General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

On 5/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, XLW said:

Saw Detective Pikachu. 

Some odd Pokémon looks... but I think it’s much better than the game it’s based on.

Gengar was the only one I thought looked weird. Loved the movie though, hope they do another "in the universe"

Saw Detective Pikachu on Friday. I realize this is faint praise, but it's the best video game adaption I've seen. 

A lot of video game movies are rubbish that don't understand/don't respect the source material, but Detective Pikachu absolutely does and manages to be fun while doing so. 

Set a record- best opening weekend box office for a video game adaption. Avengers Endgame still won the weekend. It hasn't overtaken Avatar yet, but Green Zoe Saldana is approaching Blue Zoe Saldana. 

3 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

It was gonna be the most successful game adaption just on Pokemon's brand name alone, but to say there's been no good or successful ones before it is BS (not directed at you btw). Planning to see it tomorrow, but still.

I liked Tomb Raider (newest) and the RE movies were entertaining.

Mortal Kombat the movie is still loved to this day by the creators of the series. The last game, and even the current game (MK11) has various references to it, the most major being the movie Shang Tsung as your tour guide in the krypt, modeled and voiced by the actor who played him, who will also be the first DLC character.

Rampage really had heart because of Dwayne Johnson. Also enjoyed him and the cast in Doom. That’s my dumb fun pick if I were to choose.

I saw Detective Pikachu yesterday with my family, and I enjoyed it. For most of the beginning of the movie, I was loosely paying attention to the story and was more so checking out what Pokemon were being shown and how they looked within the film's more realistic style. Throughout the movie it was always exciting to see a new Pokemon appear on screen and see how they were imagined for this world. I thought the overall story was fine, and better than what typically would be a story for a mainline Pokemon adventure. My favorite scene was seeing the full extent of the Torterra Garden(s) and I really liked how they handled Mewtwo in general as well. 

23 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Mortal Kombat the movie is still loved to this day by the creators of the series. The last game, and even the current game (MK11) has various references to it, the most major being the movie Shang Tsung as your tour guide in the krypt, modeled and voiced by the actor who played him, who will also be the first DLC character.

Rampage really had heart because of Dwayne Johnson. Also enjoyed him and the cast in Doom. That’s my dumb fun pick if I were to choose.

Awesome. I really liked that movie. Cool. Glad they did that as well.

-----------------------------

Just saw Aquaman, and like Venom... I thought it was pretty good. Don't get why so many people disliked it. It was like a lot of super hero movies. It gets a 7/10 from me overall. Also saw the Girl in the Spider's Web. It was good, but the plot felt rather thin in parts. It gets a 6/10 from me.

Edited by Doc Brown

I agree on the Mewtwo bit. With the kind of role it had, would've been better as a surprise, but marketing nowadays...

Loved the film itself though. Might've actually liked it even more than End Game, just on the joy it brought me as a refreshing experience. The perfect fuzzy designs gave me a newfound love for Pikachu and the like. Wish the Charizard had more screen time but it was cute seeing it whimper before Gyarados. Mewtwo was pretty spot on also. Being possessed by Howard would explain why its appearance seemed kinda off when I first saw it in the trailer bits, but when Mewtwo was being itself, it was perfect.

I have the CW channel anyway, so this doesn't really affect me, though I liked its DC shows being on Netflix to rewatch some of the seasons with a friend or two on occasion, but this doesn't feel like that big a loss.

The Batwoman doesn't interest me that much, though will check out the first episode at least to see if it's worth my time, but apart from that, we're nearing the end of an era with the CWverse, with Arrow ending with its final season later this year, and the Flash feeling like it won't be far behind. Some shows will probably still continue, but it seems my investment with the CW DC shows for the most part has run its course at this point.

Went out and saw Detective Pikachu today. Really liked it, it's far from perfect, but still worth the watch. It gets an 8/10 from me overall, 7/10 (if I include any of the weak points I saw in the film).

Really liked it...

Minus the news person with the Psyduck. She got on my nerves a bit. Really got creeped out by Ditto though. Holy Arceus, is it creepy! Even more so than Mr. Mime.

There was one part that really cracked me up. Tim's dad had his tv on and the movie they were showing was the VERY same one from the Home Alone movies! :) Totally geeked out over that!

https://kotaku.com/detective-pikachu-director-explains-a-most-unexpected-e-1834743814

Edited by Doc Brown
8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Went out and saw Detective Pikachu today. Really liked it, it's far from perfect, but still worth the watch. It gets an 8/10 from me overall, 7/10 (if I include any of the weak points I saw in the film).

Really liked it...

Reveal hidden contents

Minus the news person with the Psyduck. She got on my nerves a bit. Really got creeped out by Ditto though. Holy Arceus, is it creepy! Even more so than Mr. Mime.

There was one part that really cracked me up. Tim's dad had his tv on and the movie they were showing was the VERY same one from the Home Alone movies! :) Totally geeked out over that!

https://kotaku.com/detective-pikachu-director-explains-a-most-unexpected-e-1834743814

Yeah, Lucy seemed very unnecessary.