General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

3 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Yeah, Lucy seemed very unnecessary. 

Definitely.

She seemed to only be there to serve the plot. Meaning finding out about the R drug. And even how that was handled was rather clumsy. How both she and Tim got into that factory was way too easy.

Det. Pikachu. 

She was part of the original game, I think, and had a big role, so her inclusion seemed important. And she was a little necessary to move the plot forward, as I think she was the one to tell them the connection between Harry's last movements and Rhyme Wharf. Maybe also found about the research lab's location. I think I forgot some moments, but had her character been handled a little better, she would've been okay.  

As for the factory... well, only Tim and Lucy thought it Harry's "death" was an accident, so any kind of security could've given it away that the place was hiding something. 

But, Lucy's Psyduck's meltdown attack in the movie came out of nowhere. Where was that in the games?!

5 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah, Lucy was a character in the source material/Detective Pikachu game. All the characters were pretty much, though this is one of the rare exceptions where the movie is better than the game it was based on, IMO at least.

Ah. Just curious, how was it better? Was Lucy less annoying in game or more so?

33 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

The overall look and presentation. She was based on one of the reporters in the game but not by the same name. I guess you'd probably find her less annoying there, but I didn't have a problem with her character in the movie. /shrug

Ah I see. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Ah. Just curious, how was it better? Was Lucy less annoying in game or more so?

I played the game and the movie does a lot better in a lot of aspects. The movie gets rid of a lot of the filler of the game, and...

Unlike the game, Henry's fate is known. Roger being the good guy in this movie was a brilliant red herring, considering in the game, he's evil and the main antagonist. And the use of Chemical R is a lot better used in the movie, since in the game, the chemical's use at the carnival is immediately halted/Tim finds a way to turn off the machine that had Chemical R/ there were never any balloons filled with R. The movie is a lot more action noir-based, even though there is less puzzle-solving. For what the movie fixed, it's definitely an upgrade. Last, Tim is a lot more likable in the movie.

Edited by XLW
2 minutes ago, XLW said:

I played the game and the movie does a lot better in a lot of aspects. The movie gets rid of a lot of the filler of the game, and...

Hide contents

Unlike the game, Henry's fate is known. Roger being the good guy in this movie was a brilliant red herring, considering in the game, he's evil. And the use of Chemical R is a lot better used in the movie. The movie is a lot more action noir-based, even though there is less puzzle-solving. And, in the game, the chemical's use at the carnival is immediately halted. For what the movie fixed, it's definitely an upgrade. And Tim is a lot more likable in the movie.

Ah I see, I agree with you there.

Glad they went that route, making him be the red herring in the movie. Just wish they would have made it more of a challenge in terms of getting in the factory. That was the weakest part of the film, apart from Lucy. How was he like in the game?

More spoilers.

Like his father in this movie, he seemed friendly until he revealed his true colors around the last act. But, unlike his father who wanted to live through Mewtwo and make the world a better place by combining Pokemon and people, he just wanted to rule the world with Chemical R. Honestly, his father did a better heel turn. 

Edited by XLW
1 hour ago, XLW said:

More spoilers.

Hide contents

Like his father in this movie, he seemed friendly until he revealed his true colors around the last act. But, unlike his father who wanted to live through Mewtwo and make the world a better place by combining Pokemon and people, he just wanted to rule the world with Chemical R. Honestly, his father did a better heel turn. 

I agree with you there, cutting out that extra heel turn makes the end seem a bit more believable.

Edited by Doc Brown

This has potential for Batman, but would still prefer they keep Cavill for Superman.

edit: I hope the rumor's not true about Penguin and Catwoman being the villains for the film and they stick to Deathstroke. That would annoy me more than the Batman re-cast ever did. They should be going the Spider-Man approach and using villains that haven't been on the big screen before. At least Black Mask will be in Birds of Prey apparently.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Finally got a chance to see Detective Pikachu yesterday and it honestly wasn't all that bad.  There's plenty to nitpick about here and there but I think it did a great job simply being entertaining and the references were all really great, too.  If nothing else I think it went a long to really pushing how best Pokemon would work as a live action movie.  There's a lot about the movie I can mention that I liked a lot but there was one sequence in particular that did something I never thought about before and kind of works as an out of the box kind of thinking of how Pokemon in the real world could be used in different ways:

Spoiler

Seeing the Loudred in the underground arena beatboxing as the soundtrack for what was going on.  Then when they were infected with "R" it went all dubstep which was a really cool and hilarious touch.

