Fire Emblem Warriors - New info (New/returning characters, representation, gameplay)

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/fire-emblem-warriors-adds-twin-original-protagonists-marth-chrom

The next issue of Famitsu has the first new details on Fire Emblem Warriors, and from what we're able to take away from it so far, there's a lot of new info. 

CXZEik6.jpg

Fire Emblem Warriors will tell the story of two new protagonists, Shion and Lian of the kingdom of Idris (names subject to change, presumably they're of royalty), which is engulfed in war.

hlixhDL.jpg

Legendary characters from the many different worlds of Fire Emblem appear to take up arms and join their cause, as we can see as Marth (from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) here in contact with their world. The Hero-King himself wields of the Blade of Light, Falchion. Chrom (from Fire Emblem Awakening) is also teased in a silhouette earlier in the magazine feature, though his inclusion is nothing new since he was confirmed in the original trailer for the game.

There's a lot of smaller info that gives more insight on what the game is like, from the article:

• Shion is voiced by Yuma Uchida. Lian is voiced by Maaya Uchida.
  • The Fire Emblem series’ mainstay weapon triangle and class systems exist in Fire Emblem Warriors. It is efficient to attack an Archer with a Pegasus Knight, for example. (Note: This is probably meant to be the other way around)
  • Intelligent Systems is supervising on things such as character settings.
  • There will be a huge, fully voiced script.
  • The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.
  • There are bond conversations with characters from across different titles.
  • There is no marriage, nor is there love as a result of becoming good friends.
  • Marth is voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa. Chrom is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.
  • There are two more original characters: Darios (voiced by Takuya Satou) and Yuana (voiced by Yuka Nagayoshi).
  • Development is currently 70 percent complete.
  • The project was in planning before Famitsu’s collaboration Musou title survey.
  • The first thing that was decided was “to do a Musou game that Fire Emblem fans would enjoy.”
  • The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in.
  • The reason all the protagonists from the Fire Emblem games are not being included is because if they did that, everyone would be using a sword.
  • You can switch characters while playing, so you’ll be able to control various weapons and classes of characters.
  • The number of playable characters is more than the first entry of any other Musou series collaboration.
  • Archers and magic users will be playable.
  • While Koei Tecmo can’t share details on the world yet, there is a “Shield of Fire” in this world that has tuned up from beyond space and time.
  • Units that ride a horse, such as the Cavalier, always fight on horse. They’re designed to have high mobility.
  • “Bond Conversations” are being prepared as support conversations. There is a huge amount of text, including serious conversations and goofy conversations.

Fire Emblem Warriors will release for Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo 3DS this fall.

Chion looks like a dork, lmao.

I'm pretty excited for this, really looking forward to it! Bond Conversations really have me giddy, just seeing these characters interacting with each other and getting to experience them again will be great.

What are yourthoughs on this @Chrom ?

oh wait, i just caught this

• The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.

:(

In the original trailer for the game, the Fire Emblem's five orbs only contained legendary weapons from those aforementioned games (Archanean/Ylissean Falchion, Siegfried, Raijinto, and Yato). So that was kind of already expected. Those are the games which most fans are familiar with nowadays, so naturally the roster will focus on them more than others, not unlike FE Heroes.

As long as Lucina is in it I really don't care what the rest of the roster is. Same goes for if she isn't in it, cuz I probably won't be getting a switch. If they can't meet my baseline Waifu needs, I'll take my money elsewhere. For this reason it makes me happy to see they're focusing on those four games, as it makes it more likely she'll be in. 

RIP Soren and the Great Gatrie

Hopefully I'll like some of the characters they use. I'm sure I'll find someone.

Just now, Mystearica said:

As long as Lucina is in it I really don't care what the rest of the roster is. Same goes for if she isn't in it, cuz I probably won't be getting a switch. If they can't meet my baseline Waifu needs, I'll take my money elsewhere. For this reason it makes me happy to see they're focusing on those four games, as it makes it more likely she'll be in. 

Lucina has been in, like, everything since she came out. I have no doubts she'll be in this one. Way too popular to not include.

