Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct 8.31.23 7amPT/10am ET

Well look at that we have SMBW direct at the end of this month! (less than a week from Nintendo's announcement of Charles Martinet becoming a Mario ambassador)

It is 15 minutes in length so decent display of the game but not too big.

Probably going over the mechanics (whatever story), any online features and...that's about all I can think of.

I don't this direct has anything to do with the vid Miyamoto and Charles were gonna share, it's possible but what's definitely not happening in this Direct is who is the new voice of Mario. Nintendo said we will find out at the game credits.

Also, it has been swirling like usual for a early September Direct, last weekend. Yesterday, it got around there could be one this week, This must be this Direct.

Sometimes when you wish hard enough you get a Direct but not the you were probably expecting, lol.

Edited by DLurkster

Interesting that SMBW is getting its own direct instead of being a part of a general direct.

I do wonder (no pun intended) if they will mention anything about Martinet not voicing Mario & Co....? It's odd they just put up a statement on social media, with no real explanation. Though, it seems like they many have done this to not overshadow any announcements in a direct, whether it be a general direct or Mario game specific direct. It seems like a DIrect would be the best place of this, given how many people tune-in to these. Though, they could just put out a seperate video on YouTube and what not, and announce it ahead of time. They did say a video with Martinet and Miyamoto on this is coming at a later date, though we don't know where or when.

Edited by alienboyva

@alienboyva: Yes.

I am sure this is Nintendo's usual miscommunication that less than a week ago we get the new Charles is not voicing Super Mario anymore. And it that same tweet they say look forward to a future vid featuring Charles and Miyamoto.

I don't think this specific direct is that Miyamoto and Charles Vid. They could show in the direct but not about the new of being a Mario Ambassador. And like you said, for all we know this news segment could should up in the September Direct or it is lone video from either of these. I'm leaning on the latter but way I am fine in whatever from this news of them take.

Back to this SMBW Direct, looking forward to what they may show off. As I said, we're definitely not seeing who this new VA for Super Mario in this Direct, that would just be strange to me to ppl dismay they might expect something strange like that to happen, not a chance. 

Looking forward to this

Curious on how much new info we’ll get out of it?  Hopefully covering the new mechanics and power ups, at the very least i expect

Maybe side modes and hopefully online like 3D World?

Maybe the possibility new Wonder themed Amiibo…? Not sure how likely, but small sliver of possibility…

Though, I mildly derped because i thought it was this morning and not tomorrow - guess I remembered wrong😅

So Toad is weird as an Elephant.

Online features are pretty cool.

And the narrator nailed saying Daisy's name like one should.

Story: Bowser breaks in on visit to this Kingdom, touches power-up mcguffin and you gotta stop him. The End.

I can't believe I am saying this for a Mario game, (but knew this would be a great game) 10/10 Mario Direct.

Really looking forward this game even more. I haven't even touched on the new power ups either. (one seem like a rehash from SMG 2, you know when you'll see it)

Only thing that kind of bums me about the game is having some abilities as badges instead of official power ups,with a lot of the ones shown, they feel like full power ups.  

I have to say though, the three main new ones have some really cool abilities. 

That vine badge looks legit!

4 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Only thing that kind of bums me about the game is having some abilities as badges instead of official power ups,with a lot of the ones shown, they feel like full power ups.  

I know you went out of order playing the Paper Mario Games. (I believe you started with Super Paper Mario?)

These Badges function like the Badges in the first 2 PM game, if you recall. If you don't remember them or were fond of them I can see why Badges seem weird to you and why they aren't power ups.

But coming up from a lot of gameplay of Paper Mario and the function of these badges were in some of the Mario & Luigi RPG. So there's a history of badge function in Mario games. I believe this is the first time in a 2D platformer game for Mario, where badges are a thing. I couldn't be more excited for it functions and add a lot replay value.

One thing I realized, I think wasn't explained; do these badges work with friends online and races? If they are not there, that's okay but I think as I said make replay of this game even more awesome.

43 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I feel like a few of them should be "earned" powers that are permanent - like the wall jump.

What I found weird about the characters basic attributes, all character play alike from how they move and jump outside how Nabbit and Yoshi plays.

That's slight downer, if accurate. I like that each of the players had different attributes but maybe the badges play apart why all characters play the same, if so I guess that makes sense. That it might be hard to have badges on top how each character plays a little different, add the passive online and that sounds like a lot to program for?

13 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I feel like a few of them should be "earned" powers that are permanent - like the wall jump.

I see that too, not lost on me that should be earned, whether its assist like gameplay, these badges are cool.

Okay, I am calling Paper Mario bias, I can't help it.

Pretty interesting stuff in the Direct - nice to see Nabbit back… wonder if we’ll see any unlockable characters that they haven’t mentioned?

Bowser fusing with that Castle is an interesting take- at least he isn’t getting possessed again at least 

A lot of people were speculating that each characters would get their own Animal power up, which would have been interesting i admit… even though I wasn’t sure if that would be the case myself 

but i guess that’s fine? A lot of the new power ups look neat - the drill somewhat reminds me of that tool or power up in Mario Galaxy 2… iirc? Been ages since I’ve played that, though

The badges look nice, though a few should just be unlockable abilities? 

And looks like there’s some sort of online with Shadow players? Not what i was expecting, but an interesting and different take - looks pretty interesting at least 

Looking forward to this game - been tempted to use the second Voucher for it..

Though there’s 6/7 other games that are of equal interest that look equally good, too…

So that’s a difficult decision- there’s always a possibility to get more vouchers, though i don’t know when

• DLurkster changed the title to Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct 8.31.23 7amPT/10am ET
  • Chrom featured this topic