Zelda: Breath of the Wild

On 2017-07-14 at 0:24 PM, Eliwood8 said:

Wow, I never thought to use them on anything except guardians, especially since they're rare. Oh well, at least I made some of the guardian fights easier.

I've got my shield parry game on point so I saved a few ancient arrows for dire circumstances of obliterating any enemies if I get in a tight spot. 

5 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

So did you guys look up where to find all of the shrines/side quests online or did you strictly go to looking for all of that stuff yourselves without using online?

I used a map for like 5 shrines and 600 Korok seeds. I think that was it.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:31 AM, Eliwoodman12 said:

So did you guys look up where to find all of the shrines/side quests online or did you strictly go to looking for all of that stuff yourselves without using online?

I generally run into the shrines randomly, but use guides to go through them if need be.

Did some ingredient hunting last night, got a Bobkoblin mask last night from Kilton. Can't wait to fool some bad guys with it. :P 

Edited by Doc Brown

I am 99.9% certain wearing Majora's Mask staves the blood moon. And I'm only angry about this because I just wasted 3 hours trying to provoke said moon whilst wearing said mask. The second I took it off...BAM. Blood moon. Fml.

29 minutes ago, Uni said:

I am 99.9% certain wearing Majora's Mask staves the blood moon. And I'm only angry about this because I just wasted 3 hours trying to provoke said moon whilst wearing said mask. The second I took it off...BAM. Blood moon. Fml.

Yeah the RNG on Blood Moons is atrocious. Especially when trying to complete a certain quest.

The only 'proven' thing is to kill as many enemies as you can, as the game then needs to respawn them so a Blood Moon is more likely.

15 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Yeah the RNG on Blood Moons is atrocious. Especially when trying to complete a certain quest.

The only 'proven' thing is to kill as many enemies as you can, as the game then needs to respawn them so a Blood Moon is more likely.

I swear to you, I killed half the enemies in Hyrule and that thing did not show up until I took off the mask. 

Updated to 1.3.0 today and came across a weird glitch I wanted to share.

As I was playing I noticed I had an active quest I didn't recognize, and upon researching it was apparently the Korok Mask quest even though I did not buy the DLC. It was set as an active quest on my map but it didn't appear in my adventure log so it confused me for a bit. I tried following the quest as normal to see if it was worth trying but I couldn't complete it since neither the treasure chest nor the book that tells you where it is would show up. Setting another active quest got rid of the marker, so at least I didn't need to be stuck with it unfinished. Just thought it was strange how I technically had a DLC quest active even I couldn't actually do it.

4 minutes ago, Chrom said:

Updated to 1.3.0 today and came across a weird glitch I wanted to share.

As I was playing I noticed I had an active quest I didn't recognize, and upon researching it was apparently the Korok Mask quest even though I did not buy the DLC. It was set as an active quest on my map but it didn't appear in my adventure log so it confused me for a bit. I tried following the quest as normal to see if it was worth trying but I couldn't complete it since neither the treasure chest nor the book that tells you where it is would show up. Setting another active quest got rid of the marker, so at least I didn't need to be stuck with it unfinished. Just thought it was strange how I technically had a DLC quest active even I couldn't actually do it.

Good catch. Seems as if it's an in game pay wall. The update puts it in, but nothing can be done until you get the DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally finished the game a few days ago, and I would like to give my final thoughts on the game.

If it says anything, Breath of the Wild is the only home-console game I've finished in about the past six years. Since I started college, I've had difficulty making time for home-console games, while the 3DS took all my game time because I could play it in quick sessions, and financial constraints had blocked me from buying fancy new consoles. This is a game I wanted to make time for, because it's the first Zelda game (besides ALBW) that respects my time. No long-winded intro and tutorials here to bog you down, you jump into the action right away. BotW never ceased in being the most beautiful and organic videogame I've played. Your enjoyment of the game is based on your desire to explore Hyrule, not to raise some artificial numbers or gather some fabled mcguffins.

While BotW easily has some of the best gameplay in the franchise, it feels void of strong character interactions. For all the Champions, they're all one-noted, and either think Link is awesome or act like a dick to him. I was more entertained by their successors, and it's a shame you don't see them interact together or beyond their quest. And the Guardians of the game were the low-points of the game for me. They certainly don't compare to the dungeons in any other 3D Zelda title, and I don't plan to play through them again, and I don't have to, which is fantastic. Combat is good in BotW. You'll be switching through different weapons frequently, which allows for some variation in combat, but it mainly felt like toned down. Additional skills, like from Twilight Princess, would be nice additions. Perhaps even exclusive skills for each type of weapon. Mechanics such as the paraglider and climbing were wonderful additions that added to exploring the open-world of Hyrule. It allows for freedom, but still allows room for growth so you can continue exploring further many hours later from when you start.

For where BotW sits in the Zelda franchise, I'm not entirely certain. It's easily higher than Skyward Sword. Because of how different BotW is compared to other 3D Zelda games, I'm actually looking forward to replaying Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker in the near future. BotW has almost no story, not one worth writing back home about. And that's okay. BotW was set out to reboot the Zelda series, harkening back to the original Legend of Zelda. I think now I can appreciate the linear structure and narrative of 3D Zelda titles more so now.

Seeing as Aonuma would like to use BotW as the template for later Zelda titles, it's a good time to think on how the next game could improve. Aside from what I mentioned before, I would easily trade 60 to 80 shrines for some fleshed out dungeons. I think 4-6 dungeons would be ideal. And I think a game like BotW like benefit from strong character interactions. I've already talked about the champions, and none of them are nearly as memorable as Marin, Midna, or even Linebeck. I think in this case, focusing on strong character interactions instead of a focused story would be the best approach. How Link  (or the player) interacts with a characters allows more freedom than structuring how the player follows a focused narrative.

That ended up being more than I anticipated. But yeah, that about sums up my thoughts.

One of the thoughts I have most often while playing BOTW is that the next game is going to make us all wonder how we enjoyed this in the first place. Think of the level of polish between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (and if you can't recall, just spend another two minutes playing each of them). This is a massive game and a lot of little balancing/mechanical quirks fell through the cracks. It's revolutionary today, but in the future it'll feel so primitive.

That said, you can tell from the size of the world alone that it really did take years to piece this Hyrule together. How many times can the developers build a world like this before getting burned out?