Super Mario Odyssey Thoughts

Didn't see a thread about this. Just a thread for general thoughts and reactions.

My first thought of the opening with the Rex was new IP, briefly thought it was MH, jaw dropped when it was Mario controlling the Rex.

God damn that was pretty great stuff. Side thought. Anyone else remember the T-Rex like baddies in Star Fox adventures. Those enemies had me shitting bricks when I was younger, like I'm the type of person who always dreams about Dinosaur's chasing me. I wonder if the Rex in SMO will be the same? Chasing you.

I really like the idea that everything is suddenly a power up, now that Mario can now posses almost anything. It's very clever, and forces players to look at environments a bit differently, like Breath of the Wild.

I'm not in love with New Donk City. There's stuff I like about it, platforming on sky scrapers, and stuff I don't, everyone is wearing a suit. The suit thing might come off as kind of charming to some people, but to me it's kind of plain, jarring, to see all these NPCs walk around wearing the same suit (various colors), especially when comparing it to other cities from video games. I get they're going for kind of an old fashion NY city theme, but whatever.

What I do like about New Donk City is the possible rumored lore. It's the city that Donkey Kong messed up in Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Pauline is now the mayor. That's pretty cool. It makes me hope there are more references to Donkey Kong other than some street signs. 

Also. If the game is opening up the possibilities of visiting old worlds from previous Mario game settings, it'd be cool to revisit Subcon (even if it is a dream) and fight Wart in some capacity.

That song in the trailer is also very snappy. It kind of reminds of Bayonetta's theme.

I wonder if they're the same singers?

I'm excited. Thank god they're stepping away from Super Mario 3D World >:P

I really like how extensive the possession mechanic is.  All in all, it's another generation with a continued step up in the main Mario series.  From Galaxy to 3D World and now Odyssey I like how they raising the bar and pushing new ideas and Odyssey seems like the biggest push yet in that regard.  Looking forward to playing it.

A few e3 impression links

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/first_impressions_beginning_our_journey_with_super_mario_odyssey_on_nintendo_switch

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/06/14/super-mario-odyssey-hands-on-fan-impressions-ign-access

The first  thing bugging me right now about this game is Mario's humanity vs. the NPC's humanity-- it doesn't fit right to me--maybe that gets explained out somehow.

The 2nd thing that bugs me is some of the worlds look desolate in terms of structures and stuff to do.  Granted, one of the videos showing off New Donk City where Mairo was atop the skyline you couldn't see much on the ground below but when he jumped down lower the lower levels started to showing up in the distance.  However, the desert levels that showed mario atop a structure and was looking out over the world look like a lot barren desert with small areas that playable action to them.  I think it was via the treehouse stream but that forest level looked incredible.  I did like what I saw in New Donk City of the going down the sewer pile and ending up in a bonus level to get some loot.

I wonder if Mario power ups were thought to have gotten stale by Nintendo and thus they came up with the idea of using a Cap to possess enemies and objects to get their powers to perform tasks.  I'm still in awe of him possessing that real T Rex.  There seems to be infinite possibilities with this mechanic aside from its own attacks like that cap toss for jumping and the circle spin attack.  The bullet bill stuff was EPIC.  While in this same train of thought, I like all the costumes Mario can wear and it seems some of the clothing can give him different abilities and/or access to certain areas.

I think that 2D/wall hugging thing out of ALBW was a very cool addition.  I would wonder if any of those sprites return in the next Super Mario Maker.

I wonder if they plan to show any of the ship travel and other worlds while at e3.

I wonder if somehow Rosalina, DK, and some other Mario characters factor into this game since Pauline is mayor of New Donk City....

I like the idea of the differing areas having their own currency for their own shops while the standard coins are your life meter so to speak.

Of all the plot lines that Mario games have had.... taking out a group of rogue wedding planners that are helping Bowser mary Peach might be the most over the top thing they have done.

Edited by purple_beard
11 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

That song in the trailer is also very snappy. It kind of reminds of Bayonetta's theme.

I wonder if they're the same singers?

I'm excited. Thank god they're stepping away from Super Mario 3D World >:P

I do like the old school snappy sound of that theme song for sure.

That said, what is up with musicians and bands in the game?  Seems like Miyamoto is still on that musical kick of his.  Are supposed to be reuniting the wedding band(s)?

I'm totally sold on the game; I'd be happy not watching any more trailers and buying day one. The transformation mechanic perfectly straddles the line between complete ridiculousness and Nintendo-style quirkiness, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what other transformations the game has, which is why I don't want to see too many more details on the game.

Super Mario Odyssey is going above and beyond anything I would have expected Nintendo to do.  My only hope is that they can do something similar with 2D Mario and don't just do a boring New Super Mario Bros. Switch.

Theme song is amazing

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

New Donk City is a ridiculously stupid name.

That's literally my only complaint.

It's stupid, but I would never change it.  It's delightfully dumb.

I pre-ordered it this morning even though I don't have a Switch yet and I hope I'm able to get a Switch by the time it comes out. As long as it has greater than or equal to the control / camera precision of the SMG games, which I think was by far the best out of the true 3D Mario games (i.e. excluding SM3DL and SM3DW) and it has the just overwhelming joyous fun factor of the SMG games, which again were just by far my favorites in terms of overall fun, then I'll be in love with this game. And if it adds back certain things like the more exploratory traits of SM64 & SMS as well as if the new mechanics like possessing enemies and other NPC's and hat attacks add to the fun, then that's just icing on the cake. :D

I don't have a Switch yet, but this is the game I'll buy it for. Hopefully there is a decent bundle or something when this one comes out. I'm super hyped. SUper Mario 3D word was fun but was a far cry from the quality of games like Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. The fact that they keep comparing it to Mario 64 and Sunshine makes me really excited. From what I've seen I'm very optimistic. If Metroid didn't have a random syper hype return it would be my game of the show. It actually probably ties Samus Returns for my game of the show. 

The ability to turn into so many different things was pretty jaw dropping to me. Like a taxi? Just when you think Nintendo outdoes themselves with a franchise, they take it a step further. 

Excited for the game. To get ready for it I think I will go ahead and play some of the older 3D Mario games again. It's the 10 year anniversary of Galaxy and would love to go back and play that for the first time in about a decade. Will be playing as Luigi though since I didn't beat his part last time. 

• Chrom featured this topic