Doom series thread

Just thought I'd bring it up since Doom 2016 was a great 2nd reboot for the series... Classic Doom had its history on being on Nintendo platforms, though I've been through it all, thanks in part to the Doom 3 BFG Edition from last gen.

Safe to say, Doom's the shooter series that first revolutionized the FPS genre before we later had Goldeneye, Halo, and things that later did the same in their own way.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I have played a bit of Doom.

I played Doom 1 first, on XBLA.  I liked it.

I have not played Doom 2, although I own it on Steam (along with Doom 1) and whatever else.

I do not own Doom 3 in any form.

I started Doom reboot a while ago, and I thought it was really fun...but I've never gotten back to it.  It's on my list though.

39 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I have played a bit of Doom.

I played Doom 1 first, on XBLA.  I liked it.

I have not played Doom 2, although I own it on Steam (along with Doom 1) and whatever else.

I do not own Doom 3 in any form.

I started Doom reboot a while ago, and I thought it was really fun...but I've never gotten back to it.  It's on my list though.

If it helps, the 360 version of Doom 3 BFG Edition (which I got) is backwards compatible on the One. Good to hear though far as everything.

• 2 months later...

I played DOOM & DOOM 2 back in high school in the mid-90's when we used to get our LAN set up with...I think it was up to 8 people just depending on who could make it out and actually felt like dragging their PC's around, lol. We also did that with Quake, Warcraft 1 & 2 and several other games I believe at least for the multi-player parts since it wasn't very feasible to play over 56K connection back then and almost none of us had any other internet options at the time.

It's funny you make this thread now as I just recently finally bought DOOM (2016) like last week or maybe the week before when it was on sale at BB and with GCU came out to like $16 I think. I've heard that it's pretty good and I'm looking forward to playing it. Although with my backlog and how slowly I'm going through games right now, it might be some time before I actually get around to playing it. But either way, I'm excited to play it whenever I get to it. :) I also need to play Doom 3 BFG sometime. I got that for PS3 and I've actually never played Doom 3. I think N64 had pretty much taken over my multi-player crave during the time that Doom 3 was popular and so I just never really got around to playing it. Also it might be fun to go back and play 1 & 2 since from what I understand, they're included in BFG, although they might just feel really shitty nowadays too, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a huge Doom fan.  To the point that I upgraded my PC to it's very limit  just so I could run it on Ultra at 1080p @ 60fps.   started out on the old shitty SNES port (it was all I had back then).  I have played every Doom game and I own every one of them on Steam.  I even have Doom 64.  I can say that the Doom reboot is one of the best shooters I have ever played.  I believe the only real way to play Doom is on a PC (I mean it is a game that was built for the PC to begin with) but if you do not have a PC that can run Doom well, Switch will suffice if that is all you have or if you want to be able to just play it on the go.  I might just get it for the on the go aspect if it transitions over well.

Yes. Played Doom 1, 2, 3, and 3 RoE. So...basically the PC titles, except for the lesser known expansions and the 2016 game*. Definitely looking forward to the Switch version.

*Most likely I would have already played it on the PC. But here's the thing in my experience, I've played the multiplayer beta, and it ran it well, surprisingly well. Sure, 720p with low settings, but I can play it. Then comes the single player demo a few months later, with finalized system requirements, recognized my graphic card and refuses to boot up since it's below requirements...yeah. (GeForce 640 GT, so it's about four-five years old now.) Though I would have gotten the Switch version regardless and eventually.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:06 AM, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Oof Doom (1993) and Doom II have got to be my favorite video games of all time. Beat them shites on Ultra Violence on multiple occasions. 

Too bad my new Windows 10 laptop can't play my zdoom sourceport for shit. 

What kind of computer are you using that can't un Doom? My refrigerator can run doom. 

The only Doom I really played was Doom 64 which was great in its own right.  I think my dad played it even more than I did though and he actually preferred to play it in the dark. Back in the day, that was something I couldn't bring myself to do, haha. Especially when you started hitting maps where you could hear the "clomp-clomping" of the Cyber Demon beyond a wall somewhere but couldn't yet see it.

9 hours ago, ace said:

What kind of computer are you using that can't un Doom? My refrigerator can run doom. 

I mean, it can run it, but for some reason the framerate is all jittery and the pixilation isn't as crisp, almost like I'm playing the SNES version. This is really weird because I'm using the zdoom sourceport, meaning I shouldn't have that problem. It's like windows 10 keeps forgetting that I'm actually running the sourceport despite me clearly clicking said sourceport to play it. 

• 1 month later...

Not me... I'm definitely considering getting Doom 2016 on the Switch someday, but since I've already had it on another platform, am in no hurry for it. The Switch's limited storage space (even with my purchased SD card) is kinda the other main thing that makes me unsure about getting the game on there at this time, but I hope to maybe have it someday so I can re-experience the multiplayer with friends on the Switch. Playing the campaign again on the go has its appeal too, of course.

Mario Odyssey and other games will still keep me occupied for awhile, regardless.

If this helps a bit, Best Buy is running their Black Friday deals on certain items now, including a 64GB and 128GB microSD for $25 and $30 respectively (Oh, the other difference is that the 64GB has a slightly higher read/write speed at 95MB/s compared 80MB/s. Not sure how fast the Switch tops off at.).

Edited by avalonknight
  • 2 months later...

Just began playing Doom on the Switch yesterday after getting the game as a Christmas gift. First impressions, I'm not use to this kind of action in a first person shooter. I was actually getting nauseated from all of the turning I was doing to keep track of the enemies coupled with the sense of speed the Doom Marine has. Earlier today though, I played the game in a short burst and felt fine. It might be one of those games that I have to take at a slower pace in order to enjoy it instead of trying to go for longer play sessions. Beyond that, I think the game is solid in terms of gameplay mechanics, graphics, sound and atmosphere. This game reminds me a lot of Metroid: Samus Returns in its combat mechanics with the system of shooting down an enemy until they give off an indication that they can be brutally killed with a melee attack.

• 4 months later...

A follow-up to Doom '16 definitely came faster than I expected, not that I'm complaining. y;

Hopefully Eternal also eventually gets ported to the Switch, assuming it uses the same engine as the last one.

Oh, and it's basically the setting of Doom II: Hell on Earth, whose title speaks for itself.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I am really excited for Doom Eternal.  It looks really good and the Doom Engine is just a stellar game engine to begin with.  It does not surprise me they are getting out so fast considering how well received the last game was.  I am all about getting some new Doom and by the time this does get released hopefully I can do a new computer build.  I am just waiting for them fucking 4K graphics cards to come down in price a bit.  Currently running a Nvidia 970 GTX and its doing fine enough but it would be nice to be able to run games at 4K at 60fps but I  ain't paying a grand for a card that can do it.

• 1 month later...

That didn't take long... Since the ship eventually kinda sailed far as me rebuying Doom 2016 for the Switch, I can definitely consider getting Doom Eternal on the system since it'll be new for me, tho with an amazing looking sequel like that, am not too picky as to what platform I get it on personally.