General movie discussion

EH_STEVE

Also saw Deadpool 2 and I did like it. People say it was funnier than the first but not sure about that one. I feel like both of them are funny, with this one using a ton of movie references. The story wasn't bad and I did like all of the characters they used. Excited to see what they do with X-Force and the future of the series.

I liked DP2 marginally better than the first one.  The only thing that kind of surprised me was how the X Force got ummm worked in....  Not sure how I felt about Fire Fist(?) but Juggernaut seemed more entertaining than his prior X Men debut.  I thought Brolin did good work in being the badass I assume Cable is supposed to be.

7 hours ago, fuzz said:

Does anyone use the Moviepass subscription? If so, how do you like it?

I don't have it but the friend I went with to see Deadpool 2 last night does and she seems to like it a lot. The cost and minor inconvenience of using it (I guess she has to upload a picture of her ticket stub to verify it?) seem to be well worth the value of seeing so many movies. Hell, the monthly price is actually less than the cost of one evening show ticket around here. Also when we went last night apparently since she has Moviepass it gave me a discount on my ticket; neither of us knew that was even a thing, in fact I don't even know if it was just a limited time bonus or something but if it always works like that it's another perk.

I really don't see how Moviepass can be sustainable on its current business model though. And I don't know if that means you should just take advantage of it now while you can or if you're better off ignoring it before it radically changes or folds completely.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:35 AM, Eliwood8 said:

Deadpool 2 was a lot of fun. Felt like it was even more meta than the first movie but it's been a while since I saw that one. Almost feels like it'd be worth watching again just to catch all of the references and whatnot.

We went to see it on Saturday, absolutely loved it. Super fun movie.

15 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I don't have it but the friend I went with to see Deadpool 2 last night does and she seems to like it a lot. The cost and minor inconvenience of using it (I guess she has to upload a picture of her ticket stub to verify it?) seem to be well worth the value of seeing so many movies. Hell, the monthly price is actually less than the cost of one evening show ticket around here. Also when we went last night apparently since she has Moviepass it gave me a discount on my ticket; neither of us knew that was even a thing, in fact I don't even know if it was just a limited time bonus or something but if it always works like that it's another perk.

I really don't see how Moviepass can be sustainable on its current business model though. And I don't know if that means you should just take advantage of it now while you can or if you're better off ignoring it before it radically changes or folds completely.

It definitely seems like it'll be too good to be true in the long term, but yeah from everyone I've spoken to who likes to see movies often, apparently it's been great! It's cheaper than a ticket here for me as well, and I'll usually see a movie every month as it is, so I figure hey why not? At least over summer while I've got some more free time I figure it'll be a good time to give it a shot.

14 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Saw Solo as well and it maybe my favorite out of the Disney Star Wars movies so far. 

Whoa whoa whoa... it was good.... but Rogue One is tops out of the newest 4 they have made.  I'm reserving final judgement of TFA and TLJ upon completion of IX.  They had their pluses and they had their minuses.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:58 PM, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Legit? I'm kinda curious now. 

With Star Wars, there are opinions on such a big spectrum. No one is ever really right. But for me, it was just a fun film from start to finish. 

On 5/25/2018 at 5:09 PM, purple_beard said:

Whoa whoa whoa... it was good.... but Rogue One is tops out of the newest 4 they have made.  I'm reserving final judgement of TFA and TLJ upon completion of IX.  They had their pluses and they had their minuses.

To me, Rogue One was a good movie, but I just couldn't connect with the bland characters in it.

• 2 weeks later...

... I don't know if this is valid, but: 

Incredibles: Dad goes on secret special superhero mission, mom has to take care of children while he's gone, until act 3.

Incredibles 2: Mom goes on a mission, Dad has to take care of children while she's gone. Possibly until act 3. 