Also, was all the art in the end credits Ken Sugimori's work?  Because they did a great job with that sequence and it even made me a bit nostalgic.

Wow... so out of date ... so....

** THE MCU Movies I own / BR
--prepped up for Endgame.  Mainly wanted to hit some highpoints of story points and post watching Endgame I went back to a few for some background as well.

Star Wars / BR
--Ep 1 -- 20th anniversary ya know
--The Last Jedi --wanted some rewatch when the trailer for the new one hit
--Solo -- for that Chewie homage
--Ep 4, 5, and 6 for more Chewie love

Terminator, Terminator Genysis / BR
--for time travel discussion based on events of Endgame

Back to the Future II / BR
--Time travel discussion based on events of Endgame

The Hateful Eight SE / NF
--Decided to watch the 4 part episodic format Tarantino put out on NF for the movie.  I honestly haven't come across new material like it is supposed to have for this Director's Cut of the movie or I haven't noticed it if it has had some new content.  I've completed Episodes 1-3 so far.

Wanted/ NF
--I liked the original enough to rewatch on NF.  Not a bad action movie but it never captured my mind enough for me to own it.  Decent talent pool of actors though.

John Wick & 2 / BR
--Reupping my memory banks for checking out #3 at the theater soon.  I like a lot of elements in the first two even if by mind the botched some of the fight choreography.

Alien/BR
--just wanted to watch.

Arrow S8/NF
-- First two episodes tonight since I saw it just hit NF.  Wow... they are going full on action movie route this time.  Honestly, that is what I kind of like about the series.  It is less fluff than Supergirl, Black  Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, and The Flash.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome/BR
--just wanted to.

X Men Days of Future Past/BR
--One of my faves in the new XMen movies.  Really, in this new line of films, only Apocalypse kind of underwhelmed me.  Hopefully they do Dark Phoenix better than what was told in X Men III The Last Stand because that one just wasn't that good.

The Dark Knight Rises/BR
--just wanted to.

Kindergarten Cop 2/ NF
--man.... this one was a struggle.  I mean, yeah Dolph plays Arnold's equivalent to the story well enough, but the movie just felt underdone.

Well, since they are delaying the movie, SONIC BETTER LOOK LIKE SONIC! 

The writing is still going to be what it is, but if they just make Sonic look like Sonic, it won't be a complete shit-show.

Valentine's Day, Eh? 😏

Edited by alienboyva

John Wick 3 / theater
Whoa....  the movie makes my T10 badass action movies of all time.  There was nothing not badass about it.  The story was a pretty good way to pick up after 2.  I think my only gripe right now as the franchise sits at 3 installments is what is the deal with the High Table, the Continental, and what exactly did Wick do to get himself out of it the first time.  I mean, with the way the ties between all of these are set up, he must have done some truly next level sh* to barter his way out.

John Wick 3 has more great action scenes but I had the same problem with it as JW2: explaining the details of the underworld network of assassins makes it less interesting. The first film had just the right amount of intrigue in introducing this unique society without prompting too many questions that take you out of the film's world.

6 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

John Wick 3 has more great action scenes but I had the same problem with it as JW2: explaining the details of the underworld network of assassins makes it less interesting. The first film had just the right amount of intrigue in introducing this unique society without prompting too many questions that take you out of the film's world.

Ehh.... I'd like to know what is the mythology behind it though...  how did it come to be and how did it get its rules.  With how it has played out over 3 movies so far I am even more interested in finding out about its hierarchy and what exactly did Wick have to pull off to get to being retired.  I mean, the covering markers, and blood stained markers, makes sense but it seems like there is a lot more there.

The Hateful Eight DC/ NF

--I liked the movie as is, and honestly I can't tell what was added to make it a 4 episode watch.  Whatever was new or added didn't stand out to me.

I saw Aladdin. 2019

... As much as I know Will Smith said he could never be better than Robin Williams as the Genie, there was something about the movie's energy that made it seem like it was slower than the animated one and not as much livelier. The 90s one felt like it was a lot faster and had a lot more pizzaz and action compared to this movie. I felt like The Beauty And The Beast live action version worked a lot better because it was slower, even though I know it's not perfect as well. Aladdin benefits from its comedy and action moments a lot more than Beauty And The Beast, and Beauty And The Beast feels a lot more dramatic in tone compared to the other Renaissance Disney movies. I tried to enjoy the movie despite my original hesitation, but that original spark did come about for me.

That... and the change of the musical numbers felt weird, and there were a few new songs that I don't think worked for the character in question. I felt they were just added for Oscar nominations.