So, I guess it's officially canon now - Ganondorf Dragmire

The official usage in 25 years, since someone decided to just throw it into the English Instruction manual for Link to the Past, it seems that Ganondorf's official name is "Ganondorf Dragmire"

ganon.png.2882b96f92caec775026dec4e0ed675a.png

Unless of course you don't want to consider the official Zelda website canon, but here it is:

http://zelda.com/online-guide/

I've always kind of liked it, so I don't have qualms with this. But I can see some that might.

2 minutes ago, Kezay said:

To be honest, I always thought his name was Ganondorf Dragmire.  For as long as I can remember that's what it his full name was, had no idea it was even up for debate.

It was debatable because it only appeared in the English LttP instruction manual. Nowhere else. So it wasn't considered official because they believe the writer just sort of threw it in there randomly.

Nah, it's not canon until it's referenced in a game, or at least Hyrule Historia.  Hell, if they wanted to confirm the Dragmire name, Hyrule Historia is where they would have done it, not a website that no one reads.

I have no idea why they used the Dragmire name on the English site.  I don't know who at Nintendo of America develops or maintains it.  For all I know they have nothing to do with the games and just did some weak Google search and stumbled upon the name.  tbh I would consider the website to be LESS trustworthy of a source than the ALLTP manual, so I'm not really sure how it being on the website confirms anything.

The proper reaction to this being on the website should be "Huh, weird." not "Guys look Dragmire is canon now."  That people would uncritically assume such is silliness.

Edited by Cryptic

Dragmire...

I should've named my Giant Horse in BotW that. It sounds a hell of a lot better than just Dragon which I took from the (Gerudo) Dragon Smash move from Melee, since I was having trouble thinking of something related to Ganondorf. Crap... I suppose Phantom could've worked.

9 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

What sort of bothers me is that the Gerudo all have exotic Middle-Eastern-sounding names, but "Ganondorf Dragmire" just sounds like a standard medieval European fantasy name. Doesn't sound like a Gerudo name at all.

You could argue he took his father's name. Who certainly wasn't a Gerudo.