Why we don't have the VC on Switch yet

I don't have a lot of interest for VC beyond GCN games.

I feel as though Nintendo dropped the ball with Wii's VC, and continued to fumble with it on Wii U.

I have ZERO confidence that they can do the correct thing with VC, and that's having a lot of games available sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

I don't have a lot of interest for VC beyond GCN games.

I feel as though Nintendo dropped the ball with Wii's VC, and continued to fumble with it on Wii U.

I have ZERO confidence that they can do the correct thing with VC, and that's having a lot of games available sooner rather than later. 

Exactly how did the VC ball get dropped with the Wii?

They released TONS of games of the SMS, Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, TG16, TG16CD, NeoGeo, and C64 .....  YES, they could have put out a lot more but they had a damn solid line up overall...  Now the WiiU's, that was as dropped ball if I ever saw one.

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Exactly how did the VC ball get dropped with the Wii?

They released TONS of games of the SMS, Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, TG16, TG16CD, NeoGeo, and C64 .....  YES, they could have put out a lot more but they had a damn solid line up overall...  Now the WiiU's, that was as dropped ball if I ever saw one.

Slow trickle. 

Just now, luigitornado said:

Slow trickle. 

I'll debate that though....

If they dropped them ALL day 1, there would be so much to choose from that the attention they'd receive would have not really propped up some titles.

That said, they did want to strategically pump up WiiWare titles..... but I agree to the end of slow trickle that they had more than enough games to drop 2 a week at worst.  I also think that the SNES and N64 catalogs didn't get the love they should have gotten even though they did put out a lot of good titles from them.

There's a few plausible reasons for this.

1. The Wii and WiiU share a similar architecture dating back to the Gamecube. With the Virtual Console established on the Wii, the WiiU VC wasn't much of an issue. Despite this, they kind of floundered with the WiiU outside of SNES and GBA emulation. The Switch features an entirely new architecture, so Virtual Console will require building from the ground up.

2. The Virtual Console, since it started, was a niche service. With the hundreds of millions of Wii's sold, maybe less than 5% of systems connected to the Wii Shop. The only instance of the Virtual Console raking in meaningful profit was with the Gameboy Pokemon games for the 3DS, and that was just last year. Nintendo doesn't see the Virtual Console as a priority.

12 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

There's a few plausible reasons for this.

1. The Wii and WiiU share a similar architecture dating back to the Gamecube. With the Virtual Console established on the Wii, the WiiU VC wasn't much of an issue. Despite this, they kind of floundered with the WiiU outside of SNES and GBA emulation. The Switch features an entirely new architecture, so Virtual Console will require building from the ground up.

2. The Virtual Console, since it started, was a niche service. With the hundreds of millions of Wii's sold, maybe less than 5% of systems connected to the Wii Shop. The only instance of the Virtual Console raking in meaningful profit was with the Gameboy Pokemon games for the 3DS, and that was just last year. Nintendo doesn't see the Virtual Console as a priority.

Not totally feeling all of #2.  The sales of the Wii weren't 100% tied to VC titles as they were the motion control titles.  But for "core" gamers the VC was a great way to get those classics and reasonable prices without having to do illegal roms.  They did kind of tout it with each week's press release of what was coming.  But, in the later years, when they dropped down the VC to 1 game a month at best... it kind of was a self fulfilling prophecy of doom.

Yeah, I'm fine with them waiting a bit longer to have the VC on the Switch. I just hope they do something similar regarding the SNES Mini so they can have more of those in stock from the start and don't do the same kind of shit with the NES Mini and then discontinuing it early which was a copout. I know everyone's sick and tired of scalpers reigning supreme either way, whether it's something like that or amiibos.