Horizon: Zero Dawn

This is a thread where we can discuss all things Horizon: Zero Dawn which by the way is a damn fine game I am having a blast with it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn is an action role-playing video game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. The game was released worldwide in 2017.

The plot revolves around Aloy, a hunter and archer living in a world overrun by robots. Having been cloistered her whole life, she sets out to discover the dangers that kept her sheltered. The character makes use of ranged, melee weapons and stealth tactics to combat the mechanized creatures, whose remains can also be looted for resources. A skill tree facilitates gameplay improvements. The game features an open world environment for Aloy to explore, divided into tribes that hold side quests to undertake while the main story guides her throughout the whole world.

(Not an actual walkthrough, but an amalgamation of showcases.)

Having seen this, I have to say that this looks really fun. I concur with @Bark of the Wild Eevee in that I will not be playing an open-world game so close to Breath of the Wild--not that I could anyway; I don't yet own a PlayStation 4. The timing for this to drop was fairly impeccable, though. I wonder which one will ultimately outsell the other this year? They are similar games, after all, though their approaches are somewhat different, especially in tone.

Breath of the Wild is an open-world game, but hardly an RPG in the sense that we know RPG's. It retains much of its franchise's action-adventure DNA, but the focus is more on something I can best describe as quietude and quaintness. The world is built to be more...vague and mysterious, and is, for the most part, traditionally fantastical--barring Shiekah technology which is designed in such a way that it could be seen as magical anyway.

Horizon Zero Dawn is bombastic--quite cinematic, and is very much action-oriented while emphasising its RPG elements more directly. Its world is less a fantasy setting as it is a post-apocalyptic one, and is a very direct attempt at melding very disparate elements together (tribal civilisations, very advanced mechanical fauna, and the like) while throwing at the player a far more comprehensive backstory to justify its plot.

Naturally, I'm more excited for the former; it's an established name that is trying its hand at new-old conventions, and that is very exciting. However, I believe that Guerrilla Games have achieved something very compelling, here. For my part, I am glad that it exists because a PlayStation 4 is guaranteed in my future somewhere, but up until now, the only titles I'd have had to justify it are remakes (Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age). This is the first original Sony exclusive this generation that has caught my attention outside of maybe the new God of War. I'd love another Resistance game, but Insomniac and Sony have all but disowned that franchise (T_T). Horizon Zero Dawn, it is! :D

Edited by Schmengland

I'm really looking forward to playing this but as with others, it would be hard for me to justify buying right now with BotW coming out in 3 days and that most likely absorbing all my gaming time for the next few weeks. After that, the new South Park game is scheduled for the end of the month, which I also have pre-ordered so hopefully after that I might be able to catch on and get Horizon: Zero Dawn.

4 hours ago, JanusDS said:

I'm really looking forward to playing this but as with others, it would be hard for me to justify buying right now with BotW coming out in 3 days and that most likely absorbing all my gaming time for the next few weeks. After that, the new South Park game is scheduled for the end of the month, which I also have pre-ordered so hopefully after that I might be able to catch on and get Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I thought the new South Park was delayed again. Anyways I am doing some side quests to get some new satchels to hold more stuff and also some new weapons still haven't figured out how to use the DLC I got from GameStop.

4 hours ago, Juanblue85 said:

I thought the new South Park was delayed again. Anyways I am doing some side quests to get some new satchels to hold more stuff and also some new weapons still haven't figured out how to use the DLC I got from GameStop.

Son of a bitch, I hadn't checked lately but it looks like it probably has been delayed again cuz it's not showing the end of March release date anymore and they're using the 'Dec 31, 2017' place holder on Amazon and just have release date "Not Yet Announced" on BB where I pre-ordered it. Goddammit, I wish they could get the South Park games released within at least a couple of months of the original set date, just once!

Oh well, I might be picking up Horizon sooner than originally expected then. I'm also looking forward to the FFXV dlc coming out at the end of month and will probably get the season pass at that time but that will still leave plenty of time for another game to be played.

On 2017-02-28 at 3:35 AM, Schmengland said:

(Not an actual walkthrough, but an amalgamation of showcases.)

