Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Square Enix Titles Thread

Juanblue85

Hello and welcome to the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Square Enix thread where we can discuss all things from the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Square Enix series from the main games, spin offs, merchandise and what not. 

gsxCiR8.png

20150618_102528.png

20150904051228a0e6x33pp58lr5u7.jpg

A bit about why I like the series:

I only knew a little of Final Fantasy when I was young and practically missed all the hubbub about FFVII when it was huge back then (I had about Legend of Dragoon instead at the time) and the only time I got into the series was a high school buddy of mine who I haven't seen or heard from for a long time now introduced me to the guide of the game and I was mesmerized how good the game looked from the characters to the monsters and bosses to boot. My parents got me a PS2 later on after it launched as well as the game which they got used and stopped a little after the battle with the first boss of the game so I had to send it back and ask them to get a brand new copy instead. I was really deep into the series then and after that I was able to get FFVII and FFVIII for PS1 to play on my PS2. VII while it showed age to me was still very enjoyable and I didn't like VIII too much for some reason but I ended up getting it again later on PC via Steam in fact I own almost all the main line FF games on Steam (III, IV, IV: The After Years, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X & X-2, XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns I'm surprised I and II aren't on PC yet and I know XII and XV will come at some point.) Anyways as of now I'm still a fan of the series and sadly I'm rather very cautious of FFXV (originally Versus XIII) since it has seen many changes and delays so I don't know if it'll be that good plus after the two demos I have played and also footage I have seen well it just doesn't seem as interesting or fun to me. Sure graphically the game looks great but with all that action happening it'll take time for me to get adjusted to it as it took me a while to get used to XIII with at least the sequel being a better improvement but the story for that went all over the place. I'm definitely interested in that World of Final Fantasy game but still not used to the super chibi look as I prefer the Theatrhythm FF look better.

As for Kingdom Hearts when I saw the article about the first game many years ago I was very intrigued and followed it closely until I bought it for PS2. I had a blast with it and so I also tried out the sequel Kingdom Hearts II later on which was also great to me at least but I didn't like the card based battles too much from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and never did play Kingdom Hearts: Coded or Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep which so far seems to be the best one yet. I should definitely try to fetch the remasters that have recently come to PS4 such as Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and Kingdom Hearts I.5 and II.5. 

For Square titles over I didn't even get the chance to play any Square titles until well in the millenium when FFX came out after that I tried of their works some even not FF related like The Bouncer, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and many others that I can't remember all of them.

EDIT: This thread was originally in the old Nsider2 site so I decided to bring it over here to Ninfora so we can continue to discuss it.

Edited by Juanblue85

Just re posting what I posted on NS2.

My first FF is 10 (PS2). I got that and 11 for the PS2 via a local used game store. Then I got the remastered Vita versions and have been hooked since then.

I also have:

FF V (which I just got in the recent flash sale) (Vita)
FF VI (Vita)
FF VII (Vita)
FF VIII (Vita)
FF IX (Vita)
FF Tactics (which I just got in the recent flash sale) (Vita)
FF Crystal Chronicles (got that used some years back) (GC)
FF XIII-2 (got that used some time back) (PS3)

Still need to get:

FF (Vita)
FF II (Vita)
FF III (Vita)
FF IV (Vita)

Hoping that they come on sale some day again so I can snap them up.

I like the series so far, but the saving system in VII and V is rather awkward. I have the Vita port.

Edited by Lance's Dragonite

I've played just about all the main series' titles with the exception of XI, XIV and Lightning Returns(on the hunt for it),

I still have to beat Final Fantasy II.

Edit: I mean there's also obviously XV, but that's not even out yet so you can't fault me for not playing it. :P

20 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

I still need to play a Final Fantasy game.  It's one of the few series I've never touched.

Either going to start with IV, VI, or VII.  I've heard IV and VI are good, and VII is VII.

I would also recommend V in addition to those, but that's just me.

Edited by Sun
17 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

I'm still hesitant to buy FFXV on release day like I did the other Final Fantasy games. I'll just wait and see when the people get it on their hands and see their opinions about it. so far from the two demos I have played I didn't like it at all. 

What didn't you like about it?

What are your guys thoughts about World of Final Fantasy? It looks like it'll be pretty good so far.

34 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

What didn't you like about it?

What are your guys thoughts about World of Final Fantasy? It looks like it'll be pretty good so far.

Well for me so far its getting used to the new controls since there is quite to learn from them and so far I since this game has been delayed and has seen some big changes I'm rather weary of buying it day one. I bought XIII day one and was disappointed with it so I'm hoping not to get burned again as for World of Final Fantasy hmm I haven't been following it too much since the super chibi characters rather turn me off but I'll likely give it chance as its turn based and I like turn based games.

14 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

Well for me so far its getting used to the new controls since there is quite to learn from them and so far I since this game has been delayed and has seen some big changes I'm rather weary of buying it day one. I bought XIII day one and was disappointed with it so I'm hoping not to get burned again as for World of Final Fantasy hmm I haven't been following it too much since the super chibi characters rather turn me off but I'll likely give it chance as its turn based and I like turn based games.

Ah I see.

Oh. That doesn't bug me too much. It looks like it'll be pretty creative.

