I have to vent about the level scaling in Fire Emblem Engage.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

The entire game is built around encouraging the player to experiment with putting different Emblem Rings on different units to see who can make the best use of whichever skills a given Emblem has to offer. So why the fuck does it punish you for grinding so much by raising the level of enemies during Skirmishes based on the average level of your entire army? It's impossible to raise up any units that I benched in the early game because they literally can't survive a single round of combat with these promoted enemies that even my main army has trouble with.

I thought that the whole purpose of grinding was to make the game easier if the player so chooses?

Same difficulty too.

I noticed that once my army was getting to level 10, all the skirmishes keep going up everytime I think I clear a chapter, paralogue or simply return to the map. (last one may be a bit exaggeratory)  Tho if you get those weaker guys stronger, you pretty much steamroll all your foes so there's that.

Yes, in FE you want to level up characters you like tactically or personally but this game for some reason punish you from doing that and any characters that can meet the challenge, those guys get stronger and the weaker just stay that way. This isn't like previous entries if you adjutant, those lower level characters can level up. It's been a while since I played but it done differently to the point trying to level up those characters with your strong on the map just die. Like this is basic RPG 101; you level up your weak party members by association in fights or quickly withdrawal and put in stronger party to finish the job and earn that exp.

There's thing to like about this game but stuff like this and the support convo's being hella short is not FE to me. I get those who didn't like Three Houses for its length and graphics. Outside the graphics, I like the story weaving despite again story beats repeating at the start of each house a bit. It's no wonder this game finished so quick and was hold on for so long. This must of took them 2 years tops to make and held it for almost a year after completed.

EDIT: The loudest complaints I hear about this game and I agree is halfway thru the game it suddenly hard earn money. Yeah, that's another issue but levelling up proper is a bigger issue than you can't get as much money in the game effectively.

Edited by DLurkster
  • 2 weeks later...