Having seen this, I have to say that this looks really fun. I concur with @Bark of the Wild Eevee in that I will not be playing an open-world game so close to Breath of the Wild--not that I could anyway; I don't yet own a PlayStation 4. The timing for this to drop was fairly impeccable, though. I wonder which one will ultimately outsell the other this year? They are similar games, after all, though their approaches are somewhat different, especially in tone.

Breath of the Wild is an open-world game, but hardly an RPG in the sense that we know RPG's. It retains much of its franchise's action-adventure DNA, but the focus is more on something I can best describe as quietude and quaintness. The world is built to be more...vague and mysterious, and is, for the most part, traditionally fantastical--barring Shiekah technology which is designed in such a way that it could be seen as magical anyway.

Horizon Zero Dawn is bombastic--quite cinematic, and is very much action-oriented while emphasising its RPG elements more directly. Its world is less a fantasy setting as it is a post-apocalyptic one, and is a very direct attempt at melding very disparate elements together (tribal civilisations, very advanced mechanical fauna, and the like) while throwing at the player a far more comprehensive backstory to justify its plot.

Naturally, I'm more excited for the former; it's an established name that is trying its hand at new-old conventions, and that is very exciting. However, I believe that Guerrilla Games have achieved something very compelling, here. For my part, I am glad that it exists because a PlayStation 4 is guaranteed in my future somewhere, but up until now, the only titles I'd have had to justify it are remakes (Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age). This is the first original Sony exclusive this generation that has caught my attention outside of maybe the new God of War. I'd love another Resistance game, but Insomniac and Sony have all but disowned that franchise (T_T). Horizon Zero Dawn, it is! :D

Horizon will outsell Zelda. 

48 minutes ago, K said:

Anyone know of someone LPing this that isn't annoying as shit and actually has insightful stuff to say?

Better yet, find a playthrough with no commentary.

Hokiebird is thus far the only commentator I can really stand, even though he bitches and moans about the new Halo games all the time in the whiniest way possible.

Just now, Schmengland said:

Better yet, find a playthrough with no commentary.

Hokiebird is thus far the only commentator I can really stand, even though he bitches and moans about the new Halo games all the time in the whiniest way possible.

I would prefer commentary because just watching combat or non story parts without commentary from the person playing is a bit boring and I don't know exactly what the person is doing with the controller. If you're not playing it's really hard to get a feel for how the game really works and feels so some commentary is necessary. 

Just now, K said:

I would prefer commentary because just watching combat or non story parts without commentary from the person playing is a bit boring and I don't know exactly what the person is doing with the controller. If you're not playing it's really hard to get a feel for how the game really works and feels so some commentary is necessary. 

Fair enough. My experience with Let's Plays and walkthroughs amounts to me feeling like watching someone else play games I've already played, but better than I did. :P

Until then, I avoid them because lol, spoilers.

Just now, Schmengland said:

Fair enough. My experience with Let's Plays and walkthroughs amounts to me feeling like watching someone else play games I've already played, but better than I did. :P

Until then, I avoid them because lol, spoilers.

There are a fair number of games that I watch because I have no way of playing the game myself and want to experience it to some degree. I also watch games I have played before but usually it's because some of the people I watch are genuinely funny and insightful.  

19 hours ago, K said:

There are a fair number of games that I watch because I have no way of playing the game myself and want to experience it to some degree. I also watch games I have played before but usually it's because some of the people I watch are genuinely funny and insightful.  

try baertaffy 

i haven't watched him play it yet mostly out of disinterest, but he's a great dude with a stellar voice and i find him v entertaining to watch 

10 minutes ago, chickadee said:

try baertaffy 

i haven't watched him play it yet mostly out of disinterest, but he's a great dude with a stellar voice and i find him v entertaining to watch 

I'll give him a try when I get home. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn with all of the DLC. What a great game! It's so much fun to just run around and hunt down machines; hell, most of the time I just used standard arrows, no elemental weapons or traps, 'cause I had more fun just dodging and quickly aiming to get in a shot or two on a weak point. I really appreciate how well paced the game is too, even for a sandbox game. There's just the right amount of stuff to do in the game's world without really feeling fatigued by it all. The designs of the machines are great too, but rockbreakers can go to hell.