Having trouble accessing Ninfora on my Wii U/3DS XL browsers?

Bowser81889

Hey, so ever since today I've been having trouble accessing Ninfora on my Wii U/New 3DS XL internet browsers which worked just fine up until now.  It works just fine on my Windows 7 64-bit PC that I'm currently using to access the site, but not on those aforementioned devices which I happen to use a lot more for internet browsing.  I contacted Chrom on Twitter about this and he's been trying to work with Kodi to help me back into the site on those devices and suggested I make a thread about it.  Chom thought it might be a CDN issue.  Chrom suggested I run "nslookup ninfora.com" in the Command Prompt on my PC and when I did different addresses came up.  He suggested flushing my DNS which I tried but it's still not working on my devices even after turning my devices off and on again.

Makes no sense because they worked just fine until today in accessing this site, and those devices can still access NSider2 just fine and I thought both of these sites run on the same software and at the same version too.

Not sure what to do right now...

Edited by Bowser81889

Is your computer connected via Ethernet, by chance? If so, that may indicate an odd issue with wireless clients on the network.

Also, what error message - if any - do the Wii U and 3DS XL display when trying to connect to Ninfora? Do they keep trying to load the page but nothing happens? Do they error out entirely?

3 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Is your computer connected via Ethernet, by chance? If so, that may indicate an odd issue with wireless clients on the network.

Also, what error message - if any - do the Wii U and 3DS XL display when trying to connect to Ninfora? Do they keep trying to load the page but nothing happens? Do they error out entirely?

No, I don't think it is.  We only have this one PC, and despite my sister having a PC in her room she only just put it in awhile ago and it runs separately from this one.  We have our internet hooked up through a Broadband connection and we have a modem and router connected to it. 

Also the error I got on the Wii U/3DS XL browser displayed a white page, with an error code that reads "Error Code: 112-1035 Could not display page."  Every time I try to reload the same thing shows up.

Just now, Kodiack said:

Just Googled the 1035 error. Came across this:

https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fangamer/BugsAndFeatures/Can-t-access-forum-from-my-Wii-U-but-I-can-access-just-fine-on-my-laptop

Ugh, looks like Nintendo doesn't support modern certificates in their browsers. Fantastic. :\ Will need to figure out what to do with this one. May take a day or two.

So do you think that could be the issue then?  If it is, at least we may have found the culprit.  Would be great if you can figure out what to do to help us regain access to this site on those devices since I use them pretty often for browsing experiences.  I can certainly take as long as it needs to allow the time it takes to figure out and fix whatever's going on. 

Sorry to be a bother, Kodi. ^^;

21 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Hmm, interesting. Is this happening on a Wii U or 3DS?

A new 3ds. I'm testing on my older model too to see if the error shows up there as well.

And it's definitely that connection issue you mentioned. Came across this one on my older one: Error code -- 012-1004 -- SSL connection failed.

Going to check on my Vita next.

It works ok on there (and I had this posted originally here -- and it disappeared lol).

Edited by Lance's Dragonite

Yeah, the issue is basically that Nintendo's web browsers are very poor and don't support modern encryption at all. If you visit a site with a SHA-1 certificate in Chrome or Firefox, your browser will complain and whine.

Not sure what to do here. Downgrading the certificates is not an option, and having to go through the hassle of having either a separate, less-secure or wholly insecure sub-domain for the sake of Wii U/3DS compatibility is insanity.

Might need to find a way to complain to Nintendo about this one. That's godawful, and more and more sites will be inaccessible on Wii U/3DS devices until the point that Nintendo finally supports newer certificates.

Really frustrated here. I can't believe how poor Nintendo's browser support is. Their web browsers have always been pretty bad, but nearing the end of 2016, this takes it to a whole new level.

2 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Yeah, the issue is basically that Nintendo's web browsers are very poor and don't support modern encryption at all. If you visit a site with a SHA-1 certificate in Chrome or Firefox, your browser will complain and whine.

Not sure what to do here. Downgrading the certificates is not an option, and having to go through the hassle of having either a separate, less-secure or wholly insecure sub-domain for the sake of Wii U/3DS compatibility is insanity.

Might need to find a way to complain to Nintendo about this one. That's godawful, and more and more sites will be inaccessible on Wii U/3DS devices until the point that Nintendo finally supports newer certificates.

Really frustrated here. I can't believe how poor Nintendo's browser support is. Their web browsers have always been pretty bad, but nearing the end of 2016, this takes it to a whole new level.

Definitely. The irony, is that I hardly even use my Vita's. It's a bit un user friendly. Nintendo's works a bit better. I hope that they step up here.

