k4LMP9P.png

keeping in mind that this is a hori product, this is still a good look at how nintendo is going to expect you to voice chat

completely indefensible, and amusing as all hell considering all the talk of "avoiding clunky gamer headsets" by reggie

also you can get the headset in splatoon 2 if you really want

DBOVaVFUwAAXvyb.jpg

and remember

you are paying monthly for the privilege of using this thing

except you, iphone 7 owners

fuck you in particular

Just now, EH_STEVE said:

We're also only talking about how a 3rd party headset is working.

And it's working this way because of how Nintendo designed the system.

Given that the headset is actually in their game, this is how Nintendo is going to expect you to use the voice chat system that you're paying for.

Well, if there's anything I like about this, I think the design of the switch set is kind of cute.

I'd personally like to wait on Nintendo to provide more details on this since I dunno if this is necessarily representative of their actual plans or if this is just its own thing, but supposing it's what it looks like, yeah I agree it's very lame. I see no good reason why there has to be a dedicated app on another device or why you have to use another device at all to communicate with other players on Switch when it's always been much simpler on other and older platforms through native software. Nothing about this is compelling and instead is just needlessly complicated. And the kicker is that this is what they want people to pay for.

Unless this somehow turns out to better than it actually looks like, I'd rather just use something like Discord if I wanted voice chat on Switch.

Why can't they just have the headset directly plug into the Switch or controllers/grips? I also don't like that the image shows just handheld mode, but if we may be seeing small cords and if it can only plug into the jack on the Switch, then I guess that's the most practical set up. Complicated and limiting...It amazes me that this is the same company that in 2006 had voice chat possible in lobby with the press of a button.

Maybe they'll have something better from Nintendo officially, but I'm not too confident. This is in the area of online gaming.

What is it about Nintendo lately, with all of these impossibly short cables? I almost physically could not hook my new Switch up to the TV because the cables require that your HDMI port be almost directly adjacent to an outlet, with a flat surface in the middle for the dock.

There are a lot of small things wrong beyond this, like no buttons (or HOME menu access) when used as a tablet, and the volume and power are right next to each other and only on the physical unit. But maybe in the future there will be specialized Joy-Cons we can swap out. Maybe future Joy-Con models will include volume, power and microphone features. Not that it'd be out of character for Nintendo to ignore this opportunity.

10 minutes ago, IU said:

Why can't they just have the headset directly plug into the Switch or controllers/grips? I also don't like that the image shows just handheld mode, but if we may be seeing small cords and if it can only plug into the jack on the Switch, then I guess that's the most practical set up. Complicated and limiting...It amazes me that this is the same company that in 2006 had voice chat possible in lobby with the press of a button.

Maybe they'll have something better from Nintendo officially, but I'm not too confident. This is in the area of online gaming.

Because the system doesn't actually do voice chat on a system level, which is why it needs to come from the smartphone app. This is entirely a problem of Nintendo's own making.

The hell of this situation is that Hori's solution is probably the most elegant way they could make this work, assuming that there were concerns with interference with the joycons, which is probably the case given the bluetooth situation.

I knew it was going to be bad, because they're shoehorning in a chat app as the main form of communication, but I didn't know it was going to be this bad. They didn't just go out of their way to make the app system work, they invested 100% in the ridiculous thing. They didn't even think twice about leaving room for conventional measures. That is beyond backwards. There are going to be soooo many people that pull their Switch off it's base from an audio line. :v

But maybe that's what they wanted, since Switch 2.0 will surely fix it. Congratulations early adopters, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by The Guardian Mew

I can't wait for the support calls on this:

Customer: Yes, I am having issues with my joycons when I play Splatoon 2

Nintendo Service Rep: Okay, let's see what could be the problem. Do you have anything that could be causing interference... like a cellphone near by?

Customer: Yeah, I'm using my cellphone to voice chat in the game.

Nintendo Service Rep: Oh well there's the problem. Cellphones can interfere with the joycon's signal. So don't have or use your cellphone near the joycons and you should be good.

Customer: ....

If this is for all online games, then WTF services are they going to charge us for?

Edited by Punchy