Welcome to my gallery. Most of my drawings here will focus on Metroid Prime Hunters, as it continues to inspire me quite a bit; however, I do want to share drawings of other subject matters as well later on. Drawing is a hobby of mine and I've got a lot of ideas, so I usually don't spend more than 90 minutes on any drawing I do. Don't expect much skills on display, but I do hope you like the concepts and stories I try to convey. Unless I state otherwise, my digital drawings are being done through the Colors! 3D application working off of my 2DS, as currently it's what I'm most familiar and comfortable with beyond simply pencil and paper. I hope you like what you see.

fe156bcd-8015-4900-b74a-e424b06c44ef.jpg  ff49e6ef-2005-43c7-84df-dd4e484a5824.jpg

These two drawings I did back during my summer vacation last year. With Gorea, I wanted to reference the twisted nature surrounding the character between its prison, the Oubliette, and the lore Gorea 06, which describes Gorea as a "cancerous bloom." I also wanted to give the monstrosity a touch of its 2nd phase and Mother Brain by having the Gorea Seal Sphere fire off a sizable laser. The Sylux drawing is all about the Lockjaw Tri-Bomb trap, and how that ability has morphed the hunter into a master of death.

NewAlimbicOrder.jpg

Wanting to do something with Samus and the Alimbic Order of Elders, I decided to focus on their symbols (found on Alimbic artifacts and at the entrances of the Stronghold Voids) around Samus empowered by having unified the eight Octoliths. Going in a clockwise direction, the symbols represent the pair of elders at Alinos, then Arcterra, on to V.D.O and finally around to the Celestial Archives. Around each symbol pair is a representation of those settings. Fire and ice surround the Alinos and Arcterra pairs respectively. The V.D.O pair are surrounded by an energy that ends up producing warheads. For the Archives pair, I wanted to emphasize connection (looked at my phone's Wi-Fi sign for reference) and communication since it is not just the hub of countless works of Alimbic scholars but also where the Helm Room is from where the telepathic lure of "ultimate power" was transmitted from.

CeremonialCharms.jpg

Decided to take one of the most obscure scans in Metroid Prime Hunters, Ceremonial Charms, and make a drawing about Samus reflecting upon the charm. The charm is actually not shown in game, so I made it up, going with the Alimbic Artifact symbol tied to this region of Alinos and the common Alimbic "swirl" for the design. At this point in the game, Samus is well into her mission...so I thought it would be a good moment for her to pause and reflect in examining these charms and remembering that peace and security for the universe is her motivation. This is pretty much the starting point for what I want to do with the Ceremonial Charms. I plan to do more with this scan soon.

HNI_0040.jpg 77df2257-1b18-4b3a-a191-63c371508edf.jpg

Shared these before, but I enjoyed creating these drawings for Valentine's Day, so here they are again. These are more out-of-universe fan art, so don't take it too seriously within the lore of Metroid. With the treat containers, I wanted to focus on candy for each hunter that would reference some aspect of their character: Sylux with Stolen Treats, Trace with Hidden Flavors, Kanden with Juicy Bugs, etc. $4 off for visiting the Tetra Galaxy was a discount I put in there to reference that broader setting of the game. "Mission Commmitment" is straight forward, it is meant to be an engagement ring designed with the unity of the Octoliths at the Cannon Control Room on Alinos. The background wall, table and table edge all are meant to be Alinos references, from the atmosphere, ground and use of Alimbic language in structure designs. The number 79109 is the mission number associated with Samus's investigation of the Alimbic Cluster for the "ultimate power."

