[Switch] Lego City Undercover - Internet required + 13GB download?

If anyone is planning to pick up Lego City Undercover on Switch, it looks like it might require an internet connection and a 13GB download...

Link: http://gonintendo.com/stories/276876-lego-city-undercover-retail-packaging-says-internet-connection-re

I don't see why this game would require you to be connected to the internet. Maybe it means for the needed 13GB download? If it does need an internet connection to play, good luck playing it on the go. :(  As for the 13GB download, I wonder if this is needed to help things load faster, like with Xenoblade Chronicles X? Though for the physical, version could it have not been included on the card? If so did they cheep out and not put that game on a higher complicity card? It's odd that the eShop says the game is only 7GBs. Maybe this info was posed before the required 13GB download was known?

Just wanted to point something out that there's something similar on the back on Bomberman. Those that have the physical copy can check this too. "Up to 300 KB storage required for game download. Storage requirements may change. etc. etc."

Mainly surprised no one has brought that up yet or that the launch update for the game was over 200 MB.

Although, I'm sure if the Internet Required is there for Switch, that means it's also there for the other platforms as well.

Carts are more expensive than discs (let's call this Switch Tax for simplicity). Larger carts are more expensive to make, meaning larger Switch Tax. Developers want to keep price parity between version and avoid going with larger carts, therefore avoiding the Switch Tax. But what happens when your game is so large that using the proper cart size is going to be really expensive? How do you avoid the Switch Tax?

Simple: Press your game to the minimum size cart that is affordable to you and to the consumer. Then have the user download the rest to the humongous 32 gigs of internal memory. 

Switch Tax avoided. Hope you like cleaning out your fridge often going forward.

Edited by Punchy
36 minutes ago, Punchy said:

Switch Tax avoided. Hope you like cleaning out your fridge often going forward.

Looks like we won't have to.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/276908-players-do-not-need-to-pre-download-anything-to-play-lego-city-un

Yesterday, the picture of the boxart of the Nintendo Switch version of Lego City Undercover was shown. In a previous article, we noted some odd information that the box had provided. According to the box, players needed at least 13 GB of storage in order to play the game, despite the game being a physical cartridge and only being 7 GB large. Warner Bros. has now come out with the following statement:

Players who purchase Lego City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play.

Although this statement verifies that the game can be played without any prior downloads, there is still confusion as to why this message is even on the box at all. Either way, players can rest assured knowing the game can now be played with relative ease.

So that begs the question. What is the message for? It also begs another question that I brought up with Bomberman that no one looked into.

A simple mistake on the packaging design, then? Or is this a clue that there will be DLC in the future? It'd be kind of crazy to have DLC that is twice the size of the game itself, but I guess it's possible. Or–and I'm being super persnickety about the wording here–are they saying that the 13GB download is optional (do not need to download it), and it's meant to make the game run more smoothly, like the downloads for Xenoblade Chronicles X? I thought part of the benefit of a cartridge over a disc is faster load times anyway, but I admit I don't know much about those technical aspects.

3 hours ago, The Krazy One said:

Looks like we won't have to.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/276908-players-do-not-need-to-pre-download-anything-to-play-lego-city-un

So that begs the question. What is the message for? It also begs another question that I brought up with Bomberman that no one looked into.

The game on the WiiU is ~20 gigs. Cart is 7 gigs + 13 for download = 20 gigs. Even with the best compression I have a hard time believing you can compress 20 gigs of data down to 7.

3 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

A simple mistake on the packaging design, then? Or is this a clue that there will be DLC in the future? It'd be kind of crazy to have DLC that is twice the size of the game itself, but I guess it's possible. Or–and I'm being super persnickety about the wording here–are they saying that the 13GB download is optional (do not need to download it), and it's meant to make the game run more smoothly, like the downloads for Xenoblade Chronicles X? I thought part of the benefit of a cartridge over a disc is faster load times anyway, but I admit I don't know much about those technical aspects.

Honestly, I wonder how the game was optimized in the first place for it to have the load times it had on Wii U.  But that aside, hopefully it was just a mistake since the confusion wasn't really helping anyone looking into this game for Switch.  Still makes me wonder if they're still telling the whole story on it though.

After rummaging through the news, it still confuses me somewhat. Like what is that 13GB for? If it is for speeding up loading times (from a card? wondering what's the bottleneck.), I think I've seen one game, I think on the X360, that would partially install the game onto the hard drive, and it would load from the DVD and hard drive in tandem when you play the game, thus speeding up load times that way.

Not to mention, the card can hold more than 20GB. (pricing aside).

6 hours ago, Punchy said:

The game on the WiiU is ~20 gigs. Cart is 7 gigs + 13 for download = 20 gigs. Even with the best compression I have a hard time believing you can compress 20 gigs of data down to 7.

If an indie company like Shin'en can get a game like Fast Racing League on Wiiware (at the 40 MB limit), I wouldn't be surprised at what a non-indie would be able to do. You might have missed the article I linked to and the same article I posted as a quote.

Update- Coming straight from Warner Bros.:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/276983-warner-bros-says-download-internet-info-on-lego-city-undercover

"The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of LEGO City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience. An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch."

Looks like we have the final update on the situation, and it's the best possible outcome. All the fuss was over nothing, which I'm very happy to see. Let's get back to being excited for this game!

So an "Internet Connection" is not required and you don't have to download anything to play the game, unless you got the digital version of the game in which you'd have to download the game. The only "download" I could think would happen would be the usual Day One patch if there is one. But yeah, everything is laid out and there shouldn't be any more problems.

5 hours ago, The Krazy One said:

If an indie company like Shin'en can get a game like Fast Racing League on Wiiware (at the 40 MB limit), I wouldn't be surprised at what a non-indie would be able to do.

That's hardly an apples to apples comparison there. A racing game VS an open-world game.

That said, didn't anyone at WB stop and look at the first batch of printed covers and say... "Hold on!"