General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

22 hours ago, XLW said:

Hide contents

Maybe the reason why you don't find it fresh is because you've grown up... Like, even the movie acknowledges that.

I wouldn't say that. Even though it's been 5 years since the first one came out, I was an adult then and I'm an adult now. I think the first one got more creative Lego models in my opinion. 

To me, some sequels are just adequate compared to the originals because the originals did something the sequels can't capture. Like... The Incredibles and its sequel, or Monsters Inc. and its prequel. The originals made such very high standards, that it's really hard, but not impossible, for the sequel to do the same. But, some sequels like Shrek 2 and Evil Dead 2 can be better for whatever reason, like making a wimp into a crazy lunatic, or having a better story. And don't even get my started with Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and how it turns a once murderous T-1000 into a much more cooperative, if not sympathetic hero, and a woman who only did a few things in the original into a stone cold warrior. Pulling off the same magic twice is nearly unthinkable, so of course they might have to play it more safe, much to the dismay of those who liked the originals. And don't even get me started on the live-action Disney stuff and their sequels. Mary Poppins Returns cannot have the same magic as the original Mary Poppins, because the original was one of the freshest musical movies of all time. And Grease 2. I would choose Wreck-It Ralph over its sequel because Ralph himself had a much more fluid character change from a villain to a hero and Penelope's character arc finished pretty well in the first movie. There's not as much of a struggle in the second compared to the first, because the objective in the sequel is actually a chore for the heroes to overcome. And, although it's sort of a twist on the message, the way the "villain" is defeated has been seen before.   

Wreck It-Ralph 2 stuff 

And the villain was accidentally made in the sequel, and only shows up within the last third of the movie, whereas Candy King had much more screen time and had a really good justification for what he did, even though he went about it the wrong way.

8 hours ago, XLW said:

To me, some sequels are just adequate compared to the originals because the originals did something the sequels can't capture. Like... The Incredibles and its sequel, or Monsters Inc. and its prequel. The originals made such very high standards, that it's really hard, but not impossible, for the sequel to do the same. But, some sequels like Shrek 2 and Evil Dead 2 can be better for whatever reason, like making a wimp into a crazy lunatic, or having a better story. And don't even get my started with Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and how it turns a once murderous T-1000 into a much more cooperative, if not sympathetic hero, and a woman who only did a few things in the original into a stone cold warrior. Pulling off the same magic twice is nearly unthinkable, so of course they might have to play it more safe, much to the dismay of those who liked the originals. And don't even get me started on the live-action Disney stuff and their sequels. Mary Poppins Returns cannot have the same magic as the original Mary Poppins, because the original was one of the freshest musical movies of all time. And Grease 2. I would choose Wreck-It Ralph over its sequel because Ralph himself had a much more fluid character change from a villain to a hero and Penelope's character arc finished pretty well in the first movie. There's not as much of a struggle in the second compared to the first, because the objective in the sequel is actually a chore for the heroes to overcome. And, although it's sort of a twist on the message, the way the "villain" is defeated has been seen before.   

Wreck It-Ralph 2 stuff 

Reveal hidden contents

And the villain was accidentally made in the sequel, and only shows up within the last third of the movie, whereas Candy King had much more screen time and had a really good justification for what he did, even though he went about it the wrong way.

Agreed.

Waiting on my friend to see if we can see Captain Marvel tonight. Plenty of show times to.

Tried to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. Only got around 20 minutes into it... and couldn't stand it. Didn't mind the other actors, but Peter Parker got on my nerves. Didn't mind the 20th century one, but this new guy is just way too hyper.  tongue;  I know he's a teenager and all that, but he was just TOO much. Too in my face.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Tried to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. Only got around 20 minutes into it... and couldn't stand it. Didn't mind the other actors, but Peter Parker got on my nerves. Didn't mind the 20th century one, but this new guy is just way too hyper.  tongue;  I know he's a teenager and all that, but he was just TOO much. Too in my face.

Unpopular opinion, but I tend to have similar feelings about “Spider-Boy”, even though I don’t hate him, but I’ll watch the older more mature takes on Parker any day. Even if the earlier Spider-Man films are dated, 2 holds a special place for people.

But I get it, they feel they had to do something different with rebooting him a 2nd time.

Spoilers for both Homecoming and Original 2. 

I liked when Parker lifted up the rubble on top of him more than the Jesus symbolism thing where he stopped a train. And after the train thing, the people lifted him across the buss like he was. Spiderman is a superhero with flaws, not a miracle worker. In Homecoming, he has to come to grips of what makes him strong. Plus, the new Spiderman hasn't gone through any emotional phase like Spiderman in 3. 

Eh, compared to what the current live action Superman tends to get with Jesus symbolism (completely missing the point of the character), the bit with the train in Spider-Man 2 was tame I felt, though could've done without it still.

We do not speak of Spider-Man 3. Far as what came after though, the first Amazing Spider-Man I thought was okay. Not great, but okay, but then Amazing 2 happened and Spidey went to shit again. Homecoming I still like for what it is, but can understand those who didn't feel it was ideal.

9 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Unpopular opinion, but I tend to have similar feelings about “Spider-Boy”, even though I don’t hate him, but I’ll watch the older more mature takes on Parker any day. Even if the earlier Spider-Man films are dated, 2 holds a special place for people.