I certainly wouldn't ask you to downgrade the entire forum for a minority like myself; that's both selfish and unreasonable.  Nintendo's Wii U browser was certainly a step up from the Wii's browser but I still run into compatibility issues with it every so often.  I'm not even sure if you were to issue a complaint with Nintendo that they'd care very much; they'd probably consider it outdated at this point and send you a very generic lower-management response. 

Ugh, still though, this sucks.  A lot...

I'm going to put up a poll to gauge the importance later, but I'll just quickly ask here for now: How many people actively use a Wii U and/or 3DS to browse Ninfora? This issue isn't going to be fun to fix, and a naive workaround would mean lowering the security for everyone else on the forum.

This is an issue that I would personally very much like to leave as-is if it will not affect many people. Nintendo's lack of support for modern SSL certificates is inexcusable, and I will be going out of my way to complain about this directly to Nintendo in hopes of a possible resolution on their end.

Supporting Nintendo's browser would be like developing for Internet Explorer in Ye Days of Olde. It's possible, but it's ugly, and preferably avoided if at all possible.

2 minutes ago, Bowser81889 said:

Ugh, still though, this sucks.  A lot...

You can say that again. This is probably the most absurd browser-related issue I've seen in several years. :P

Will need to talk with you some more when I get a chance, Bowser81889. Thanks for bringing this issue to light regardless. Opens my eyes to an issue that I never would have thought existed.

For me personally, I would rather have the security of SSL encryption on Ninfora than being able to browse on my Nintendo 3DS or Wii U, because I don't do any serious browsing on those anymore, especially since I already have other ways to browse on a mobile device (my phone and PS Vita, which both work perfectly fine).

Hopefully, even if Nintendo doesn't update their Internet Browser applications on their current systems, NX will address the issue.

8 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

You can say that again. This is probably the most absurd browser-related issue I've seen in several years. :P

Will need to talk with you some more when I get a chance, Bowser81889. Thanks for bringing this issue to light regardless. Opens my eyes to an issue that I never would have thought existed.

It sure is, and I'm glad I was able to bring this to your attention despite how it may seem I'm probably in the very low minority experiencing this issue as far as who uses those browsers for main access to Ninfora and all the internet, really.  Again I wouldn't ask you to compromise the security of the entire forum for the sake of someone like myself, even if in the end it would probably mean me not being very active on this forum in that case except for the few times I can get on my PC like I'm on right now.

Speaking of that question you posed, yeah, I'm definitely one who uses the Wii U/New 3DS XL browsers most for Ninfora and internet browsing as a whole.  I really hope this can be fixed somehow.

And sure Kodi, just say the word whenever you want to get in touch with me about this and I'll be happy to see what I can do to assist as far as giving you any information you need on my end goes.  I'll follow you on Twitter so you can contact me at any time if I'm somehow not around on this forum to do so.  My handle there is UltraSonic737.

Edited by Bowser81889
6 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

I'm going to put up a poll to gauge the importance later, but I'll just quickly ask here for now: How many people actively use a Wii U and/or 3DS to browse Ninfora? This issue isn't going to be fun to fix, and a naive workaround would mean lowering the security for everyone else on the forum.

This is an issue that I would personally very much like to leave as-is if it will not affect many people. Nintendo's lack of support for modern SSL certificates is inexcusable, and I will be going out of my way to complain about this directly to Nintendo in hopes of a possible resolution on their end.

Supporting Nintendo's browser would be like developing for Internet Explorer in Ye Days of Olde. It's possible, but it's ugly, and preferably avoided if at all possible.

Yea I used my Wii U on NS2 when I had to take my laptop in for virus removal and/or updates and such. So hopefully something can be done here. If not, it's not a big deal, as I can still access the site via my Vita. 

Interesting, Kodiack. I recall you say this forum has some great encryption but who would of knew it would back fire like this on Nintendo browser, no it's more accurate to stay this couldn't be helped when it comes today standards of security vs Nintendo standards.

Though you make it sound like it may take awhile but may not be worth if you have to change certificates just for this platform. As much I appreciate the thought to work around this and have the patience too, this sucks cause if that's someone ideal way to access here then they're out of luck.

I was first thinking this would get in my way of watching Nintendo Directs and post here at the same time on Wii U but I was mistaken. Just do what you can and if its not worth you probably have to drop it.

And to be honest I always though Nintendo browsers especially the Wii U was better than the PS4 and Xbox One but maybe I was mistaken on that too.

Oh, the error-code I get on the Wii U is 112-1035. All these errors end in 1035 but I get the same 032-1035 on my ND3SXL too. I can view the site fine on my phone no errors but I knew that for a while now.

I'm down for the poll importance browser on 3DS/Wii U, for me personally like I said, I normally on the Wii U for direct viewing and on my laptop for actually posting in real-time as I watch on my TV.