General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Re: Spider-Man

I've always found that you need to treat Parker and Spidey as two different people, especially during his High School years, and to an extent his early College years. At these points, Parker is kind of an introvert, nerdy, a little socially awkward. Like a lot of people at sci-fi conventions, you put a mask on him and he can overcome some of this, come out of his shell more, let his guard down. So when he's Spider-Man, he's more confident, borderline cocky, and takes his crime fighting lightheartedly. And I don't think they ever hit that balance right until they cast Holland.

MacGuire played a decent Peter Parker. Shy, nerdy, kind of self-reserved.

Garfield played a great Spider-Man. Wise-cracking, confident when in the suit.

Holland balances both the best, awkward and nerdy as Parker, but funny and less serious when Spider-Man.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

I've always found that you need to treat Parker and Spidey as two different people, especially during his High School years, and to an extent his early College years. At these points, Parker is kind of an introvert, nerdy, a little socially awkward. Like a lot of people at sci-fi conventions, you put a mask on him and he can overcome some of this, come out of his shell more, let his guard down. So when he's Spider-Man, he's more confident, borderline cocky, and takes his crime fighting lightheartedly. And I don't think they ever hit that balance right until they cast Holland.

Holland balances both the best, awkward and nerdy as Parker, but funny and less serious when Spider-Man.

Good point. I disagree with you on that, actor wise. Found him to be annoying all around. In the suit and out of it.

Liked both Garfield and MacGuire to be better as the character. Only time the latter got annoying per say was in Spider Man 3 when the black oil stuff (Venom) affected him.

Didn't see the shy, nerdy, self-reserved thing... just saw the in your face, look at these cool gadgets side, and it made me turn the channel.

Edited by Doc Brown

Thank God this is an obscure direct to DVD thing and not a theatrical release, because it almost makes the Doom movie from 2005 look like a masterpiece. Embracing the demons from hell aspect unlike the original film is nice, but when it looks like something off the sci-fi channel apart from the name logo, you know what you’re in for...

11 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I echo your statements.

That said, of the 3 runs, I think Tobey had the most too heart villain considering his relationship with Harry Osbourne.  Also, Doc Oc from Spidey 2 also hit with his intellectual side.

Pretty indifferent on Captain Marvel as a character myself, though I guess part of me is still annoyed that DC's Shazam had to have his name changed from Captain Marvel because of the legal mumbo jumbo even though his character came first, but I suppose he had an interesting legal history regardless between like him and Superman...

Still interesting though how he's getting his movie just a month after CM is getting hers, like the timing was intentional on DC's part. The name Carol Danvers was also partly taken from Supergirl's human alias name Kara Danvers. :v

Oh, still funny how much the Skrulls in the movie remind me of Dragon Ball Evolution’s King Piccolo. Resemblance is kinda uncanny.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I'm not sure what to think about that Avengers trailer, as I feel I'm totally missing something. Didn't all the Avengers that were in the last movie die? Yet in this trailer, they show that some have already been revived and have to save the others with the Avengers that weren't in the last movie. Of course, we all know they aren't dead for good, but it just seems kind of spoilery to show who are the first ones to be revived in the trailer. Yeah, I'm obviously missing something here. :v 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was released a few days ago...

I gotta say this looks way better than I was expecting after seeing the teaser trailers. I really like the look. Though, I'm still not 100% feeling Will Smith as the Genie. He could end up being way better than I expected. When you really think a bout it, it seems like he would be a good fit. I think the main reason I'm not fully on board is, because no one can replace Robin Williams (If only he could have been in this. T_T). Aladdin looks great! Jasmine looks great! ...But Jafar? WHAT?! I feel they totally missed the make with casting him (looking at the comments, it seems I'm not the only one). The main issues I have with him is 1. I'm pretty sure Jafar isn't supposed to  the same age as Aladdin and Jasmine. 2. This actor comes off as like the least threatening person for a villain. I feel they should have at least found an actor who's much older and has a deeper voice.

zbS1c9G.png

Ehhhh.... Maybe he'll end up being better, but I doubt it.

Other that that, everything else seems pretty good so far. 

6 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

The OG Avengers team didn’t die from the snap, just pretty much everyone else. 

Still not really sold on that Aladdin. Hopefully The Lion King still looks better by the end.

Ok. I haven't seen Infinity War since it came out in theaters last year, so my memory is a bit rusty. :P 

Yeah it does. In the teaser there are some scenes that are pretty much shot-for-sort of the animated movie. :)  I have very high hopes for this and really hope they go all out, because The Lion King is Disney's best animated film, IMO. The music, animation, story, etc...It's all outstanding!

I not really a fan of all there's live action remakes. Supposedly, they are working on a Mulan live-acton movie, which out of all the Disney animated films, I feel this would work the best as a live-action movie, if done right. Just get the guys who worked on the Pirates of the Caribbean on board and we'd be good.  Also, I feel like Tarzan could also work very well if they get everyone who worked on the live-action The Jungle Book involved. That movie is actually pretty good, and the CG is fantastic. If they do end up making a Tarzan, they gotta get Phil Collins back to do the music. Tarzan is the only other Disney animated film, that I feel comes close to matching that Lion King feel (production wise), with it's music, animation, story, etc. So, since they are doing a live-action Lion King, I feel they gotta do a live-action Tarzan.

Finally saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Thought that everyone did a good job acting wise and liked a lot of it. But I can see where some of the pacing and editing seemed strange. And I'm no fan of how some parts panned out.

Spoiler

The moving back and forth between the present at Hogwarts with Dumbledore and the Ministry and then the past with Leta and co., being still in school, was a bit confusing at first.

No fan with how Queenie was treated in this movie. Big thumbs down from me here.

I give this movie a 7/10 overall for the good I did see in it.

I liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy better than 2 personally, tho not sure yet where I lean on a MCU top 5.

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's a bummer. Glad that they're leaving Deadpool alone.

It’s gonna be quite a transition moving on from Hugh Jackman Wolverine and the like whom people grew up with while making due with whoever they cast for X-Men in the MCU, to say the least... It’ll be worth it though in the event of getting more consistent proper X-Men films. Fox was really hit and miss on that, and Fantastic 4 will be happy to get its first good film at all.

1 minute ago, Ridley Prime said:

I liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy better than 2 personally, tho not sure yet where I lean on a MCU top 5.

It’s gonna be quite a transition moving on from Hugh Jackman Wolverine and the like whom people grew up with while making due with whoever they cast for X-Men in the MCU, to say the least... It’ll be worth it though in the event of getting more consistent proper X-Men films. Fox was really hit and miss on that, and Fantastic 4 will be happy to get its first good film at all.

Definitely. I hope they're able to find someone good. Yea, but even the not so good ones were better than some other films out there.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ridley Prime said:

This... sounds about what I expected, attached as I became to some of the previous X-Men casting.

DP has earned its hype train.

Why is it always the 3rd Xmen movie that messes that series up?  X3?  Apocalypse?  They start strong then f* it up.

F4, honestly, I did like the first two movies.  Silver Surfer more so than the first one.  I never saw that reboot,  because, the eye test told me that was hot garbage.

I wonder if I trust Disney to interconnect the "Avengers" side of things and the "X Men" side of things.

Watched Motley Crue: The Dirt.
* liked it but you could tell it kind of lacked the budget a movie about them should have but from the interview accounts, all the major players wanted to sanitize it and they stuck to their guns and made it as real as possible.  I kind of liked the way the touched each's personal history up to the point of the band being formed, then kind of each's own self destructive path and key points in their life, that factored into their redemption and their official end a few years ago.