scenario: you are fighting a bear

Spring

Ha! Play dead, and or run away, until the bear is exhausted. Then, if we're being fed, just make friends with the bear. We'll live our lives together in peace, until the bear dies of old age after 20 years. Done.

Or wait for it to starve. I think humans are more energy efficient. I could definitely win a war of attrition against this bear.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Ignoring the fact that we're boxed into an arena, the correct thing to do in real life would be to play dead.

If the bear no longer sees you as a threat, he'll leave you alone.

But then the question becomes how how do you have to be in the closed arena with the bear? Because, if the bear notices the trick in a few moments, well...

5 hours ago, Kamui said:

assuming you are decently fit, you can endurance run it down

Just keep running around until the bear gets too tired to be able to fight back properly. Human beings are the best endurance runners on the planet, if you have the dedication, you can out run anything.

Well if the bear was given some futuristic drug to make it endure that long then you could be screwed. 

13 hours ago, chickadee said:

you're in an arena, so you have a field of room but not anything else

there might be a few pebbles on the ground, but none big enough to really use as a weapon

Thunderdome or WWF Cage match then?

Yogi_Bear_Yogi_Bear.png

We have a picnic.

Is it allergic to puns? I'd kill it with my bear hands. It'd be a grizzly death.

That'd be unbearable to watch though...

Edited by purple_beard

I attempt to reason with the bear. We both roll opposing diplomacy checks. I have a native +1 due to my charisma, and the bear has a disadvantage of -2, as he considered Charisma a dump stat. The GM rules the bear as Unfriendly, which means I need to score at least a 15 to improve his opinion of me. I roll a 16 for a total bonus of 17, whereas the bear has trouble holding the d20 in his paws and accidentally eats it instead. Success! I successfully talked the bear into increasing his opinion of me, going from "Unfriendly" to "Indifferent". I ask the GM how this improves our relations, and apparently "Indifferent" implies "socially expected interaction". Of course, the socially expected interaction is that the bear eats the human, so I still get eaten anyway.

Edited by Veronica