Switch paid online now coming in 2018 for $20 a year

28 minutes ago, luigitornado said:

Would it kill sales for SNES mini?

I liked your answer but...

I don't see how a SNES mini would at all be affected by what Nintendo plans to offer.  The SNES Mini is probably some stand alone box like the NES one with a HDMI out ...wonder if they put one or two controllers in it and how many games along with the pricing.  It'd have to be $20 more than the NES one right?

IMO, the real question is why was this pushed back for 2018?  That seems like a 6 month + push back.

And while I was joking in another post, I'd seriously put out there that they are taking the Switch profits right now and through the most likely big holiday season for the system to pay for some serious server upgrades to make this thing work like it should when money is being paid.

Then, along with that thought, does that mean that some other big online title will be the "launch" game like SMASH?  I really find it hard they'd go through Splatoon 2 and ARMS releases without beefing up the online first.

24 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

IMO, the real question is why was this pushed back for 2018?  That seems like a 6 month + push back.

And while I was joking in another post, I'd seriously put out there that they are taking the Switch profits right now and through the most likely big holiday season for the system to pay for some serious server upgrades to make this thing work like it should when money is being paid.

Then, along with that thought, does that mean that some other big online title will be the "launch" game like SMASH?  I really find it hard they'd go through Splatoon 2 and ARMS releases without beefing up the online first.

Yea that may makes the most sense. To improve the online.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

I think they might want more than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 before rolling out with their paid service, that way they have a larger wave of subscribers from the start. Smash Deluxe and maybe even another online game will probably be their final case to bring in subscribers at/near launch. Could just not be ready too, that's possible.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I really find it hard they'd go through Splatoon 2 and ARMS releases without beefing up the online first.

Well this is Nintendo we are talking about. For them to justify any of this, I'm expecting real services, real dedicated server and none of this P2P shit.

11 hours ago, IU said:

I think they might want more than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 before rolling out with their paid service, that way they have a larger wave of subscribers from the start. Smash Deluxe and maybe even another online game will probably be their final case to bring in subscribers at/near launch. Could just not be ready too, that's possible.

So, with that line of thought.... Smash DLX; with catalog titles of MK8DLX, ARMS, Splatoon 2,   and other(s); will be the launch game to launch the paid online service?

And that also begs the question about what online updates do the VC games get since they are touting that as well...

$20 I can deal with though I'm glad they free period is still going for the time being.  I'm curious to see what rollout of classic games they have with added online will be.  Super Mario Bros. 3 is listed which makes me wonder what they're going to do with that.