But I get it, they feel they had to do something different with rebooting him a 2nd time.

Definitely. That's where I'm at as well.

I understand that as well. So I guess it's more of a kids these days are too connected to their phones and what not kind of an issue. Yes Peter took pictures with his camera, but it wasn't quite as self interested.

8 hours ago, XLW said:

Spoilers for both Homecoming and Original 2. 

Hide contents

I liked when Parker lifted up the rubble on top of him more than the Jesus symbolism thing where he stopped a train. And after the train thing, the people lifted him across the buss like he was. Spiderman is a superhero with flaws, not a miracle worker. In Homecoming, he has to come to grips of what makes him strong. Plus, the new Spiderman hasn't gone through any emotional phase like Spiderman in 3. 

Fair enough. I just couldn't get through the annoying teenage bullcrap to get to what you mentioned above in the movie.

Captain Marvel was a lot of fun. I wouldn't put it in the top tier of MCU movies but to be fair there's a lot of stiff competition up there.

Very minor spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

Someone else I talked to about the movie made an interesting point that the movie presents Carol as a classic movie hero regardless of her gender. She isn't presented in a softer or sexier way like many female heroes would be—she's a bad ass fighter/pilot on a mission that cracks jokes, and the character would've felt right at home as the (male) lead in a 90s action movie (fitting given the time setting of this film). Larson's performance really suited this perspective of the character.

37 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Captain Marvel was a lot of fun. I wouldn't put it in the top tier of MCU movies but to be fair there's a lot of stiff competition up there.

Very minor spoilery thoughts:

Hide contents

Someone else I talked to about the movie made an interesting point that the movie presents Carol as a classic movie hero regardless of her gender. She isn't presented in a softer or sexier way like many female heroes would be—she's a bad ass fighter/pilot on a mission that cracks jokes, and the character would've felt right at home as the (male) lead in a 90s action movie (fitting given the time setting of this film). Larson's performance really suited this perspective of the character.

Spoiler

I love that people are saying the reason the cat was CGI was because Brie Larson is allergic to cats :P

Kind of huge spoiler moment ^

Edited by Kirbymeister2

Captain Marvel was pretty solid as a movie.  Not sure why it got some of its hate as I felt any feminine plays felt right inline with what would happen in said situations.  I did think her whole origin story was kind of convoluted though.  I did like all the reference and humor drops they did.

Spiderman Homecoming was bad?

News to me.  As far as his cinema offerings go, Homecoming and Spiderman 2 had the best villains.  FWIW, they have redone Spiderman a lot and he has a high school scenario and a college scenario as part of his canon so...

As far The Amazings go...  first one was decent and I liked how Peter Parker/Spiderman got played but by the end it felt like Sony put their hands in the cookie jar and tried to screw with it to make sequels.  The 2nd one felt like they did half a movie.

22 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Captain Marvel was pretty solid as a movie.  Not sure why it got some of its hate as I felt any feminine plays felt right inline with what would happen in said situations.  I did think her whole origin story was kind of convoluted though.  I did like all the reference and humor drops they did.

Spiderman Homecoming was bad?

News to me.  As far as his cinema offerings go, Homecoming and Spiderman 2 had the best villains.  FWIW, they have redone Spiderman a lot and he has a high school scenario and a college scenario as part of his canon so...

As far The Amazings go...  first one was decent and I liked how Peter Parker/Spiderman got played but by the end it felt like Sony put their hands in the cookie jar and tried to screw with it to make sequels.  The 2nd one felt like they did half a movie.

Yea, I couldn't make it far enough into it to actually like it. I know, but at least those times felt like him as a character. This one didn't to me some how. :v

On a different note, really liked Yugioh: The Dark Side of Dimensions. Almost teared up at points. Everyone did a good job voice wise and the story, apart from any flaws, was good. Was surprised at how much I still cared for the characters after all these years. Grew up with the English/US version, and the cast didn't disappoint.

Edited by Doc Brown

Saw Captain Marvel with Krazy on Friday night and overall I thought it was a good movie.  Probably my biggest criticism is that there were parts in the first half that felt a bit slow but everything else around that was enjoyable.  I also wished Clark Gregg had more appearances throughout. If there is one thing I really enjoyed throughout is how playful much of the main cast seemed to be which made it a fun ride.  A nice little palate cleanser before diving into a "post-snap" world with Endgame next month.

I saw Captain Marvel Saturday night with most of my family and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Overall, I'm around a D+ between my initial impressions and my thoughts on the movie since. This was the worst movie I've seen since The Last Jedi, but Captain Marvel is definitely a bar or so above that movie. The action in the movie was some of the weakest in the MCU, if not the weakest, so it wasn't able to distract me from its issues as much as Infinity War did and Marvel and Brie Larson had me entering this movie more attentive than I usually would've been. The movie had its moments that kept me entertained in a good way, mainly the CGI spectacle towards the end of the movie. Not the movie I was hoping for going into End Game and there's at least one scene in End Game already that I would throw out. It's a shame that they didn't want to use what had already been established within the MCU and would rather throw wrenches at it, because this movie had a lot of missed potential that it could've hit if it wasn't as focused on an agenda as it was.