The Lady Liberty - N4A Chat Thread, June 2017

You should play Metal Gear Rising because it's the best game Platinum has ever made.

But yeah, the only games that are absolutely necessary are Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid 4. The hottest of takes, sure, but the Big Boss games (Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, "The Phantom Pain") are basically just about how Big Boss tries to build Outer Heaven, "But It Doesn't Work Out This Time Because...". They're skippable if you view the MGS series as the story of Solid Snake, which it actually kind of is.

Portable Ops is pretty bad, Peace Walker isn't much better, Ground Zeroes is the fullest expression of what Metal Gear Solid was always trying to be, and The Phantom Pain is just an action game with all sorts of pointless mechanics bolted on that detract from the experience.

basically just buy this and you're good

also because nobody will tell you to play it besides me

Ghost Babel on the Gameboy Color is actually a very competent Metal Gear that takes the best elements of the 2D Metal Gear games and the first Solid game and creates something truly special with it. It's totally non-canon, though.

3 hours ago, Shion said:

so this past week I started something I should have done a long time ago: play metal gear solid series. I'm almost to the end of MGS1. I decided to skip metal gear 1 and 2--it wasn't released in USA until metal gear solid 3 (director's cut?) and ehhhh there's too many damn games in this series. I think I understand the essentials of metal gear 1 and 2 and how they relate to the premise of metal gear solid:

Hide contents

Metal Gear 1: So there's this place called Outer Haven that's building the first metal gear. Solid Snake works for FOXHOUND headed by Big Boss. He infiltrates and destroys metal gear and turns out Big Boss was the Big Bad all along. Ruh-roh. Snake kills him and escapes.

Metal Gear 2: Snake goes to Zanzibar island. Crap happens. Someone named Gray Fox--a fellow agent like solid snake--dies. Also, FOXHOUND is a shell of its former self, handed by Roy Campbell, but is still Solid Snake's organization.

Also, for Metal Gear Solid, my understanding is FOXHOUND (basically because a big bad originally handled it) is basically completely rogue now and are basically the terrorist organization you're fighting against.

Also, portable ops and metal gear rising are totally skippable? I.e., I need only play the numbered sequels and peace walker (and should play metal gear 1 and 2 but didn't) to fully understand the ccore story?

Portable Ops is noncanon now, IIRC.

Rising however, is totally worth the play regardless of how it impacts, or doesn't impact, the story.

10 hours ago, Shion said:

so this past week I started something I should have done a long time ago: play metal gear solid series. I'm almost to the end of MGS1. I decided to skip metal gear 1 and 2--it wasn't released in USA until metal gear solid 3 (director's cut?) and ehhhh there's too many damn games in this series. I think I understand the essentials of metal gear 1 and 2 and how they relate to the premise of metal gear solid:

Hide contents

Metal Gear 1: So there's this place called Outer Haven that's building the first metal gear. Solid Snake works for FOXHOUND headed by Big Boss. He infiltrates and destroys metal gear and turns out Big Boss was the Big Bad all along. Ruh-roh. Snake kills him and escapes.

Metal Gear 2: Snake goes to Zanzibar island. Crap happens. Someone named Gray Fox--a fellow agent like solid snake--dies. Also, FOXHOUND is a shell of its former self, handed by Roy Campbell, but is still Solid Snake's organization.

Also, for Metal Gear Solid, my understanding is FOXHOUND (basically because a big bad originally handled it) is basically completely rogue now and are basically the terrorist organization you're fighting against.

Also, portable ops and metal gear rising are totally skippable? I.e., I need only play the numbered sequels and peace walker (and should play metal gear 1 and 2 but didn't) to fully understand the ccore story?

Metal Gear Rising isn't story important but it's a really good game