So there's shade thrown on this whole gender role thing in the sequel, while nobody ever talks about how there's a similar problem in the first. Granted, I love the first movie, and I can't wait for the sequel. If people are sour Mr. Incredible won't be as cool as he was in this film, I have every reason to be sour that Elastigirl didn't the same credit as well. Actually, in the end, it's a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO FAMILY TRYING TO LIVE NORMAL LIVES, and this "who's the breadrunner" topic might be subconscious or whatever, but it's not a glaring theme in the movie. If it wasn't for the villain's hatred for Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl could have been in his place instead, just under a different context. I'm willing to see how the next movie will work, because not every family is similar in their roles. 

I finally got around to seeing Solo, and I enjoyed it. The train heist scene in particular was well done. 

I'm not sure where I'd rank it in terms of the Disney movies. Right now, I think I prefer the side stories (this and Rogue One) to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. That might change with Episode 9. 

Saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.

Spoiler

I thought it was pretty good, but it really was the same song and dance as the rest of the series. I was hoping to be on the island longer than how long they were actually on. Was great to see Goldblum. I knew how small his role going into it was probably going to be, and was left wanting more. He was simply a cameo but would love to see an interaction between him and Owen. 

The mansion was well done, but it was so expected. Nothing really out of the ordinary with that. You knew who would survive and who wouldn't. I feel like we've seen this scene so many times now with the main characters in a room with a dinosaur, running. The indoraptor was pretty cool concept. 

Question to those who follow the series and know it very well, I've seen all of the movies, but was Lockwood mentioned in any of the previous entries? I can't remember if he was, but if he wasn't, this really felt shoehorned. Oh yes, Hammond actually had a partner in all of this. 

But the ending did leave open the potential for a lot of crazy stuff to go down in the sixth one. The dinosaurs are now around the country. Are there enough of them/two of a kind to breed? How will they impact the human population? Will everything wind up being destroyed? How do you get rid of the dinosaurs without killing them? All this time humans went to their world, but now the dinosaurs are in the human world. I think this will bring some freshness into the series. 

Pratt and Howard were great as usual, though their character's development really never went anywhere new. They care about dinosaurs and they care for each other. But now they have a child that needs a family so that can add some new dynamics. Though, Iris, the housekeeper seems to be a trustworthy person to take care of Maisie. For the third entry, I do expect Alan Grant to appear at some point, even if it is the same kind of cameo that Malcolm got in this one. 

Saw Fallen Kingdom.

Da da. Da da. Da da da da da da... *cries*

I wonder if that Hoh scientist or whatever, the guy I know from Law And Order: SVU, is still alive. Some guys drag him... somewhere. I guess he's bound to see another day. Hurrah for more dinos because he's an idiot!

Also, can we also talk about the child clone? Because the dinosaurs got nothing of "WHAT", instead for big Indo-Rap whatever, repeat boss fight from last movie. When Blue and him got out, I knew it was bound to happen. Though, that ending was dope.

I would've loved to have seen Jeff and Chris interact. Man, my dream... Maybe next movie... ???  

Last, I never expected the kid to release the dinos. Does... she not realize the complications and horrors she brought upon this world?! At least Chris gave the woman, I forgot her name, some common sense about the situation! If anything, those dinos will be caught at some point, and guess who might win hypothetically? Big bad evil guy who I forgot. He brought them there to be sold so the other guys could use them as weapons, but ultimately she let them LIVE, even though letting them die would be far more powerful of an ending. Now the dinos are out, and who knows what a horrible outcome could come from that, like genetic modding and genetic hybrids and mutations, all because of pre-historic animal rights dufuses! What kind of rights to everything B.S. is that?! Sure, the dinos live, but maybe GOODBYE HUMANS! I'm sorry, I side with Goldblum. Here's for that HISHE moments to come! ARMAGEDDON BECAUSE OF A STUPID ELEVEN YEAR OLD GIRL CLONE THING! BOTTOMS UP! *drinks water* 

There were so many "WHAT?!" moments in this movie, that I think I loved Jurassic World more than this.

Edited by XLW