General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

Alright, yeah, Aquaman is great. Another hit success. Suppose I should've realized before now that they kinda made him the Thor of their universe in terms of characterization, but it fits, and much like Asgard (before it was destroyed), Atlantis has much beautiful CG scenery.

I'm with you on that Thor comparison.  Atlantis and Asgard..... Lots of surface drama between brothers and parents and lots of politics between parties lurking in the background.

I would do my best... but some of the stuff are spoilers. 

Pros: 

Really interesting animation, as the guys from Dreamworks probably helped there. The attention to detail is something unique. 

Steve Carell plays his part tremendously as a person who gets beat up for an interesting comment he made while he was drunk. 

Cons: 

The reason why Carell's character got beat up is kind of... a political thing. 

In fact, Carell's character might come off as... kind of odd.

Some characters I feel that have a big part of the story don't have... a resolution. Or are just in a few scenes never to be seen by the ending. 

Before I saw it, I saw some of the reviews and scores on it... Which didn't make it look good. I work in a movie theater that shows it... and Marwen is the least POPULOUS in terms of crowds. Not exaggerating, but I think only ten people came to see it when I worked today. 

Not really a pro or a con, but Carell's character also bases his dolls on real people. You might think it's charming and cute... but there's this strange blend of trying to mix his reality with what happens with the dolls, and one of his problems revolves around trying to find love. He comes off as socially awkward. 

He says he has a lot of women's shoes. He got beat up saying he might try one pair on because he likes "the essence of women".
Although I love Carell's performance, the part he plays is really... complicated. 

Since it's getting very close to the end of this year, here are my Top 10 Movies of 2018. It's all subjective, and I wish I could've seen a few more movies. 

1) Black Panther. 

2) A Star Is Born.

3) Deadpool 2.

4) Green Book.

5) Isle of Dogs.

6) INFINITY WAR. 

7) Incredibles 2.

8) Bohemian Rhapsody.

9) Christoper Robin.

10) Ready Player 1.

38 minutes ago, XLW said:

Since it's getting very close to the end of this year, here are my Top 10 Movies of 2018. It's all subjective, and I wish I could've seen a few more movies. 

I saw:

Insidious: The Last Key

Fifty Shades Freed

Black Panther

Tomb Raider

Ready Player One (BR)

Chappaquiddick

A Quiet Place

Avengers Infinity War

Deadpool 2

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Incredibles 2

Tag

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Ant Man and the Wasp

Mission Impossible Fallout

Christopher Robbin

The MEG

The Predator

Venom

Halloween

Bohemian Rhapsody

The Girl in the Spider's Web

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald

Creed 2

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Aquaman

BumbleBee

*need to see Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Standouts to me:

Aquaman

Black Panther

Avengers Infinity War

Creed 2

Mission Impossible Fallout

Bohemian Rhapsody

Honorable Mention:

Ant Man and the Wasp

Tag ( for actually being enjoyable... I was invited to watch this one and I was skeptical of it )

Halloween

Surprised were good:

The MEG

--fun for what it was.

Venom

--I actually kind of got into it.  I think Hardy had the right personality for pulling this character off.

Insidious

--first one I have ever seen and was invited to check out.  Interesting story

A Quiet Place

--a solid concept delivered well

Ehhh  category....   translated to ehh / could have been but wasn't / not overly strong feelings one way or another

Fifty Shades Freed

--I didn't like how this trilogy ended.

Tomb Raider

--decent reboot, but needed the thing to make it great, if they find it in #2, they might be on to something

Ready Player One

--caught on BR.  I actually did like it, but some of the pacing of the story telling kind of made it seem like a rush to the end.

Deadpool 2

--I found it good for what it was but it was like I was watching the first one again with almost the same jokes.  I did think it was stronger in some areas than the first one though and I did find the plot more interesting than the first one.

Solo

-Not as bad as people said, but I knew this movie would be a hard sell considering the TLJ hate and no Harrison Ford.  It covered some really nice plot points in the Han Solo story line as brought to us from the original trilogy though.

Incredibles 2

-- while it did look better, it was basically a remix of the fist movie instead of really going out there for a fresh new story angle.  It took too long for them to get to the 2nd movie and it showed IMO.