4480a450-3927-4279-96d2-44bde66f9334.jpg 5a0d5f8e-d9e2-40f2-a306-1879b804aa10.jpg 56676c92-96a1-4def-91a0-9fc1ab587446.jpg

The first two images above were really rough sketches I felt I could work with after transferring them into Colors! 3D. I originally was going to have "Cancerous Bloom" cut off about mid-breast, but decided to work with the figure a bit more...and it came out odd. Due to how funky Samus ended up looking, I decided to incorporate the twisted nature of Gorea into the piece. I was going for a Tim Burton vibe, and wanted to indicate that Samus unraveling the secure placement of each Octolith was contributing to the spread of the "cancerous bloom" Gorea, referenced by the eight, black spiny tentacles/vines forming out of the dark aura surrounding her.

I screwed up the eyes in the next drawing. I was trying to make Samus look serious, but they ended up looking too dead. Rather than spend a lot of time trying to make her eyes look more alive, I decided to work with the mistake and made the background focus on the lore Alimbic Pride 04. Now, playing off her dead eyes, it's showing that the mission is taking a toll on Samus spiritually and that being in environments with a history of conflict and death is draining her. By the way, the lore referenced, Alimbic Pride 04, is located in the Council Chamber on Alinos, so this could be how Samus feels prior to reflecting over her motives in "Ceremonial Charms," based on a scan just a room away.

The third Samus above gave me confidence in terms of sketching simple shapes within Colors! 3D to create a more human design. This started out as a circle and a trapezoid-like shape, which I used as the basis for her face structure, and will likely make use of those two shapes when doing Samus's face in the future within the app.

f1873da6-fed2-4f3b-8392-8282b16c1f71.jpg  8e8fa4ca-2d91-40c8-95c8-f70ac24cfd98.jpg 3771a07a-00cc-4b3b-9234-3b0e2782dc78.jpg

The middle drawing, "Once Beautiful," is meant to show a time when Alinos was not hellish and is a reference to the planet's in-game scan. Originally, Samus in a bikini was suppose to be there where the Alimbic is, but her proportions were very off and she did not work with the timeline placement of the rest of the piece.

To the left, I wanted to add some perspective to what's occurring within the Alimbic Cluster. Samus is not the only one there. There are six other perspectives to explore, and I like Sylux on Arcterra....There's something else though in the image. Zooming by is a Kriken vessel near one of the "mystery lights" in the Arcterra sky, piloted by Trace.

On the right, I was considering what an Alimbic star ship might look like, and I like the idea of it being diamond shaped like the Octoliths. I might use this same design in the future, or make it look more dated...The bottom of the image is indicating that this ship is active when Samus is in the cluster. Who knows...Kanden might have lost his original ship for this mission earlier and replaced it with a sophisticated Alimbic space craft from Alinos. From there, Kanden tracks Samus and Samus's ship notes the craft's arrival at the Celestial Archives, connecting this image into what happens early in the game. Might run with this idea in another drawing.

d7db09cc-6459-40f0-93dd-126fddf97252.jpg

I finished this drawing up yesterday evening. Like with the Sylux drawing, I really want to explore more of the different perspectives and what the missions of the other hunters might have been like. I thought it would be interesting to play around with Spire's color scheme and alter him depending on what weapon is being used (matching what occurs to his "arm cannon" composition in the multiplayer). Seems like even the fiery Diamont had to cool off for at least part of his investigation of Alinos.

That's it for now. Feel free to comment on any of these drawings. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Ithrak Utopia
  • 3 months later...

SamusLegendary.jpg

I've been trying to practice drawing the female figure for a while now, and I tend to gravitate towards drawing Samus. The Varia Suit is in there because I've not drawn that in a while. I also wanted to see how it would turn out if I apply some of the same approach I had with ZSS. The Power Beam, Missile and Morph Ball icons are there for negative space. Same for the Legendary Hunter banner.