Edited by Carl321
Just now, Carl321 said:

RIP Soren and the Great Gatrie

Hopefully I'll like some of the characters they use. I'm sure I'll find someone.

Lucina has been in, like, everything since she came out. I have no doubts she'll be in this one. Way too popular to not include.

I figure so as well, but you never know. 

Regardless of the reasons, limiting characters to only those three games is pretty damn disappointing. Well, it's only a Musou game.

EDIT: I saw this on the FE Reddit: devs talk about not wanting too many sword-wielders as they introduce two original characters who wield - you guessed it - swords.

Edited by Namevah

I guess it's silly if you try to look at it that way, but I don't find what they're saying or doing to be unreasonable. If they actually did prioritize trying to get every single protagonist in the game over taking the opportunity to use the more unique characters from the more popular games, it would likely hinder the game's potential for more diverse gameplay, as most of said protagonists use swords and lack the familiarity to sell the game. That's what put characters like Tharja or Felicia/Flora in a better position to be made playable than, say, Eliwood or Alm. Though I suspect DLC will likely serve as a way to add such characters in anyway.

5 minutes ago, Chrom said:

Iit would likely hinder the game's potential for more diverse gameplay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about a genre where you cut through dozens of brain-dead foes over and over and over, right? I mean, I haven't played any of these games, but do Musou games include diverse gameplay?

43 minutes ago, Namevah said:

Regardless of the reasons, limiting characters to only those three games is pretty damn disappointing. Well, it's only a Musou game.

EDIT: I saw this on the FE Reddit: devs talk about not wanting too many sword-wielders as they introduce two original characters who wield - you guessed it - swords.

Two new characters to help establish a plot and the new world is nothing compared to the amount of sword-wielding lords/protagonists across the FE franchise.  Out of the fourteen games in the franchise, I can count the number of protagonists who don't wield swords on one hand.

Two new characters who, instead of swords, could've wielded axes or lances or magic or transform into rabbits*. As others have pointed out, adding your own swordsman while arguing against too many swordsman is basically hypocritical. 

* And still could. People suspect that we'll have a degree of customization with the new heroes.

Edited by Namevah
26 minutes ago, Chrom said:

I guess it's silly if you try to look at it that way, but I don't find what they're saying or doing to be unreasonable. If they actually did prioritize trying to get every single protagonist in the game over taking the opportunity to use the more unique characters from the more popular games, it would likely hinder the game's potential for more diverse gameplay, as most of said protagonists use swords and lack the familiarity to sell the game. That's what put characters like Tharja or Felicia/Flora in a better position to be made playable than, say, Eliwood or Alm. Though I suspect DLC will likely serve as a way to add such characters in anyway.

I didn't think about it that way. Makese sense when put like that, the differences between the various lords in game-play would be pretty rather small. Sure, they could use the more obscure characters for gameplay diversity, but even I didn't expect to see, like, Jaffar or Amelia.

Oh well, if Hyrule Warrior is any indication, we'll likely get our fix via DLC

I'm not very familiar with these types of games either, but I can at least look at Hyrule Warriors and see how diverse its playable cast is compared to a hypothetical one where mostly everyone would use swords. Yeah a few of the characters in Hyrule Warriors do use swords too, but you also have quite a few unlikely characters like Agitha or Tingle who battle through less conventional means, which I'm sure helps make things more interesting.

Going off that, I'm sure there is a lot value seen in providing playable characters who offer new things to the table, so I don't think their reasoning about protagonist inclusion is misplaced or that the original characters also using swords really refutes the sentiment behind that. It is mildly amusing though, I do admit.

tbh, mostly like scenario is that those characters are my units types and can use more than one weapon.

I mean, most character in Hyrule Warriors already have multiple types of weapons. Just look at Link. I honestly don't see why they wouldn't go full my Unit with the new charatcers, it's hardly something new or out there for the Mosu formula.

In one of those screens it actually looks to me like Lian could be wielding a lance, though I'm not sure whether or not it's the same weapon she's holding in the other screen that's thought to be a sword.

Being able to use different types of weapons would be cool and pretty fitting, that'd be nice to see. Camilla would be way more interesting if she could use both axes and magic like she could in Fates for example.