Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

My first impressions are mixed. It is still Mario Kart 8, so I still find the tracks enjoyable in this release. I did think my left Joy-Con was malfunctioning though at first, but then I realized that the game by default has all of the assist options on. Once I switched them all off, the kart handling felt fine. I'm not too fond of the size of the SL button as the item button. It seems like if I even lessen the pressure on that button by the tiniest bit I will drop the item I'm holding or toss it. I was getting bothered by that during the two cups I completed, and I could see this being an issue for my siblings, especially my little brother as he has a more competitive mind set with the game.

I did play Bob-omb Blast as well....and I'm a little disappointed by what I experienced. It was fun to an extent, but I feel they changed too much about the original Bob-omb Blast for this game. First, and probably the worst takeaway, is that the throwing is really limited. It feels like I almost have to be right on top of other racers to hit them with Bob-ombs and it doesn't seem like I can chuck Bob-ombs over obstacles anymore because the arc of the throw now is so small (w/o a drift or trick). Second, I think the balance of the point system is too harsh. If a player is good, and racking up points, the game should not come in to balance out the battle when that player inevitably gets taken out. Personally, I think the respawn delay after losing all balloons is enough of a punishment in its self. The two combined were getting on my nerves.

58 minutes is not bad for my first session with Deluxe with the issues I was having, but I do hope it gets better tomorrow when I try to experience the game with my siblings.

I logged a lot of hours on MK8 on Wii U, but didn't keep me from having a great time on Deluxe last night with my fiancé. The tracks in this game are so gorgeous and so much fun. I've added Inkling Boy as one of my mains, and loved playing Urchin Underpass in battle mode. 

Its the same game, but it's a damn good game. A good second addition to the Switch lineup. Now it's almost two months until ARMS lol. At least Echoes will break up the wait next month.

My feelings haven't changed much having played with my siblings. Racing has gotten better now that I know not to hold on to items for too long. I really like the addition of the double item blocks to the game as well as the three levels of drift boost. In general, most of the tracks I've played on have had good placement for those double blocks.

Battle Mode is where most of my negative impressions are. I still think the forward throw in Bob-omb Blast is too short, and it almost puts too much weight on throwing Bob-ombs backwards since that forward throw is so nerfed compared to what it was in Double Dash. I've also now played Renegade Roundup and Shine Thief. The former is the best of the modes I've tried so far, mainly because they made Bob-omb Blast worse, though it suffers from an overall issue with Battle Mode. Shine Thief is the worst of the three modes I've played if only because it doesn't give the Shine Sprite to the player who hits the holder, but instead just drops it behind the previous holder. It just feels off to me and more irritating than it needs to be.

Battle Mode's overall issue for me is the mini-map display. Multi-level maps should not have mini-maps that look flat. I ended up getting confused from looking at the mini-map multiple times, and it dampened the experience of all the battles I've played so far. It would have been nice if the Battle Mode featured smaller arena sizes for say <4 players, as I did feel a few were a bit large for just 3. The crowns given at the end of the rounds should not all have Shine Sprites on them either. It should have been a Shell, Shine Sprite, Bob-omb, Piranha Plant and Coin for Balloon Battle, Shine Thief, Bob-omb Blast, Renegade Roundup and Coin Runners respectively. It's just a small detail that would have made the game more polished if it corresponded.

16 minutes ago, The Krazy One said:

@IU You can throw bombs farther if you hold the item button down for a second or so. It's either that or holding forward when throwing it.

I have the game now btw.

So the mode doesn't allow Bob-ombs to be held behind the kart? I will have to try that out when I play again. I'm always holding forward when I'm throwing forward, so hopefully holding the item button is the solution.

5 minutes ago, IU said:

So the mode doesn't allow Bob-ombs to be held behind the kart? I will have to try that out when I play again. I'm always holding forward when I'm throwing forward, so hopefully holding the item button is the solution.

No to the question. Holding the item button down then letting it go will throw the bomb further.

