Dragon Quest Builders demo is out on PS4 and Vita

10 minutes ago, Namevah said:

It's available? I took a look only a few minutes ago, but the PlayStation Store is so shitty that I couldn't find it.

I just checked via the Demos list on my Vita, listed under 'Dragon Quest Builders Demo'. You can also check via the search engine under 'Dragon Quest Builders'.

Edited by Lance's Dragonite
7 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

How long is it?

Around an hour, I think. But you can explore and build when it's done, you just can't progress at all.

8 minutes ago, Namevah said:

It's available? I took a look only a few minutes ago, but the PlayStation Store is so shitty that I couldn't find it.

It took me several minutes to find it... the store is very poorly sorted.

To get to it on PS4 I went to spotlight > free > Dragon Quest Builders... which is actually just the demo, clearly. :P

3 minutes ago, The Guardian Mew said:

Around an hour, I think. But you can explore and build when it's done, you just can't progress at all.

It took me several minutes to find it... the store is very poorly sorted.

To get to it on PS4 I went to spotlight > free > Dragon Quest Builders... which is actually just the demo, clearly. :P

Ah. That's decent. Sucks about not being able to progress further.

I'm not a fan of how the site is sorted either. There are some games in there that don't even have a demo in the demo section. theydonothing;

Edited by Lance's Dragonite
1 hour ago, The Guardian Mew said:

That's where I managed to track it down.

I'm coming from this demo as a big Minecraft player, so the third-person camera and using the shoulder buttons for elevation feels bazaar. I'd kill for, in the very least, a first-person camera. 

I'm probably a bigger fan of Minecraft's lack of structure, but it's great to have other characters. The "exchange" between Video (my male character, a reference to Commander Video being my Minecraft skin) and the girl who wandered up to my adopted village highlights how lonely Minecraft can be. That game does feature NPCs, but they're completely lacking in personality and exist only for simple trading.

I want to play a little more before I consider buying the game. It's scratching the Minecraft itch while playing different, but I could probably do okay sticking with Minecraft.

12 minutes ago, Namevah said:

It's funny, because I kind of hold the opposite opinion.

I've spent a lot of hours on Minecraft, and I enjoy it, but this feels more like a 'game' to me. The third person view and the ability to destroy multiple blocks with just a few swings really add to that feeling. I enjoy that aspect of DQB it a lot, and along with the greater and more colorful monster population, it feels less like a grind and more like an rpg.

More importantly though, my biggest complaint about Minecraft is the lack of interesting villagers, and that what you build doesn't really go to much use. You can build a really cool house, and other than showing it off, it's not going to hold a whole lot of value beyond the basic functions. In this game you're building a town for NPC's to use, and even basic buildings add to your base's score. Rooms you build adapt how the town uses them by the type of room they are. And furnishing it isn't just to look nice, you get a better base rating... I really like that. I always wanted the feeling of building an actual town of inhabitants in MC, and I feel like this game is going to do that better than even any combination of MC mods would.

I just hope the combat is fun and challenging. I found myself keep trying to dodge-roll... I'm not sure what I was last playing with a dodge-roll, but I don't think that's in this game. XD I almost wish running into monsters would activate a turn based battle system... but maybe that'll be an option in future installments. ^^ Which reminds me, the lack of multiplayer is also a bummer!

Edited by The Guardian Mew
31 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Only issue I have with it so far is via the cameras. At times it's a lot like the ones in Minecraft and it's hard to tell what I'm doing in regards to digging and block placement. anhero; Other than that though, it's pretty cool so far.

It seems like it would certainly benefit from some more complete control options. One thing worth mentioning is that if you swap items and swap back your 'item placement' cursor will come back.

Edited by The Guardian Mew
50 minutes ago, The Guardian Mew said:

It seems like it would certainly benefit from some more complete control options. One thing worth mentioning is that if you swap items and swap back your 'item placement' cursor will come back.

Definitely. That's what I didn't like about Minecraft. Cool.