Shin Megami Tensei/Persona thread

Juanblue85

Hi and welcome to the dark series that is Shin Megami Tensei and Persona game series. 

v5wZf1m.jpg

1st Row, from left to right:
- Akemi Nakajima from Megami Tensei 
- Protagonist from Megami Tensei II 
- Sho / Kazuya / Futsuo from Shin Megami Tensei I 
- Aleph from Shin Megami Tensei II 
- Hito-Shura / Demi-Fiend / Naoki Kashima / Shin Managi from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne 
- Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei IV 
- Nanashi from Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
- Tamaki Uchida (Male) from Shin Megami Tensei: if...
- Tamaki Uchida (Female) from Shin Megami Tensei: if...
- Ideo Hazama from Shin Megami Tensei: if... Hazama's Chapter

2nd Row, from left to right:
- Kei Azuma (Male) from Shin Megami Tensei NINE
- Kei Azuma (Female) from Shin Megami Tensei NINE
- Protagonist from Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
- Serph from Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner
- Protagonist / Atsuya Tsuzuki from Majin Tensei
- Naoki Takeuchi from Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis
- Asuka Miroku from Ronde
- Protagonist from Devil Summoner
- Keiji Minegishi from Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker
- Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV / Jouhei from Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha

3rd Row, from left to right:
- Naoya Toudou from Persona 1 
- Tatsuya Suou from Persona 2: Innocent Sin 
- Maya Amano from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment 
- Minato Arisato / Makoto Yuki / Sakuya Shiomi from Persona 3 
- Minako Arisato / Kotone Shiomi / Hamuko from Persona 3 Portable 
- Aigis from Persona 3 FES 
- Souji Seta / Yu Narukami from Persona 4
- Akira Kurusu / The Phantom from Persona 5
- Shin Kanzato from Persona: Trinity Soul 
- Vincent Brooks from Catherine 

4th row, from left to right:
- Mirai Kaname from Devil Children Red Book
- Setsuna Kai from Devil Children Black Book
- Masaki Kuzuha from Devil Children White Book
- Jin from DemiKids Light Version
- Akira from DemiKids Dark Version
- Kazuya Minegishi from Devil Survivor 
- Hiro Kageyama / Hibiki Kuze from Devil Survivor 2
- Derek Stiles from Trauma Center: Under the Knife 
- Markus Vaughn from Trauma Center: New Blood 
- CR-S01 from Trauma Team

So I didn't know much about the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona series until I one day when I was reading a gaming magazine I think it was Game Informer at the time where they had a small article about Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It was the first time I had seen a rated M for Mature JRPG that intrigued me as well so I decided to follow any news about it and it just got that much more interesting and it finally released in the USA in 2004. I got to play it and it was amazing (kicked my butt though) and still is to this day. After that I also got the Digital Devil Saga duology which while different had a good story going for it but still had that awesome battle system from Nocturne then there was a pause for a time until I heard of Persona 3 which was different but still had the Press Turn from Nocturne in its own way and it got me very hooked as well from the story to the activities that I could do in the day time like school or being out at the mall and stuff. I have since been an Atlus loyal fan and have bought quite a number of their games. 

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2 & PSN), Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (PS2 & PSN), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. Soulless Army & King Abaddon (PS2 & PSN), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 & 2 (DS which I later sold in favor of 3DS versions), Persona 3, FES, Portable (PS2, PSP & PSN), Persona 4, Golden (PS2, PSN & PSVita) and upcoming Persona 5 (PS3 & PS4 CE), Trauma Center: New Blood (Wii), Trauma Team (Wii), Catherine (X360).

Edited by Juanblue85
14 minutes ago, Jun The Bob-Omb Ace said:

The game got released right at the time Pokémon's Gen 3 came out and SMT was obscure at the time. It didn't had a chance. :s

ah I see dang I was still in PKMN fever at the time so it just went by me. I'll try to see if I score one of the games later on at least. 

4 hours ago, Jun The Bob-Omb Ace said:

Speaking of missed game, did you know SMT had a MMO game called Imagine?

