General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

The other two guys? Finn and other flier guy? 

Also, saw Captain Marvel. My only complaint is that it seems VERY familiar to another movie of the same universe. 

Guardians. Captain Marvel originally was like an alien, like another superhero. Some of the villains make their debut, AND... it fits right down to the stellar soundtrack. But 90s.

Episode 9 will probably be a better experience than The Last Jedi since my expectations will be pretty low following the worst movie I've seen in any series I've been invested in. The teaser though to me looks like more of the same from the previous two episodes in how they were shown. I'm worried that Rey and Kylo aren't even going to duel lightsaber to lightsaber. Already it looks like Kylo is going after Rey in a ship for what looks like a 1-on-1 confrontation, and he seems to have forgotten how to use his own lightsaber with how he's slamming someone instead of just cutting them down. I also don't understand how Rey isn't outrunning that ship with the force since she has been so capable with force abilities without training prior to this episode. The return of Palpatine and Lando are cash grabs within the teaser to me, and it's a shame that Disney built such a poorly done trilogy that it still needs to pull from the past for its finale. Personally, I will be interested to see more of Episode 9's trailers, but I'm not going to spend money on this unless I either see a hint of a lightsaber duel in a trailer or if a film reviewer I trust gives the film at least an okay rating for the movie. I'm not walking into another TLJ. 

1 hour ago, IU said:

Episode 9 will probably be a better experience than The Last Jedi since my expectations will be pretty low following the worst movie I've seen in any series I've been invested in. The teaser though to me looks like more of the same from the previous two episodes in how they were shown. I'm worried that Rey and Kylo aren't even going to duel lightsaber to lightsaber. Already it looks like Kylo is going after Rey in a ship for what looks like a 1-on-1 confrontation, and he seems to have forgotten how to use his own lightsaber with how he's slamming someone instead of just cutting them down. I also don't understand how Rey isn't outrunning that ship with the force since she has been so capable with force abilities without training prior to this episode. The return of Palpatine and Lando are cash grabs within the teaser to me, and it's a shame that Disney built such a poorly done trilogy that it still needs to pull from the past for its finale. Personally, I will be interested to see more of Episode 9's trailers, but I'm not going to spend money on this unless I either see a hint of a lightsaber duel in a trailer or if a film reviewer I trust gives the film at least an okay rating for the movie. I'm not walking into another TLJ. 

Lando was pretty much a given. Fans wanted him back since they brought back the other OT heroes. It wouldn't of been right for people to make him an exception and leave him out of the sequel trilogy entirely, especially while the original actor's still alive, not to mention Lando was well received in/one of the better parts of the Han Solo film. Palpatine on the other hand though I can agree was desperation, but lumping Lando with him doesn't make sense to me.

Well since here we are with Palps, I hope they don't copy the EU (expanded universe) with a Palpatine clone, but rather a force ghost made from a Sith ritual or something. They already retconned previous lore stuff for TLJ to happen, like ghost Yoda having lightning, so why not? He could also be just a hologram from a holocron recording or something, but that would be a little too deceptive with the way they teased him... I get why they went with Sidious after Rian Johnson wasted Snoke, as they were in a desperate state after TLJ universally disappointed people, not to mention Kylo alone isn't enough to carry the film as a villain, but still, the idea of Sidious being back in any form kinda takes away from Anakin/Vader's sacrifice and the idea of the whole chosen one prophecy which is my main problem here.

The worst part about this trilogy overall is how they made things up as they went along (different directors and conflicting ideas involved) instead of having one coherent vision for a trilogy, like George Lucas had, even though he dropped the ball in other aspects. That said, I'm still curious enough to see episode 9 and how it all ends, though I don't blame anyone still skeptical despite how well put together the trailer was. I thought Rey dodging the ship and jumping over it was pretty meta. Hopefully that's buildup to a lightsaber duel.

Now that I think about it, seeing a force ghost vs force ghost encounter between Luke and Palpatine would be epic, though doubt they'll go there.

And remembering how Darth Plagueis or rather Sidious made such a big deal about the idea of trying to cheat death in episode III, maybe this return of his is what it builds up to. In the old EU, the Sith apparently found a different way from the Jedi to return as spirits, so perhaps Palpatine learned how to do so in the Disney canon as well. Stranger things have happened, but again, I doubt we would be here with him if not for TLJ wasting Snoke's character.

Just got back from seeing Shazam! with my little sister, and it's a great time. Pretty much every time Dr. Sivana appeared on screen, I was excited to see what he was going to do and generally was smiling whenever he did do something within the film. It's refreshing to me to see a villain actually be a problem for the superhero and bring in some darker tone to balance out the rest of the film. I would say the boardroom scene with Dr. Sivana and the ending with Freddy were the stand out scenes for me personally, covering two different extremes. I definitely was on the verge of a tear or two for that ending, but it did make me wish Warner Bros. had their shit together. Shazam! is the best film I've seen in theaters since last year's Infinity War and Black Panther, and it did remind me that I really need to see Aqua Man. I'll probably check out Aqua Man for the first time tomorrow. 

Edited by IU

Saw End Game with my family this evening and it's great. I thought the tone was handled much better than in Infinity War, and it felt like a film that matched the build up. I would recommend watching nearly all of the prior MCU movies for some of the film's references to make sense. I don't recommend seeing Captain Marvel, but do recommend catching up on some details from that film before going in to see End Game. I left End Game having more of an interest in what's next in the MCU than I did leading up to seeing the film. 

9 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Man...I just don't know.... I just don't know...

Jim Carey giving me overdone bad Jim Carey vibes even if I do think he could pull off Robotnik.

I think for putting him the real world this was about as good as it might be.

Something about him just looks off in terms of character design but maybe he doesn't translate as well to live action as maybe the Pokemon movie Detective Pikachu might.

What does Coolio's Gangstas Paradise have to do with anything Sonic related?

Edited by purple_beard