SamusHotColdZSS.jpg

I don't think they look horrible here, but I have an issue with the legs I draw. It's one of the areas I struggle with when trying to draw any character. My main problem is understanding how big the legs should be as well as how the curves/muscles should look. Feet/Shoes are a struggle too. I think I made the breast area too loose for the Zero Suit here, but these sketches are also before I began using more of a shelf structure in that area to make the ZS appear tighter. The "Judicoat" and "Magmauloose" variations are just in the moment ideas I had. Coat and loose fit slammed together with the names Judicator and Magmaul respectively probably sounds silly. The idea behind the icons for the Judicator and Magmaul is to demonstrate functionality, Judicator (down) being used to indicate moderate cold resistance and Magmaul (down) for moderate heat resistance. They're more for casual wear around citizens of worlds where there are extreme temps, protection is not as powerful as the Varia Suit.

IMG_1817.jpg

The writing in this one says "Namesake," "Magnetic Field," and "Dialanche: Drill Blade." For a while now, I've been wanting to draw a spire structure for Mondreus, home world of the Diamonts and Spire, that would serve as the focus of some of Diamonts' potential religious beliefs and what Spire ends up being named after. The symbol on the Mondreus spire is the icon for the active reticle for the bounty hunter Spire, present while players are firing weapons and briefly afterwards. The next two sketches go hand and hand. The enhancement to Spire's magnetic properties is through the Volt Driver, which allows him to do more with shifting around his "crust" armor. I've always liked the idea of Spire having the ability to quickly tear through rocks and walls, so I went with a drill. I also decided to stick with the naming present in the game, the current function for the Dialanche in-game is generally called the Fire Blade, rather than something weirder. Like I said though, the Drill Blade is only possible because Spire has pushed the Volt Driver further for his benefit, giving him stronger magnet-like abilities than before. It's pretty much at affinity status here, but used more for getting to places/making paths as opposed to the combat role the Magmaul affinity serves.

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

I've been working to draw with more regularity over the latter part of 2021, and decided to get my creativity flowing by challenging myself with seeing what I could do with the details of mainly the named locations within Metroid Prime Hunters. The goal has been to take the details I would capture with my smartphone and turn them into planetary systems. I began with the Celestial Gateway using colored pencils and crayons, and then decided to give digital art a go with Colors Live since I have that application on my Nintendo Switch. Below are what I came up with up through the first Cretaphid encounter and focused on areas of the Celestial Archives specifically, so no Stronghold Void and Biodefense Chamber A yet. 

Celestial Gateway

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

Unnamed Location (small corridors between named locations)

IMG_3928.JPG

Helm Room

IMG_4141.JPG

Meditation Room

IMG_4820.JPG

Data Shrine 01

IMG_4819.JPG

Fan Room Alpha

IMG_4972.JPG

Data Shrine 02

IMG_5144.JPG

Fan Room Beta

IMG_5512.JPG

Data Shrine 03

IMG_5850.JPG

Synergy Core

IMG_5941.JPG

Data Shrine 02 is the only one where I focused more on the gameplay that occurs as opposed to the details of the environment. This is so that the drawing reflects more of how I experience Data Shrine 02 in a typical run which involves glitching through to get the Volt Driver early. That's why that planetary system has a number of blackened worlds. 

Data Shrine 03's background glow with the orange and blue are reverse to the line of progression. When I went into the game to take pictures, I took a shortcut and went to Data Shrine 03 from Synergy Core after taking the teleport. The structures that have blue detailing within the outer area of the Data Shrine match with the progression from Fan Room Beta, and so the glow should have been on the left rather than the right. I did think about correcting the background, but saw that erasing the glow would create other issues on the layer and I also kind of liked my mistake matching the shortcut I took. 

Overall, I've enjoyed what I've done so far, and do look at this more as a foundation for other drawings. For these ten systems, I took 212 photos of in-game details through the Celestial Archives. Not all pictures resulted in a world, and I'll be able to provide an image from in-game if anyone is curious of a planet's or structure's origin. I'm hoping that these turn out well here. They looked too small on Instagram, and, after seeing them on my TV, didn't think sharing them there was worth the compromise anymore. I am looking to continue on with the Celestial Archives' locations, and may mix in some other ideas besides planetary systems to broaden my comfort level drawing away from paper. Let me know what you think of these.