similarly in the Supergirl season), and the Lex Luthor they brought in as the icing on the cake, all created what I would argue to be Supergirl's best season yet. J'onn was always in the show too, but it wasn't really until this season that he really got pushed and forced in such situations to fight as the Martian Manhunter, so I liked that as well.

Fun bit of trivia, the guy who plays J'onn's father is the one who voiced J'onn in the Justice League cartoons. I recognized the voice right away.

9 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Agreed. While the political overtones were obvious from the start with where they were going, Ben Lockwood/Agent Liberty, Manchester Black (who I first came to know in the Superman vs The Elite animated movie, all of whom are portrayed similarly in the Supergirl season), and the Lex Luthor they brought in as the icing on the cake, all created what I would argue to be Supergirl's best season yet. J'onn was always in the show too, but it wasn't really until this season that he really got pushed and forced in such situations to fight as the Martian Manhunter, so I liked that as well.

Fun bit of trivia, the guy who plays J'onn's father is the one who voiced J'onn in the Justice League cartoons. I recognized the voice right away.

Lex was interesting...  Also the relationship between, mother, daughter, Lex and Leena.....

So... I noticed there's been a pretty big influx of anime with Netflix recently, far as Netflix buying them up to make more or less exclusive to their platform. I know there's other anime streaming services like Crunchyroll too, but I think this could help Netflix far as maintaining subscribers when Disney+ drops and whatnot, anime being one of the only things Disney can't touch, or take away from Netflix rather.

I first noticed decent anime on Netflix with Seven Deadly Sins (and Castlevania if you count that even though it's a Western made animation), but now with Kakegurui and a bunch of other properties Netflix has kinda bought up to have, which I had recently been watching, I think all this anime (exclusive and non-exclusive) could take them a long way. And yeah, I know about the Evangelion netflix dub controversy, but as long as they don't continually fuck up like that, anime can still make them more successful.

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit / BR
--I liked it.  I liked the angle they took in terms of how Jack Ryan got into the CIA.  I am kind of surpised we haven't gotten a second installment with Chris Pine as Jack Ryan though as I thought he did a good job.

Rambo I / BR
--I really liked the story of how he got treated leading him to go back to his military training BUT I also think the plot is very thin in that if that cop never harasses him you have no story past him walking through the town.

Escape Plan 2 / BR
--I liked the first one well enough but was surprised the 2nd one went direct to video.  I held out till it got cheap enough and got about a month ago.  Finally decided to watch it. Overall, it is not as good as the first one however, I did like story angle of a former employee that got fired taking his "bent on tech is the best prison" position and creating a super prison based on it and and trying to show Stallone's character tech is better was good idea.  The other angle involving the other former associate of Stallone's character and his deal with "patience" and how to endure to get out of a prison.  I find it kind of poor advertising though to throw Batista's mug on the box art and he isn't really featured in the movie.

Legends of Tomorrow S4 / NF
--Ok, overall, it wasn't a bad season and I kind of liked Constantine being featured for it.  And while admittedly this series has been one of the lighter fare's of the CW's DC universe I found Gary and the Asian girl to be a little much.  I have no background on John Constantine's background as a character but somehow the bi/homosexual angle they took with him in this season felt a little weird as well as the overdoing it of the  ____ and ____'s lesbian couple's "issues".  I don't mind it being in the series but it did kind of feel a little over done versus organic.  I'd have to go back to prior episodes for the CW's version of Constantine to see if they even alluded to it because when he first appeared in Arrow S_ I don't think they ever got into that with him.  Also, it kind of made me want to go back and watch Keanu Reeves Constantine movie again ( I did like it, just not overly so).  I did kind of find it odd that they didn't include them the annual crossover episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Constantine , well I stand corrected so never mind.

Public Enemies / BR
--A pretty good gangster flick.  While I like it, I still think The Untouchables has been the best movie about that era that I have seen.

A Good Day to Die Hard / BR
--Not a bad 5th movie in the series but some of it felt kind of forced to make a #5.  I actually thought #4 felt more inline with the series up to that point.

The Patriot / dvd
--Not a bad Mel Gibson flick.  Upon my rewatch of it, I was astounded at how many actors I recognized were in it.  I am kind of surprised we haven't had more Revolutionary war movies done.

Edited by purple_beard

http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-details-on-hbo-max-netflix-split/

Interesting news....

I think these SVOD services that will be cropping up over the next few years will cause some rifts in the marketplace.  What I mean is, follow the economics, so "everyone" offers their own SVOD service at $x/mo and the content starts to go provider specific, people start to add up the costs and go it was cheaper to..... , then it reverts back to bundling to save.  Personally I have just NetFlix.  Didn't overly like Crackle because the compression sucked and I disliked the ad cuts every 15m of the movie I was watching.  Don't watch HBO now so won't do them.  The Disney and others coming seem to be making the $s spread to thin.   ESPN's stuff is what is going to be interesting as far as my own habits go--especially since my particular cable package nets me all the ESPNs worth watching and free access to ESPN3 based on my ISP but the ESPN+ they want to transition to leaves a lot of holes IMO.  Also, it will be interesting to see how the old FOXRSNs handle content because they are the only way I can see Hurricanes and Hornets games, granted the Hurricanes have proper feeds but they dump SD letterbox feeds for the Hornets on some random alt channel that you have to know its there to even watch them....but I digress.