Metroid: Samus Returns announced for Nintendo 3DS (Metroid II remake)

I haven't expressed my opinion on this yet, and I'll probably write my full thoughts later. But if you're interested in picking up the special edition, preorders are still up at Gamestop. They recently sold out on Best Buy and Amazon, so it looks like this is the last option for the time being. 

Edited by Laclipsey

I hate that Europe is getting better treatment for Metroid, don't have enough money to import since it would just be for collective purposes due to 3DS being region locked. Really happy I locked in my SE when the game was announced, then got my money down for the amiibo the next day.

30 minutes ago, Carl321 said:

From the sounds of things it's not that hard to hack your 3DS and download a custom firmware to disable region lock. Not worth the effort for something we should have gotten, though.

I don't want to risk it as I have a number of titles in digital form. Its a pity even with the 2DS XL coming that they still would not take out region lock at least for physical titles.

2 hours ago, Cryptic said:

NoA needs to step up their game, or at least just copy what NoE is doing.

NoA suddenly becoming competent with how they do or what they offer with any kind of special edition or rewards system?

<looks at the state of MyNintendo rewards>

They have to actually want to partake in the game before they can even step up.

Edited by Punchy
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think that the final boss won't be the Queen Metroid? With Zero Mission, much of the game's new content seemed to come after the battle with Mother Brain, which lead to the game having two more bosses following the original game's final boss. With Metroid Samus Returns, I think most if not all of the new content will be put in between the landing on SR388 and fighting the Queen Metroid, keeping the start and end of the remake pretty much the same as the original game.

Whether it's before or after the Metroid Queen, I would expect some new content regardless. I'd personally prefer the Zero Mission style of new content post-Mother Brain with this, but I'm not sure they'll pull a Chozodia with SR388 where they introduce a whole new region. It's a bit harder to picture for me than it was with Zebes, but I don't know, they could surprise me. Also wouldn't mind a flash-forward scene at the end leading up to Super, with Ridley taking the last Metroid from Ceres or just showing Samus being on her way to Ceres. Apart from that, it'll be interesting regardless to see how the new enemies compare or differ from those in AM2R. The flying Torizo in that was all kinds of epic.