General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

image.thumb.png.2b49db925c0b2cc6a190f4593457c1a2.png

This is pretty accurate even with an accidental double click, but I will say that the movies ranked in the teens are pretty close for me for the most part. The Top 5 the quiz gave me is spot on, and as for the bottom I think Doctor Strange is too low. I think Doctor Strange could be right there with Dark World in a mid-teens rank. Guardians Vol. 1 gets a boost from me over Vol. 2 due to how much of an impression its soundtrack left on me. That movie got me back into the music that I grew up with and I recall listening to that movie's songs for at least several months following seeing it in theaters. Vol. 1 is the only Marvel movie I've really made an effort to see as at the time I didn't own a vehicle and so my dad, sister and I walked about a mile to a theater nearby to see that movie day one. It's the Marvel movie that I had the most chills/goosebumps with during my first viewing.

4 hours ago, purple_beard said:

DP has earned its hype train.

Why is it always the 3rd Xmen movie that messes that series up?  X3?  Apocalypse?  They start strong then f* it up.

F4, honestly, I did like the first two movies.  Silver Surfer more so than the first one.  I never saw that reboot,  because, the eye test told me that was hot garbage.

I wonder if I trust Disney to interconnect the "Avengers" side of things and the "X Men" side of things.

The 3rd movie curse exists with most series to be fair. lol Since Apocalypse himself is kinda my favorite Marvel villain though (being the Darkseid or Thanos equivalent for the X-Men as a villain archetype), I'm kinda biased for the titlular film, liking it more than most... Liked it, but didn't love it. It gave Apoc a half-decent portrayal but then kinda stopped halfway, and the horsemen like Arch-Angel were even more rushed and worsely done... Apocalypse was still better than X3 The Last Stand by a long shot, though that's not saying too much. Still, I liked the "2nd trilogy" (First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse) for X-Men much more than I did the first trilogy. X2 was overhyped outside of Nightcrawler I felt and the first one from 2000 definitely doesn't hold up now.

At least with MCU, I can now hope for an eventual proper Apocalypse & X-Men portrayal which there should be much buildup to Apocalypse like there was with Thanos (it felt like Fox suddenly rushed to Apocalypse rather than building him up properly). As much as I like Magneto too, he tends to be overused/overdone, though I expect they'll use him plenty first for the MCU. Shame if they can't use Quicksilver again since there was already an established Quicksilver in the MCU who died in Age of Ultron, but I honestly liked the Fox one better. He was more hammy and entertaining.

Fair enough on Fantastic 4. There was something to enjoy with the first couple films, silly as they were.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Watched Motley Crue: The Dirt.
* liked it but you could tell it kind of lacked the budget a movie about them should have but from the interview accounts, all the major players wanted to sanitize it and they stuck to their guns and made it as real as possible.  I kind of liked the way the touched each's personal history up to the point of the band being formed, then kind of each's own self destructive path and key points in their life, that factored into their redemption and their official end a few years ago. 

I still need to watch that sometime; added it to my list.

One Netflix original series I really started enjoying recently when I began watching it is The Order. Is about magic, werewolves, and such. I don't enjoy it quite as much as like Stranger Things, but it's up there.

Edited by Ridley Prime
18 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

The Joker of Wall Street!

Ehh... Not sure I’m feeling it with this one.

Yea that's kind of where I'm at with it as well.

I'm getting the whole 'he's beaten up, depressed and driven insane by others' vibe and it seems to have a similar pretentious vibe that I got off of what I did watch of Suicide Squad.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea that's kind of where I'm at with it as well.

I'm getting the whole 'he's beaten up, depressed and driven insane by others' vibe and it seems to have a similar pretentious vibe that I got off of what I did watch of Suicide Squad.

Still better looking than Jared Leto Joker by a long shot, but the thing is, someone like the Joker has never needed an origin story, showing what makes them tick. Part of what made him interesting to people was the mystery.

Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad have been the only real DC flops for me so far, so I hope this Joker film ends up being good, though I don't have much interest in it on first impression. Definitely excited to see Shazam soon though, and what they have coming next down the road looks interesting too (Wonder Woman 2, etc), but things like this Joker film, they're just testing the waters and seeing what sticks... At this point I doubt we'll ever see a live action Joker that's enjoyably portrayed well on the level of Nicholson and Ledger's, and trying to make him more relatable like with the current one isn't a strong selling point for me.

Edited by Ridley Prime
14 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Still better looking than Jared Leto Joker by a long shot, but the thing is, someone like the Joker has never needed an origin story, showing what makes them tick. Part of what made him interesting to people was the mystery.

Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad have been the only real DC flops for me so far, so I hope this Joker film ends up being good, though I don't have much interest in it on first impression. Definitely excited to see Shazam soon though, and what they have coming next down the road looks interesting too (Wonder Woman 2, etc), but things like this Joker film, they're just testing the waters and seeing what sticks... At this point I doubt we'll ever see a live action Joker that's enjoyably portrayed well on the level of Nicholson and Ledger's, and trying to make him more relatable like with the current one isn't a strong selling point for me.

Fair point on both. There's no need for it.

Agreed on that (in terms of Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers).

Edited by Doc Brown
On 4/5/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Got back from Shazam... Pretty good, though not sure where I rank it among the other DC films yet, but it was fun. Makes me look forward to Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam more now. That'll be something.

Saw Shazam Friday night myself.  I am mystified as to how they can get Wonder Woman right.  Aquaman right, and arguably the hardest one to pull off IMO.  And Shazam right but still somehow struggled so much with Justice League/ BvSDoJ, MoS, and arguably Suicide Squad.  IMO Shazam is the DC equivalent to Thor Ragnarok -- the humor, the action, and the reveals.

I liked how they did the humor.  I liked how they set up the hero and the villain.  The two major reveals near/at the end really surprised me.

I think I need to stay off the internet for Endgame....  people keep tossing out rumor videos about how with the FOX deal going through and some ComicCon (or whatever) stuff being shown that somehow we might get cameos of some XMen in it....

The live action Lion King looks amazing! I really like how it's pretty much short for shot of the animated film.

That new Addams Family...Well...Ehhhh.... I don't really care for the art style or the look of the characters. I feel this could have worked better if it was stop motion like The nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride. Nothing will replace the 90's Addams Family movies.

Man, Detective Pikachu is going to be a shit-ton of fun!  Ϟ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)  BTW, is it just me or is Psyduck's voice way too high pitched? I was expecting more of THIS.

Edited by alienboyva