N4A Movie Night on Wednesday  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What to watch?

• Frozen
    • Pokémon Heroes
    • The Avengers

This poll is closed to new votes

21 minutes ago, Yehu Bihdi said:

By cut out parts, do you mean The Birth of Mewtwo?  Because that was added with the Kanzenban, (Special Edition,) along with all the other changes they made to the movie.

Also, ew, the dub.

Correct. Which I guess isn't the original theatrical release, but it's the one that wasn't released initially in NA and so most people here probably haven't seen it.

And lol, no one wants to try and chat with people and read subs at the same time. It's impossible and you'd miss stuff for sure.

Edited by Mao
17 minutes ago, Mao said:

Correct. Which I guess isn't the original theatrical release, but it's the one that wasn't released initially in NA and so most people here probably haven't seen it.

And lol, no one wants to try and chat with people and read subs at the same time. It's impossible and you'd miss stuff for sure.

Well, neither the Japanese Theatrical nor the Japanese Kanzenban were ever released in the States.  On top of the script and soundtrack changes, the American versions have even more CGI than both, and although part of the Birth of Mewtwo was tacked onto the American VHS only for the full Birth of Mewtwo to be released later as an extra on the American Mewtwo Returns DVD, the version of the Birth of Mewtwo at the beginning of the Japanese Kanzenban has different animation than the American Birth of Mewtwo.  (And, yet again, a different script and soundtrack.)

Edited by Yehu Bihdi
3 minutes ago, Yehu Bihdi said:

Well, neither the Japanese Theatrical nor the Japanese Kanzenban were ever released in the States.  On top of the script and soundtrack changes, the American versions have even more CGI than both, and although part of the Birth of Mewtwo was tacked onto the American VHS only for the full Birth of Mewtwo to be released later as an extra on the American Mewtwo Returns DVD, the version of the Birth of Mewtwo at the beginning of the Japanese Kanzenban has different animation than the American Birth of Mewtwo.  (And, yet again, a different script and soundtrack.)

I don't have a US release.

Possibly dumb question or already answered and I just missed it, but by "The Avengers" do you mean Marvel's The Avengers or that old movie The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, which most people have probably never heard of, lol? I'm assuming the former of the 2 but just wondering if you were trying to pull some obscure shit on us. :P I've never seen the latter one although it looks like shit but I guess I can't really judge it unless I actually see it. :v

7 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

Possibly dumb question or already answered and I just missed it, but by "The Avengers" do you mean Marvel's The Avengers or that old movie The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, which most people have probably never heard of, lol? I'm assuming the former of the 2 but just wondering if you were trying to pull some obscure shit on us. :P I've never seen the latter one although it looks like shit but I guess I can't really judge it unless I actually see it. :v

I meant the Marvel movie. theydonothing;

1 hour ago, Weaver said:

I haven't seen it yet, but there's no way it's better than Destiny Deoxys.

I don't know... They're both pretty bad. theydonothing;

Heroes is overall pretty "meh", though it does have some pretty cool action set pieces. Without spoiling anything, it also has a very beautiful and touching moment, that it probably didn't really earn thanks to poor characterization. None the less I found it very moving as a concept and portrayed rather nicely.

9 hours ago, Yehu Bihdi said:

Also, ew, the dub.

Personally I'd rather listen to a bad dub in a language I can understand than read subtitles for a native language that and I can only assume has better acting. You miss so much of the story being told by the visuals when your eyes are constantly glued to the bottom the screen. Especially where animation is concerned.

11 hours ago, Mao said:

I've seen the dub on released story of the Birth of Mewtwo a few years later on DVD, a interesting tale now that I look back at why Mewtwo is the way it is in the first Pokemon movie but when I first watched it I thought it was pretty dull.

4 hours ago, Weaver said:

I haven't seen it yet, but there's no way it's better than Destiny Deoxys.

That's the name of the movie that had Rayquaza in it. Yeah, I agree that's the best Pokemon movie, Heroes follows right after it.

---

Won't be here to watch most Wednesdays cause of Smash night tonight at 9pm est and won't be home til 10pm to play, if there's night where the movie nights aren't on Wednesdays, I'll drop in.

Edited by DLurkster

Brought it up in the stream, gonna gauge some interest here:

Would anyone be up to watch a couple of the Digimon movies? For the record, unlike the Pokemon movie dubs which are somewhat decent, Digimon The Movie is abysmal in almost every conceivable way. So if people REALLY want that I SUPPOSE I can gather that. Otherwise, my snobbishness is gonna insist we watch subtitled, which isn't nearly as hard as y'all seem to think. I think I'd probably go with the three movies that are part of Digimon the movie anyway (Digimon Adventure, Our War Game, and Hurricane Touchdown), plus Revenge of Diaboramon. Potentially cutting out Hurricane Touchdown, or doing it last due to its length and that it's independent from other movies.

As for when, potentially tomorrow (the 29th) or sometime next week... or any time this movie night isn't going.

12 hours ago, Marxforever said:

I don't know... They're both pretty bad. theydonothing;

Heroes is overall pretty "meh", though it does have some pretty cool action set pieces. Without spoiling anything, it also has a very beautiful and touching moment, that it probably didn't really earn thanks to poor characterization. None the less I found it very moving as a concept and portrayed rather nicely.

Personally I'd rather listen to a bad dub in a language I can understand than read subtitles for a native language that and I can only assume has better acting. You miss so much of the story being told by the visuals when your eyes are constantly glued to the bottom the screen. Especially where animation is concerned.

It's not so much the worse acting as the worse script and soundtrack.

Cool, looks like everything went well. That's awesome to hear.

1 hour ago, LimeCatMaster said:

Brought it up in the stream, gonna gauge some interest here:

Would anyone be up to watch a couple of the Digimon movies? For the record, unlike the Pokemon movie dubs which are somewhat decent, Digimon The Movie is abysmal in almost every conceivable way. So if people REALLY want that I SUPPOSE I can gather that. Otherwise, my snobbishness is gonna insist we watch subtitled, which isn't nearly as hard as y'all seem to think. I think I'd probably go with the three movies that are part of Digimon the movie anyway (Digimon Adventure, Our War Game, and Hurricane Touchdown), plus Revenge of Diaboramon. Potentially cutting out Hurricane Touchdown, or doing it last due to its length and that it's independent from other movies.

As for when, potentially tomorrow (the 29th) or sometime next week... or any time this movie night isn't going.

What time tomorrow? It's Mario Kart 8 night at 10pm edt with members on here.

So depending how I'm feeling or free, Wedenesday and Thursday nights are no good but I can always alternate playing one game night a week, then a movie. Again, if I'm free.

Otherwises, how Sundays, Mondays, or Tuesdays. I'm not always busy on Fridays or Saturdays but I didn't mention that cause most could be busy or out. So how are those days?