Nerd Central (you're a nerd too, sarah) - N4A Chat Thread, April 2017

9 minutes ago, Gravitas said:

Are you sure that there's no way to convince her to listen to reason? How does she reconcile her beliefs with the fact that there is so much goddamn visible evidence that the Earth is, in fact, round?

She just said she wasn't in the mood to discuss it, and the tone suggested that probably isn't going to change.
I can deal with something like religious differences because at least I understand it, but that level of science denial is too much. 
It's like when I found friends I hadn't talked to in a while became openly racist trumpbots.
Except I'm even more blindsided because it's somebody who was clearly rational and intelligent in the past, a good friend, plus mutual interest recently (and I generally have absolutely zero romantic prospects). 
I'm not gonna immediately cut her off or some shit, but I'm not seeing how I can respect her at this point. I can only expect the vaccine-autism, chemtrail, climate change denial shit next.

Edited by Pichi
8 minutes ago, Pichi said:

She just said she wasn't in the mood to discuss it, and the tone suggested that probably isn't going to change.
I can deal with something like religious differences because at least I understand it, but that level of science denial is too much. 
It's like when I found friends I hadn't talked to in a while became openly racist trumpbots.
Except I'm even more blindsided because it's somebody who was clearly rational and intelligent in the past, a good friend, plus mutual interest recently (and I generally have absolutely zero romantic prospects). 
I'm not gonna immediately cut her off or some shit, but I'm not seeing how I can respect her at this point. I can only expect the vaccine-autism, chemtrail, climate change denial shit next.

Well that sucks. :( Hopefully things get better in the future, even if it doesn't seem like they will.

33 minutes ago, Pichi said:

a girl I've been into recently and have been friends with for a year just revealed she was a flat earther
refused to talk about it and linked a documentary instead.

i'm just sitting here like

17201284_1bd44.jpg

Does she believe in the ice wall

I love flat earth shit, it's so great

3 minutes ago, nornir said:

Oh and the sun is really tiny and close, not really big and far away

And some people think the moon is a hologram

Why would NASA try and fake the sun's size and distance? I can at least understand the moon landing conspiracy nuts, but what would NASA's rationale be for the sun coverup?