Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Square Enix Titles Thread

Juanblue85

With the PS4 Pro coming out tomorrow a number of Square Enix/Eidos titles have been updated to take advantage of the extra power it has. 

Rise of the Tomb Raider

World of Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy XV

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue

and more coming. 

Now since I have a new 4K TV coming with HDR support I'll maybe consider getting a Pro next year likely after the Switch releases.

• 2 weeks later...

FFXV is now out in stores, got my digital premium edition last weekend downloaded and only played for about an hour last night before I stopped. Really having fun so far and while some people claim there is blurriness in their game I have not seen any w/ mine and I only have a 32 inch TV(I wish I could have gotten a bigger TV from Black Friday but maybe next year if I can get another job and money saved up).

The temptation to buy a PS4 so I can play XV is so great... What does everyone think the chances of XV and/or VII Remake coming to the Switch are? I'm leaning towards no for XV and a solid maybe for VIIR. I guess we might find out in January.

Edited by subrosian
On 10/27/2016 at 0:18 AM, SatoshiKyu said:

I look at all these people with good taste posting their favorite FFs and I'm just sitting here feeling like some kind of dirty heathen. 

XIII: Lightning Returns is my favorite FF game

Now that I got that off my chest, time to consider ritual suicide for having shit taste

I actually really enjoyed Lightning Returns. I had no high hopes for it after XIII-2 being a major let down for me but I thought the game was pretty much as good as it could be in terms of the story that it was left to work with and I loved the combat system, which really made the game for me. I think I ended up playing it through 3 times, first time on Normal, then twice on Hard cuz I ended up fucking up on my first play through and forgetting to kill some of the Last One enemies in the final area so I couldn't finish the mission for that one guy on my 2nd play through, lol. Then on my 3rd play through, even though I'd completed every mission after going back to guy in the desert, I figured wtf, I'll go ahead and finish it again.

I got FFXV in the mail from Amazon today. Got the Deluxe Edition and gonna watch Kingsglaive before I play the game. I haven't watched it yet but I wasn't gonna play FFXV until tomorrow anyway cuz of that fuckin 9.4 GB update taking till tomorrow to finish with my slow ass internet. Hopefully it's gonna be fun.

I never played the FFXIII Trilogy though I tried the first from renting through Gamefly but the combat in FFXV is pretty smooth(to me at least) and from reading on Gamefaqs some that liked the XIII games love XV and some that didn't care for XIII love XV. Will need to play the game to the end before I decide if this takes over as my favorite FF though since FFVI is part of my childhood it will be tough to beat considering the party size and compare it to FFXV. Right now I have Japanese audio and English text which is enjoyable but I have to make sure I pay attention to know what they are saying so I might switch to English audio to see if I can stand the voices. Also had no idea that co-op will be added through the last released DLC which is included in the season pass.

On 11/13/2016 at 2:05 AM, Lina Inverse said:

Is anybody going to get Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age when it comes out next year?

It's the most essential game purchase of 2017 for me.

I mean, Breath of the Wild will be as much of an event for me as anyone else, but Final Fantasy XII was (and possibly still is) my favourite game for the longest time, so there you go. :P

Story-related spoilers for Final Fantasy XV:

Spoiler

This afternoon I watched a 5.5 hour video on all the story-related cutscenes, ending and all. I won't really have the money to buy a PS4 and the game in the foreseeable future, and even if I did, I just don't have the time/interest to sit down and play games these days. I'm kind of glad I did so. The game's first half is the road-trip, while the latter half is dungeon-traversing story times. Narrative wise, it kind of makes sense. You're probably not in the mood to go have fun with your bros after seeing the love of your life die. But my fears were validated in that Final Fantasy XV fails to offer variety in location. Most FF games have all the bases covered in locations: grasslands, caves, volcanoes, deserts, space, towers and sacred temples, steam-punk factories, etc. Final Fantasy XV gives you the outdoors, some tombs, two or three cities, a train, and a few bigger cities you can't fully explore. With that in mind, much of the game seems to be intended for a limited experience. The sphere-grid like growth system from Final Fantasy X makes a return, but in a much smaller scope. Even the trophy list is almost entirely comprised of story-related achievements. Monster Arena, this is not. A limited experience isn't inherently bad. Otherwise we have something like Dragon Quest VII that overstays its welcome 80 hours ago.