Growing up w/ two older brothers helped me get my start on video games, though I don't know what my first was I recall getting Super Mario Bros. 3 for Christmas though it may not have exactly been mine it turned into my favorite Mario game ever and still is to this day. I know I had played the first FF on NES when I was young but it was pretty hard for my age since I have trouble processing lots of information but Dragon Warrior was more enjoyable to me. Final Fantasy III(VI) was my first true enjoyable experience of the series and has yet to be replaced as my favorite of the series. I am excited for FFXV since I enjoy the Kingdom Hearts series and the combat was fun for me in the demos. The only FF titles I have beaten are FF, FFIII and FFVI but I have played all excluding the MMO ones and the FFXIII trilogy(though I want to try them out at least). FFIX was my last enjoyable of the series and I recently got FFXII(not much time played since I have other games to play right now).

We gonna make a separate thread for this but I saw this and thought... AH!  poifect!  So yeah, I only caught on to this a couple of months back but apparently this guy has done this series for a while now.  Basically he attempts to retell the story of each Final Fantasy game in 60 seconds or less with some fairly hilarious results in many of them.  I'd personally recommend my favorites which are FF IV, V, and VI, though VI is broken up into two parts so technically I guess that one is told in 120 seconds or less.  Nevertheless, give em a watch.  I think the furthest he has gotten up to is FFVIII though.

Final Fantasy

Spoiler

Final Fantasy II

Spoiler

Final Fantasy III

Spoiler

Final Fantasy IV

Spoiler

Final Fantasy V

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VI (PT1)

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VI (PT2)

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VII

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VIII

Spoiler

Anyone else excited for The Zodiac Age? XII is one of my favorites, and I never played the International Job System version, so I'm pretty excited at the prospect of getting to play that in HD. My other favorites are Crystal Chronicles (and to a much lesser degree the DS sequels), Tactics/Tactics Advance/Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, III (the DS one, I'm weird), VI, and VII. I haven't played IV, V, VIII, or IX yet though, even though I own VIII. Any recommendations on which one to play first?

I'm cautiously optimistic for XV and the 2020 release of VII Remake :P I'm really not sure what to think of XV actually... Some of the gameplay looks amazing, and some (the Titan demo at E3??) looks terrible. Either way, I think it'll be interesting.

Edited by subrosian

I'm looking forward to The Zodiac Age as well. I've never played FFXII so it'll be nice to fill that gap in my FF library. I'm also cautiously interested in FFXV, and I've been meaning to give FF Type-0 a try at some point when I'm not so busy with other games.

My favorite FF though–and one of my favorite games of all time–has always been FFVI. I just love everything about it, and I don't understand why more games don't do split-party sections in their games, like the Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower in FFVI. It's nice to have every character feel like they're valuable/useful and not just benchwarming.

Figured I'd revamp and bring over a post I made in a similar thread on NS2.

Well if we're also considering spinoffs I do want to give a shout out to the Crystal Chronicles series, particularly The Crystal Bearers.  Part of me wishes that the original concept for The Crystal Bearers which resembled the other CC games had appeared but I mostly wish they would have found a way to continue the style with what Crystal Bearers actually became but with some polishing up on the formula.  Anyway, definitely one of the more experimental entries in the franchise because of it but I had fun with it.  I still need to give FF Explorers a try although I wish Square Enix would return to the world that the Crystal Chronicles games made up as it really seemed like they were trying to build a cohesive world and history from game to game that could have turned into something more.  But ah, well.

Also, pics of my awesome time with The Crystal Bearers:

Spoiler

2znuvx0.jpg33aqeqt.jpg

2ywy58k.jpgb6zez9.jpg

34i0761.jpg29pvkaq.jpg

Final Fantasy, to me, has literally been XII and XIII. I have X/X-2 HD Remaster, but have never gotten very far in them. It's just harder to get in to for me. I think it has something to do with the way the characters were animated, combined with their voice-overs. A lot of time in the cutscenes is eaten up by awkward animation gyrations. The whole thing feels choppy and unnatural, and with much of the first act of the game being cutscenes, it's just...ugh! I swear, the game would have been a great candidate for a ground-up remake. It's been retextured well, but its age still shows.

But then, we get to XII and it's like, my favourite game ever. Biggest world in Final Fantasy outside of MMO's...and it feels that way. It's interesting. And it's not an overly romantic, Japanesey story, either, falling more in line with grandiose political thrillers. I like that about it. Ivalice itself was a varied and colourful character, and that's all I ever wanted.

XIII was okay, in retrospect. I didn't mind its linearity half as much as most veteran players did. Its more military characters seemed a bit trite to me, considering that I started playing it after I entered the U.S. Army, but it was otherwise an aesthetically appealing game with a shit-ton of content--but not too much content. There was always an end in sight. It became the first and only Final Fantasy game I completed, platinum trophy and all.

I'm passively excited for XV, though, as you can imagine, it's not grabbing me nearly as hard as XII: The Zodiac Age is. I've never played the International Zodiac Job System, so this'll be a new experience for me. Among the things I'm really looking forward to is its remastered soundtrack. It used to sound so compressed on the PS2; now, it sounds almost as awesome as the Halo 5: Guardians soundtrack selection that was released on Blu-ray: fucking glorious.

Edited by Schmengland