General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

17 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Starfire’s one of the glaring problems, but pretty much everyone they did wrong in some way. She got the worst of it though. Starfire normally shoots green lasers, and isn’t a firebender. lmao 

I don't mind the others too much. I like that they're playing up Dick's daddy-issues and showing it fucked him up. Garfield, I really wish his skin was green, and he's not as jokey (yet at least) as I feel he should be, even for a "darker" Titans. Raven just can't act, but it's getting better. And was just introduced to a newer character, which I love how cocky he is, but think his cop-hatred is a little much.

Saw it earlier as well. Broly fans wouldn't really admit it until he got rebooted but his old/original story was trash. This new take actually made him into something of a likable character. Glad that Frieza was still Frieza as well, and guess I'm not as livid about the old Bardock's retcon as I was before; at least he wasn't robbed of his final stand against Frieza, even if it was less impactful... Still feel Gogeta was unnecessary fanservice though and would've rather had ultra instinct in the climax or something, but still pretty fun overall.

The Broly movie was pretty good.  Krazy and I saw it earlier today.  The turnout in the theater was higher than when we saw Resurrection F back when it came out and people were into it a whole lot more.  The audience even clapped after it ended which is something I've only ever witnessed with superhero movies.  Even though Dragonball has always been fairly popular it has been pretty neat to see the series reinvigorated thanks to Super and everything that came with it.

Finished up The Punisher S2.

No spoilers other than the obvious set ups by the trailers...

As good as S1 but better and worse at somethings throughout the story so it kind of evens out.

The conflict between Russo and Castle goes A LOT DEEPER and gets a lot deeper.

The inter-connectivity amongst Castle, Russo, Mudani,  police chief guy--name escaping me now, and Page gets even more entangled.

The psychobabble about intents, feelings, purposes, and all of that based on the new character introduced is intriguing and thus making a new character intriguing.

The Pilgrim as I guess is his official name seemed very interesting but IMO under explained in terms of origin.

"The girl that needed saving" felt under and over done in some parts/points.

The two grande thematic arcs of the story which are basically Russo's coming back from hell with his personal health issues both physically and mentally and initial sequence of events that drag Castle back into "the life" are very intriguing to see play out.

Kurt as the sounding board for a lot of the characters got a lot more development and a lot more being in it--which I thought was a solid move-- really stood out to me as the best buddy confidant that managed to get out in time but understands what those who are still in it are going through,.

I''ll revisit my Marvel Net Flix rankings after JJ S3 arrives to fully asses my thoughts but I do think they are cancelling these shows they started with too early and I still can only think there is something political and money wise going on between NetFlix, Marvel, Fox, and Disney.

Rankings:

DDS1

JJS1

DDS3

TD

DDS2

LC S1

TP S1

JJ S2

LC S2

TP S2

IF S2

IF S1

While yes, I would put the IFs at the bottom right now, only really S1 was truly weak and they made huge improvement strides in S2.  I think the whole middle of my listing is easily switchable as the pluses and the minuses of each season kind of balance out to being even overall with seasons from other shows.

Now that I finished, I guess I will say the Pilgrim more or less stole the show here. Billy Russo remained one of my favorite characters in the show too but the way it ended kinda killed the mood for me; nevermind how they didn’t go all the way with Jigsaw. For someone whose face was smeared through broken glass he came out looking pretty good and it felt like they stopped halfway with the Jigsaw transformation and him having a real cut up face, y’know?

I’m fine with the memory broken, sympathizeable Russo we got here, but when thinking about what could’ve been with Jigsaw I just felt a bit disappointed I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

November it is...

Still kinda tired of the "I must hate this because it's popular" syndrome I tend to see with Frozen anywhere I go, and while I wouldn't call the first one a masterpiece or anything, it's easy to see why it succeeded, liked it for what it was, and the trailer for 2 interests me enough to give an eventual watch Q4 of this year.

No, Jessica Jones season 3 is still coming out, it's just going to be the last one. It even says so in that article.

With Punisher season 2, it feels likely that they knew it was the last one so they kind of rushed the two major plotlines and crammed them into one season, since they were so oddly unrelated to one another. Not an ideal situation but at least they did something to conclude the Jigsaw storyline, I guess.