Final Fantasy XV looks to be a solid game, but it doesn't hit every note we've come to expect from the series.

3 hours ago, JanusDS said:

I actually really enjoyed Lightning Returns. I had no high hopes for it after XIII-2 being a major let down for me but I thought the game was pretty much as good as it could be in terms of the story that it was left to work with and I loved the combat system, which really made the game for me. I think I ended up playing it through 3 times, first time on Normal, then twice on Hard cuz I ended up fucking up on my first play through and forgetting to kill some of the Last One enemies in the final area so I couldn't finish the mission for that one guy on my 2nd play through, lol. Then on my 3rd play through, even though I'd completed every mission after going back to guy in the desert, I figured wtf, I'll go ahead and finish it again.

Is XIII-2 an essential prerequisite to playing Lightning Returns? I'm mildly interested in LR after hearing generally positive things–at least, that it's better than XIII–but I'm not sure if I want to sit through XIII-2 after the slog that was XIII. Would jumping from XIII to LR be too confusing?

1 minute ago, Eliwood8 said:

Is XIII-2 an essential prerequisite to playing Lightning Returns? I'm mildly interested in LR after hearing generally positive things–at least, that it's better than XIII–but I'm not sure if I want to sit through XIII-2 after the slog that was XIII. Would jumping from XIII to LR be too confusing?

Yes.

XIII-2 has an odd (at best) narrative, but it's far less linear, if it's any consolation.

6 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

The story does follow directly from XIII-2's story so in that regard, it probably would be best to play it first as you will definitely come into LR understanding what's going on a lot better. That being said, the story for XIII-2 was a complete mess. It was fairly compelling for the first half to 2/3's of the game when you're still trying to piece together what's really going on. But then once that's revealed, most characters seem like fucking idiots. Well, except for one character but even that character's actions to achieve their motivations barely make sense.

Both games are a lot less linear than XIII but XIII-2 is essentially the exact same combat system as XIII. They made some additions to the combat system in XIII-2 that would have been fun to play around with IF the game wasn't so damn easy that there was no motivation to really mess with them much. There are 2 difficulties for XIII-2, Easy and Normal, and having never played it on Easy, I would label Normal as "Very Easy" even when compared to your average FF game, which isn't that difficult. And I mean that including defeating ALL enemies, Super Bosses included. Also there is the monster capture and development feature, which is again something that would have been a lot more fun if the game wasn't so easy. It does start out pretty fun earlier in the game as far as deciding what monsters you want to use in various roles and paradigms but not too far in the game, I found monsters that I liked that I was able to keep developing until the end game and have them stay very much viable so there wasn't much motivation to experiment after that, even though I still tried some.

All that being said, I think LR definitely has the most engaging gameplay out of the trilogy and as I said in the previous post, I think the story is about as good as it could be given the shit pile mess that XIII-2 left, lol. However, even though there are flashbacks to scenes from XIII-2, from a story perspective, I would recommend playing XIII-2 first because otherwise, you're going to be scratching your head quite a bit throughout a good portion of LR jumping straight from XIII to LR. Plus the soundtrack to XIII-2 is pretty good, at least imo, if that's any consolation. :P

On 11/13/2016 at 4:05 AM, Lina Inverse said:

Is anybody going to get Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age when it comes out next year?

I am very much looking forward to and definitely planning on getting it. I'm not sure if I'll get it day 1 or not but I will definitely get it sometime during the year. I never really played through much of it on PS2 just cuz I was so busy when the game originally released that I really wasn't playing much video games at all. I played just a little bit of it and enjoyed it and have heard a lot of good things about it but just never got back to it along with a lot of other PS2 games that I still want to play. Like a lot of those other games though, it looks like I won't actually get to it until the remaster, lol.