Jurassic World 2

-- Arguably better than the first but I still think these pale to the original trilogy even if think those had their own issues.

Christopher Robbin

--IMO, it nailed the Pooh characters so well but the story was so emotionally draining that it was just sad....  I would have never thought a Winnie the Pooh movie would have me feeling sad after watching it.

The Predator

--nice reboot so to speak.  IMO, this whole series of movies has suffered from having to follow the original and how iconic it was.  They keep trying to chase past glory instead of moving forward in a interesting way.

The Girl in the Spider's Web

--I loved the original Dutch trilogy directors cut and I also loved the recent remake of the first movie.  This one had a lot of what I liked from all of that but I think there were some plot/story issues keeping me from being totally engrossed by it like I was the earlier works.

Fantastic Beasts 2

--A much better movie than the first one BUT it opened up more questions than answers and until I get the answers I can't fully like it.

Ralph Breaks the Internet

--I was invested in its plot, but the resolution of the movie left me thinking that they didn't fully finish it.

BumbleBee

--lots of G1 love.  It cut a lot of the unneeded filler that plagued the Michael Bay movies and thus made a better, more streamlined movie experience.  What I didn't like was the actual plotline of the movie--I think it could have been better but they have some good building blocks to take forward into another movie.

Will keep that film in mind.

So, just rewatched District 9 for the first time in years since they put it back on Netflix, and afterward I looked up the status of a sequel just to answer my curiosity, and turns one was finally confirmed by the creator/director last year which is currently in the works I guess. Word. D9 was a fresh underrated alien sci-fi flick, so am looking forward to what they do with a followup.

If anything the comparison just made me kinda wonder how Jason Momoa and Chris Hemsworth would have worked together, because like for the earlier casting for Marvel, Momoa was almost going to be Drax for Guardians of the Galaxy, before Dave Bautista ended up having the role for that character, but I'm glad it worked out that way, because Momoa is a well established and badass Aquaman now, and well, Marvel can't have everyone...

On 11/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, purple_beard said:

Ralph Breaks the Internet / theater

--The short short of it is, yes, its its better than the first one to me.

--Yes it hit some comedic gold...and troll gold.... and sarcasm/self aware gold

BUT:

Reveal hidden contents

I did not like a few things: why didn't they finish out the macguffin of the steering wheel, in terms of showing it getting installed and the game running?  If she didn't return to her game, what happened with her game?  If she stayed in Slaughter Race then what happens with that game?  I personally think these what ifs are the key to me enjoying it even more.

Finally got around to see Ralph Breaks the Internet.  Glad I did because I assume the is one of the last weeks to catch it.

I agree with what you said though. 

Spoiler

I really didn't buy how they let Vanellope stay in the new game with no controversies when, if I remember correctly, the first one they made it a big deal how she had to stay in her game or how characters had to stay in their own games or else. Yeah what's her name in the new game rewrote the code for Vanellope to stay, but how are people from the outside world going to react when they see her in that GTA style game or see her missing from her own game? There were good themes to come out of this though, with friendship and doing what you wanna do, but I just think in terms of consistency in the WiR universe they could have done a cleaner job. 

I think what I said in the spoiler, along with no main baddie is what has me putting the first ahead of the second one. Don't get me wrong, the princesses were great, the online references were great along with the Disney cameos, but as a gamer, I did want to see more of gaming.  

Spoiler

Sonic was cool and cool we got to see him speak, but it makes me wonder what arcade game is in the arcade that features him and Eggman to appear. Maybe Sonic The Fighters. We didn't see Bowser this time either. Hope if they make a third one, they bring it back to its roots and focus on trying to save the arcade from closing or something. But I read that Reilly would like to see them go into space. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/depp-less-pirates-saves-disney-90m/

Next PotC movie might go Depp less to improve financial returns....

Interesting....

IMO, Depp's character was the main attraction of the franchise.  The forced love triangle kind of wore thin towards the end of 3.  4 was pretty legit.  5... while not bad.... one could see that Depp was kind of losing the thing that made Sparrow great....