@The Krazy One Thank you for that information earlier. This Bob-omb Blast has felt like the one I remember now that I know how to throw Bob-ombs further and higher. I really enjoyed playing the mode with my siblings second time around. I hadn't realized that there was a way to quick turn initially either, so Shine Thief is not anywhere near as bad as I had thought.

I may end up buying another Joy-Con grip and pro controller in the near future after putting more time in with the game and getting some of the impressions my siblings have had. We all pretty much feel that the Joy-Cons are the worst way to experience the game, although they do still work well. It's just a comfort thing having to deal with those tiny buttons, especially the Joy-Con's SL and SR when sideways.

My sister and I also played through 4 races in VS in the Switch's tabletop mode. I don't think I can manage playing in that set-up with more than two players, but with two players I did not feel like I was straining my eyes too much to see what was occurring on screen. At worse, I was having trouble seeing who exactly other racers were, but in general I think it was a decent experience that I wouldn't mind sharing if I ever bring the game outside.

The unlocks are random I take it? Because my list is way different than yours, PB. I'm half tempted to reroll for my beloved Pipe frame if that's the case.

The double items are a ton of fun, and I love the new Ultra Turbo. But as anyone else noticed that with essentially double the items on the track it appears to have greatly increased the frequency of Bull Shells? It's almost comparable to the Wii. :P

Also why, in this title, did they decide to remove the feature where if you get a higher tier Trophy and Triple Star that it applies to all lower tiers?

3 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

The unlocks are random I take it? Because my list is way different than yours, PB. I'm half tempted to reroll for my beloved Pipe frame if that's the case.

The double items are a ton of fun, and I love the new Ultra Turbo. But as anyone else noticed that with essentially double the items on the track it appears to have greatly increased the frequency of Bull Shells? It's almost comparable to the Wii. :P

Also why, in this title, did they decide to remove the feature where if you get a higher tier Trophy and Triple Star that it applies to all lower tiers?

I believe they are random again... I'm keeping up with mine and at what intervals so I can know when the requirements change.  Ticks me off that Art has the Clown Car and AC tires yet I do not.... and I'm +400 on coins!

3* everything 150cc and under.

Gonna do mirrors before I go back to 200cc.

Man, the AI weapon hits in 150cc got super annoying, especially when you are dominating for 3 cups and on the 4th, on the last lap no less, they decide, NO, YOU WILL NOT BEAT US FOR A 3* RANK.  I mean, I gut dual blue shelled, lighting and blue shelled, recovered from a blue to a red hitting right as I was about to start...and all kind of various combos...

I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already. Love it! I hadn't played Mario Kart 8 before, so all of the content is new to me. There's an astonishing number of levels, and they're all gorgeous, especially when running at a native 1080p while docked.

Enjoying my Switch more and more by the day. Will have to play with you guys sometime. :D Time zones may make that a bit difficult though.

Missed 3-starring 3 cups in 150cc class. Mostly due to AI.

Haven't started Mirror or 200cc yet. Or any online or battles.

Set my game to 48 races of 3 player versus with auto-accelerate and auto-steer while I watched Netflix to get some coins. The random unlocking is very annoying.

Current set-up:

Link

-Circuit Special

-Crimson Roller

-Standard Glider

I can't remember what my old set up was, but this is doing okay for now...

Are bikes basically mandatory if I want to 3-star 200cc? Just wondering if I should be making the switch...

35 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Missed 3-starring 3 cups in 150cc class. Mostly due to AI.

Haven't started Mirror or 200cc yet. Or any online or battles.

Set my game to 48 races of 3 player versus with auto-accelerate and auto-steer while I watched Netflix to get some coins. The random unlocking is very annoying.

Current set-up:

Link

-Circuit Special

-Crimson Roller

-Standard Glider

I can't remember what my old set up was, but this is doing okay for now...

Are bikes basically mandatory if I want to 3-star 200cc? Just wondering if I should be making the switch...

I never rocked bikes on MK8 to get my 3*s.  I used Iggy or Lemmy(I just don't recall), PWing, AC tires, and cloud glider.  I got adept and timing the brake press and when the action took effect on screen to hit the corners like I needed to.