General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Jurassic World 2 was as good as their prior one, I liked the darker tone.  Its probably my next favorite after the first one.  That said I did like Lost World till they left the Island and YES, JPIII was a cash in for seeing dinosaurs a 3rd time.  JW was ok but didn't 100% sell me--heck I waited till a Black Friday @ $6 sale to get the BR for it LOL.

Just finished up LC S2.

Overall, I think the pluses and the minuses evened out.

In non-spoiler talk here are some of my thoughts:

In S1 Shades and Cottonmouth really stood out to me with Mariah in that kind of weird #2 spot but man in S2 did she go to another level.  That said, the tale of Shades, left wanting more because of how strong he was in S1.

Bushmaster was a nice idea on a villain and I really liked the back story tie in to him coming into play however I couldn't shake the fact that he reminded me of Screwface from Steve Seagal's epic masterpiece "Marked for Death."

Misty Knight had a interesting story arc.

The guest appearances from other shows felt really on point.

Claire Temple's tale was interesting and will be interesting to see how it goes from here.

The back story of the Stokes family, Bushmaster's family, and how the season long conflict came to be from where it started was interesting.

The live music at the club scenes were great and they really went around from soul, to hip hop, to reggae, to blues with some really good tunes.

The ending leading into a possible S3 I found interesting mainly because I don't know all the lore around Luke Cage.

• 2 weeks later...

Ant Man in the Wasp was a pretty fun movie. 

Spoiler

Really didn't have a main antagonist, which kind of brought it down for me. But the Ghost story line was done pretty well. I am guessing she will be around for the next Ant Man or possibly Avengers. Nice to see Lilly's mom back together with her family. The movie had funny parts, but they weren't too funny to me. Probably because I didn't have an audience to play off with reactions, as it was a near empty theater for this. But I did chuckle quite a bit. Not sure where I rank this movie with the rest. Not even sure if I rank this above the first Ant Man. Saw it only once when it first came out in theaters. I still think Paul Rudd is awesome and he did a great job again with this role.

I haven't seen any movies in theater lately but I wanted to recommend a podcast about movies: Unspooled with comedian Paul Scheer and film critic Amy Nicholson. They're watching every movie on the AFI's top 100 list of movies and discussing them, and it's pretty interesting to hear what they have to say. It's certainly made me better appreciate some of the movies they've talked about so far (the podcast is only a couple months old).

Recently saw Ant Man and The Wasp with my girlfriend and it was pretty entertaining movie.  The comedy in it was great which went over really well consider the theater we were in was pretty much packed out aside from the seats at the very front. The best part was how much they ramped up the creativity in the fight scenes especially The Wasp being in the picture now. Overall it was enjoyable but like the first Ant Man don't go into it expecting it to be one of Marvel's more bombastic entries and you'll enjoy it.  Only one of my friends seemed really down on the movie but it was kind of him elevating his own expectations considering the other Marvel films that landed earlier this year.  But my girlfriend and I enjoyed it.

And while I shouldn't have to say it, please stick around for the post credits ending/teaser.  I swear every Marvel movie I go to (other than Infinity War the first time I saw it) people got up and left before seeing the teaser.  This time, the entire left side of the row we were seated got up and left and one couple left at least ten minutes before the movie ended.  I dunno, just irks me after ten years of these films that people still don't know. XD (or maybe just don't care)

I liked Ant Man and the Wasp as well.

They really now how to play the action, the comedy, and the drama in them.  Granted it is a lot lighter fare in Ant Man versus the others.  What I didn't really like was that the billed main villain wasn't really in villain mode and the movie was mainly about Hank bringing back his wife.

Agreed though.... they have done this stuff since the first Iron Man.... some should know that by now.... unless they plan to catch it on youtube later or whatever....  I actually dtayed for the 2nd scene too... that one wasn't as worth it.

It will be interesting to see if this series can go to #3.

23 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I liked Ant Man and the Wasp as well.

They really now how to play the action, the comedy, and the drama in them.  Granted it is a lot lighter fare in Ant Man versus the others.  What I didn't really like was that the billed main villain wasn't really in villain mode and the movie was mainly about Hank bringing back his wife.

Agreed though.... they have done this stuff since the first Iron Man.... some should know that by now.... unless they plan to catch it on youtube later or whatever....  I actually dtayed for the 2nd scene too... that one wasn't as worth it.

It will be interesting to see if this series can go to #3.

There was a second scene at the end credits?

On 6/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, XLW said:

... I don't know if this is valid, but: 

Incredibles: Dad goes on secret special superhero mission, mom has to take care of children while he's gone, until act 3.

Incredibles 2: Mom goes on a mission, Dad has to take care of children while she's gone. Possibly until act 3. 

So there's shade thrown on this whole gender role thing in the sequel, while nobody ever talks about how there's a similar problem in the first. Granted, I love the first movie, and I can't wait for the sequel. If people are sour Mr. Incredible won't be as cool as he was in this film, I have every reason to be sour that Elastigirl didn't the same credit as well. Actually, in the end, it's a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO FAMILY TRYING TO LIVE NORMAL LIVES, and this "who's the breadrunner" topic might be subconscious or whatever, but it's not a glaring theme in the movie. If it wasn't for the villain's hatred for Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl could have been in his place instead, just under a different context. I'm willing to see how the next movie will work, because not every family is similar in their roles. 

Just came back from seeing it, while watching the first one last night, actually in its entirety for the first time. Always saw bits and pieces but never the full fledged thing. I enjoyed both, but I do feel like I enjoyed the first one slightly more.

I had no problem with the mom and dad reversing roles, but it made it be pretty much the same exact movie. Had someone pretending to be good but was ultimately bad. It was very predictable. This movie was more mom and Jack Jack, which we didn't get in the first. Still though, if they were to do a third movie, which I assume they will, I would like to have the family together throughout the adventure. Maybe face off against another family instead of another villain pretending to be good. Change it up.