Amazon Prime to offer discounts to people on welfare

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/06/06/amazon-offers-prime-discount-to-those-on-government-benefits.html

From a business standpoint of going after these shoppers, Wal-Mart's life blood, I think this is smart, but at the same time it kind of diminishes the service's value for those who pay full price. 

I decided to remove the auto renew on my subscription because of this news. Maybe they should have just lowered the price for everyone. Greedy bastards.

That being said I have no issue with them offering a discounted rate to the less fortunate. I mean, online shopping is a part of life now, but 5-10 years ago if they announced discounted online shopping for people on welfare you'd probably see a lot of "stop shopping online if you're on welfare" comments. But nowadays you can get anything online, not just harder to find items.

16 minutes ago, ライムネコマスター said:

reminder: if you're poor, you deserve 0 nice things. you gotta pull yourself by them bootstraps and be a real member of society to have something like a cellphone that's less than a decade old

You are assuming a lot.

If Amazon wanted more business they should have lowered the price for everyone or offered a lower priced bracket of Prime that offers free 2 day shipping. Right now there is no announced difference between this discounted Prime and full priced Prime.

This has nothing to do with people on welfare not being able to afford Prime, and everything to do with Amazon being really shitty with how they do business. Don't kid yourself by trying to paint them as being altruistic in helping needy people. It has nothing to do with that and everything with going after Wal-Mart while hiding behind an altruistic mask so that their exsisting customers don't demand the lower price.

Besides that point. Prime is something that's been a hard sell lately. I only use it for free 2 day shipping, which has been spotty. Hearing that some people will be able to pay a smaller fee for such a service broke the camel's back.

It's not worth it anymore.

Edited by luigitornado
2 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

You are assuming a lot.

If Amazon wanted more business they should have lowered the price for everyone or offered a lower priced bracket of Prime that offers free 2 day shipping. Right now there is no announced difference between this discounted Prime and full priced Prime.

This has nothing to do with people on welfare not being able to afford Prime, and everything to do with Amazon being really shitty with how they do business. Don't kid yourself by trying to paint them as being altruistic in helping needy people. It has nothing to do with that and everything with going after Wal-Mart while hiding behind an altruistic mask so that their exsisting customers don't demand the lower price.

Besides that point. Prime is something that's been a hard sell lately. I only use it for free 2 day shipping, which has been spotty. Hearing that some people will be able to pay a smaller fee for such a service broke the camel's back.

It's not worth it anymore.

reminder: if you're poor, you deserve 0 nice things. you gotta pull yourself by them bootstraps and be a real member of society to have something like a cellphone that's less than a decade old

19 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

That's irrelevant to this discussion. We had a topic not too long ago asking if Prime was worth it. And I was on the fence about it. Now I'm not. Are you trying to convince me it is by guilting me? Lol

You make whatever argument you want. But your past posts on a variety of topics lead me to believe you don't like poor people. This topic proves it. Especially considering you don't want a thing now that low income people can have it.

Just now, ライムネコマスター said:

You make whatever argument you want. But your past posts on a variety of topics lead me to believe you don't like poor people. This topic proves it. Especially considering you don't want a thing now that low income people can have it.

I don't really like Amazon Prime. Valuing the service at $99 a year was a hard sell before. I only really kept on to it because of free 2 day shipping (20% of new games is nice, but if you wait a few months you can usually get a discount like that anyway), but like I said in the past, even that has seen spotty results: not getting some items for 3-4 business days at times.

Now they're bracketing off services under new labels, such as "Prime Fresh" where you can buy fresh groceries at an additional cost of $14.99 a month. It's a bit ridiculous, and I only suspect they'll keep adding new brackets under the Prime label as they diversify, turning what used to be a PRIME service into a mid-tier one.

But like I said, even though you are ignorantly dismissing what I said because of a stupid witch hunt and your opinions of me, Amazon should just offer the $50 to everyone. Or hell, just do what most companies do and offer a lower price bracket, for an example a bracket that offers free 2 day shipping for half the cost Prime. I'd sign that up in a heart beat.

But they're too greedy to do anything like that, and are effectively trying to end any hopes of such a service by labeling a discounted Prime as something only people on welfare can have. 

So! I voted with my wallet, which I'm allowed to do...right?

One thing I gotta say I hate about Prime, is that a lot of preorders lately have been for Prime members only. Like the Neon Switch, etc. I get having specific sales for them, but preorders on a new product.

Also, also. If this is just to take on Walmart, I support it. Fuck Walmart. Fuck them and their shady practices.

