General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

On 11/27/2018 at 2:03 PM, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

I honestly don't understand these live-action remakes of Disney movies. Like, the story was already told perfectly before, and it's not like kids don't have access to the originals. I mean, fuck, Disney already heavily promotes the Blu-Rays of the OG versions, so why bother wasting resources on a redundant product? 

Money. That's the jist of it. People will eat of nostalgia like no tomorrow.

If referring to the Disney live action/CGI remakes, this is my prerogative tbh, at least as one whose excited for the Lion King.

Even if some of those Marvel shows get reclaimed on Disney's service, still hate Netflix getting crippled like this and losing the convenience we already had of watching said shows, but I guess it was bound to happen when streaming service competition became more rampant. Between that, the DC streaming service (in the case of like Young Justice, etc), and other things that'll come out of the woodwork, I don't think I'm gonna be on for the ride with every little subscription thing that comes along. Only so many services I can be bothered to be subscribed to at a time.

Damn if they're willing to cancel Daredevil I guess it's just a matter of time before Jessica Jones and Punisher get the axe too. That sucks, I really enjoyed those shows (well, some more than others) and even if they revive them on Disney's own streaming service or whatever I really don't think I'm going to buy in to yet another streaming service.

Agreed. Not only that, but they'll PG-13 those shows up if brought back, as opposed to the R kind of rating they had on Netflix. I think Punisher and JJ will still have their 2nd seasons next year though at least, since they were already deep into production before all this cancellation stuff came to a head, but after that they'll be done too no doubt.

Oh, a Blue Beetle movie (live action) is happening apparently. Glad to see DC is still pushing forward.

Edited by Ridley Prime
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/12/daredevil-defenders-revivals-not-coming-soon-marvel-netflix/

It was gonna be renewed on Disney's service they said! If those characters are ever given shows again, am convinced now it'll be in a completely different capacity, if there was still any doubt before.

Who said?  Those NF/Marvel contracts were already written.  And that Disney angle can't be minimized.  They would like those shows on their platform in some way and with their deal with their own streaming service they aren't going to let NetFlix have any more fun with the properties.

And that’s kind of the problem for fans of some of those shows. Disney will keep it all PG-13 and sanitized, and if they have to wait years before those properties can even be renewed on their service as the link/news suggests, it pretty much confirms to me the shows in their current form are officially dead. If we get a completely recast and toned down Daredevil etc, count me out. It was perfect as it was.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Saw the Grinch a few weeks back. It enjoyed the animation and cast but didn't really add anything new to the story besides Fred.

Saw Creed II tonight. It was a pretty predictable movie. Felt more of a sequel to Rocky IV and Balboa more than a sequel to Creed but that isn't a bad thing. But I thought it was overall a great movie. The ending gave me a nice smile and a few tears. If they are to make Creed III, I do hope they go in the direction of giving Donny more of the spotlight and not living under Rocky's shadows. If there is anything that the first two Creed movies have lacked, is a memorable nemesis. If it wasn't for the Drago name and history, I wouldn't have been invested in the characters as much. Hopefully they find an unique actor and hopefully it isn't a Clubber Lang Jr.

Aquaman / theater
--IMO, this is the DC equivalent to Marvel's Black Panther movie.  Origin story involving prodigal son candidates and also delving into the politics involved in the characters' living space.  This and Wonder Woman nailed it as far as recent DC movies go, I wonder if they can get back to getting Batman, Superman, and Justice League as on track as these last two offerings.  I gotta say that Momoa was right when he promised Star Wars like action under water.  I thought the plot was pretty good and I liked the acting and the action scenes.  They also did a really good job of doing the underwater scenes as truly underwater like the real Atlantians would be doing and it didn't feel as off as say the equivalent scenes out of Star Wars Episode 1.  Overall, a really solid action thriller super hero movie that did a good job of giving origin story, giving the politics of the character's immediate circle, and delivering a solid plot.