Imagine still exists in Japan. It had some cool music, but I remember the game feeling very janky. IIRC, it was filled with random, instanced dungeons more in the style of Diablo than normal MMOs, and demon summoning was very different from any of the other games. That said, I've yet to find an MMO I really enjoy, and I probably tried it out around the time only the power players were left. If it were still around, I'd try it again just to see if I had a different opinion.

Yeah, I played it for a while. It felt extremely tedious in pretty much all regards. Even by MMO standards. Just felt like a hassle to play. Game mechanics also didn't feel particularly well explained. For example, I don't recall there really being "classes" like in a typical MMO, but more of a typical SMT style system where you just built up a character with skills. But then that fell into a rut where you basically had to commit to doing thins one particular way or get fucked.

I'm enjoying Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 so far. I like how battles are set up for the most part. Just working on leveling up my team right now though as I was not ready for a battle I tried once. One or more of the bad guys was lv. 17 and I... was not. anhero;  Thankfully I saved before hand and was able to continue from the earlier save.

48 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

I'm enjoying Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 so far. I like how battles are set up for the most part. Just working on leveling up my team right now though as I was not ready for a battle I tried once. One or more of the bad guys was lv. 17 and I... was not. anhero;  Thankfully I saved before hand and was able to continue from the earlier save.

I think the original Devil Survivor was my first MegaTen game. First time through is really tough, but once you figure out the strategy, the main game is very easy. My second run through (via Overclocked) had me two shotting late game bosses. Excellent SRPG, and I feel it better accomplishes what Persona 3 and 4 tried to do with social links in its scheduled cutscene system.

8 hours ago, Neonocyte said:

I think the original Devil Survivor was my first MegaTen game. First time through is really tough, but once you figure out the strategy, the main game is very easy. My second run through (via Overclocked) had me two shotting late game bosses. Excellent SRPG, and I feel it better accomplishes what Persona 3 and 4 tried to do with social links in its scheduled cutscene system.

Yea that's me too. Once I got some of the strategy down, it's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, electrifuzz said:

A guy is selling the first remake at my school for $15 along with some other 3ds games so maybe I'll pick it up!

Nice price but yes get that one and the sequel for 3DS. I had the first two on DS then sold them for the improved 3DS versions. I only managed to get the first remake and just waiting for some spare cash to get the sequel which is still a bit pricey.

1 hour ago, electrifuzz said:

A guy is selling the first remake at my school for $15 along with some other 3ds games so maybe I'll pick it up!

Good price, and a very good game. Second one had some gameplay improvements, but I'd argue the first one is still better due to story and level design. That said, if you do get the second game, get the remake, as it contains a second story that I hear is as lengthy as any of the original releases.

20 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

Nice price but yes get that one and the sequel for 3DS. I had the first two on DS then sold them for the improved 3DS versions. I only managed to get the first remake and just waiting for some spare cash to get the sequel which is still a bit pricey.

10 minutes ago, Neonocyte said:

Good price, and a very good game. Second one had some gameplay improvements, but I'd argue the first one is still better due to story and level design. That said, if you do get the second game, get the remake, as it contains a second story that I hear is as lengthy as any of the original releases.

Thanks guys! Messaged him now!

• 1 month later...

Got some sad news. Persona 5 has been delayed to April 4th, 2016 for NA but the good news is that Japanese VO will be included as DLC. At least this gives my wallet a breather from the early 2017 releases I want.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/16/persona-5-launching-april-4-2017-will-feature-dual-audio-on-ps4-and-ps3/

Edited by Juanblue85

I didn't know much about the Persona Series either until 2 weeks ago.  I was in Game Stop and they still have a pretty decent selection of PS Vita titles.  I have heard nothing but amazing things about Persona 4 Golden, that it is the game to own if you have a PS Vita or a PSTV.  I bought a PSTV about a year ago for $30 brand new.  It hasn't really been touched a whole lot and I have never bought anything for it.  I bought Persona 4 Golden on an impulse and I don't regret it at all.  Game is fucking amazing and its making me really want to play 5 when it gets released in April.  I still have aways to go with Persona 4 Golden (I am about 29 hours in right now) but its an amazing game.