14 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

I don't really like Amazon Prime. Valuing the service at $99 a year was a hard sell before. I only really kept on to it because of free 2 day shipping (20% of new games is nice, but if you wait a few months you can usually get a discount like that anyway), but like I said in the past, even that has seen spotty results: not getting some items for 3-4 business days at times.

Now they're bracketing off services under new labels, such as "Prime Fresh" where you can buy fresh groceries at an additional cost of $14.99 a month. It's a bit ridiculous, and I only suspect they'll keep adding new brackets under the Prime label as they diversify, turning what used to be a PRIME service into a mid-tier one.

But like I said, even though you are ignorantly dismissing what I said because of a stupid witch hunt and your opinions of me, Amazon should just offer the $50 to everyone. Or hell, just do what most companies do and offer a lower price bracket, for an example a bracket that offers free 2 day shipping for half the cost Prime. I'd sign that up in a heart beat.

But they're too greedy to do anything like that, and are effectively trying to end any hopes of such a service by labeling a discounted Prime as something only people on welfare can have. 

So! I voted with my wallet, which I'm allowed to do...right?

🤔

11 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

One thing I gotta say I hate about Prime, is that a lot of preorders lately have been for Prime members only. Like the Neon Switch, etc. I get having specific sales for them, but preorders on a new product.

Also, also. If this is just to take on Walmart, I support it. Fuck Walmart. Fuck them and their shady practices.

that's....the point tho. its a prime service. people are.....paying for it....for first selections, among other things. 

also (not to you, but to LT), i'm not sure how adding prime fresh turns regular prime into a mid-tier service  when you can literally just not pay for it if you're not interested? how is that relevant? they aren't taking anything away from what prime is so who cares.

like if you don't think prime is worth 99 buckaroos then its whatever, but that shouldn't have  anything to do with the company offering a discount for people on government assistance because its a completely unrelated event causing an issue only with your incredible entitlement. prime is worth more than 50 dollars a year whether you want to pay it or not. that's literally not even 10 bucks a month (and isn't even at 99), which is less than my netflix for a year.

Okay but seriously, LT, my dude, my man, you're allowed to think whatev r you want about the value or worth of Prine, but again, the straw the broke the camel's back for you is "poor people can get this now". Seems a bit shitty to me, tbh. That's why I'm saying you don't like poor people. If this is what crosses the line for you, well, surely you can understand why one might question your motives.

also it seems kind of counter intuitive to be accessible to poor people if you're "greedy" but 🤔

14 minutes ago, chickadee said:

that's....the point tho. its a prime service. people are.....paying for it....for first selections, among other things. 

It's more that Nintendo is putting out a product, with limited initial availability, and they're like "we'll let you preorder one... if you pay for our subscription service" - to me it's like when GameStop bundles hard to get things with shit you don't want without even discounting the bundle, like sure you can have one of the Switches we just got in, but you're buying 1-2 Switch and a Pro Controller with it ohyeah;"

It's like a middle finger to the MSRP by circumventing it with these "deals"

22 minutes ago, chickadee said:

also (not to you, but to LT), i'm not sure how adding prime fresh turns regular prime into a mid-tier service  when you can literally just not pay for it if you're not interested? how is that relevant? they aren't taking anything away from what prime is so who cares.

like if you don't think prime is worth 99 buckaroos then its whatever, but that shouldn't have  anything to do with the company offering a discount for people on government assistance because its a completely unrelated event causing an issue only with your incredible entitlement. prime is worth more than 50 dollars a year whether you want to pay it or not. that's literally not even 10 bucks a month (and isn't even at 99), which is less than my netflix for a year.

If they want to hurt Wal-Mart by increasing Prime subs, then they should offer a discount to the service for everyone. If that means offering a lower tier service that directly competes with Wal-Mart, like only free 2 day shipping, then I'd forgo my regular Prime and take that one in a heart beat. And that's exactly why they're not offering it. They know how little people value their video thing and other services included in Prime, and know people would down sub in the bucket loads if given the opportunity.

They're going after a market aggressively under the guise of being alturistic while ripping others off.

And you'd think Prime Fresh and  Prime Music would be included in Prime, as Prime used to be their premium service, but all those services are is an upsell

for a higher bracket service sold in pieces.

If you find value in Prime then yeah whatever. All I want is an option to pay for a cheaper service. It's what they're doing with their more

premium shit, so why can't I just pay for a subscription for free 2 day shipping?

They're overstepping, and being greedy, so I unsubbed. 

Edited by luigitornado

I like how this thread is like:

"Benefits for poor people"

"But what about my not poor privilege!"

Who cares if a company's motives aren't 100% altruistic? Guess what? They're a company. Most companies only care about profit. But oh hey look, profit and something that benefits the less privileged. The fact that anyone is complaining about this is the reason humanity is a fucking pile of garbage.