DEATH BATTLE! Discussion thread

Oshawott777

One with a time traveler motif. 

I thought about Trunks vs. Lucina, but it would seem Trunks might win because of Super Sayain. And don't bring in Silver, OMM already did Trunks vs. Silver.  

Or heck, Yooka and Laylee vs. Banjo and Kazooie when the former comes out. I thought about Beck vs. Mega Man, but... Beck sucks. Why? The above is happening.

This series is the best-formatted of its kind, since most others take the easy way and offer a user poll--which essentially reduces it to a popularity contest. Goku's superiority to Superman as a character is obvious, given the former's requirement to actually work for his power, but the latter's combat superiority is equally obvious and ensures that he'll always come out on top in a fight, and I can respect Death Battle's integrity in keeping to this fundamental fact. Twice.

Of course, this doesn't mean it's infallible:

Spoiler

To be clear, I haven't played Final Fantasy VII, and cannot really comment on Tifa's strength and abilities as a result. I know her best from Advent Children, and if that were their only source, I could see how they would come to this conclusion. But that's not the only source, and frankly, at the time this came out, volume 3 of RWBY hadn't even started yet. Yang was entirely too new as a character compared to Tifa for them to judge fairly--still is, even! If nothing else, Tifa's relative experience alone would have put her on top. This was entirely premature, and I am very sceptical about this. I'm inclined to believe that this fight and its result were dropped partly for promotional purposes and partly as a tribute to Monty Oum, whose death had occurred earlier in the year.

Perhaps someone more familiar with Tifa could offer some greater insight?

Edited by Schmengland
43 minutes ago, Schmengland said:
  Hide contents

This was entirely premature, and I am very sceptical about this. I'm inclined to believe that this fight and its result were dropped partly for promotional purposes and partly as a tribute to Monty Oum, whose death had occurred earlier in the year.

The results were rigged in the support of Yang, which got everyone so riled up. It's been like this for a while, i.e. Bayonetta vs. Dante, Samus vs. Boba Fett.

It's really been reduced to a popularity contest, but hey, at least the quality of the fights didn't suffer. Actually, it did.

38 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

This series is the best-formatted of its kind, since most others take the easy way and offer a user poll--which essentially reduces it to a popularity contest. Goku's superiority to Superman as a character is obvious, given the former's requirement to actually work for his power, but the latter's combat superiority is equally obvious and ensures that he'll always come out on top in a fight, and I can respect Death Battle's integrity in keeping to this fundamental fact. Twice.

Of course, this doesn't mean it's infallible:

Hide contents

To be clear, I haven't played Final Fantasy VII, and cannot really comment on Tifa's strength and abilities as a result. I know her best from Advent Children, and if that were their only source, I could see how they would come to this conclusion. But that's not the only source, and frankly, at the time this came out, volume 3 of RWBY hadn't even started yet. Yang was entirely too new as a character compared to Tifa for them to judge fairly--still is, even! If nothing else, Tifa's relative experience alone would have put her on top. This was entirely premature, and I am very sceptical about this. I'm inclined to believe that this fight and its result were dropped partly for promotional purposes and partly as a tribute to Monty Oum, whose death had occurred earlier in the year.

Perhaps someone more familiar with Tifa could offer some greater insight?

Honestly Tifa was shafted in how this fight played out but Yang still probably would've won anyway.  Tifa's not really a fast character even if Advent Children would love to have you think otherwise.  That being said she's very... plain in her fights - high damage output contrasted by low everything else.  Yang at least had enough development to where we regularly see her abuse her Ember Celica for physics-defying stunts.

If they took into account some of Tifa's other gear and skills (you get access to a weapon called God Fist which, while weaker overall, never misses and there's a skill in FF7 called "Deathblow" which trades accuracy for a guaranteed crit), it'd have been a much closer fight.  Their math was also pretty odd in the summary with Yang supposedly being able to take 1400 tons of force but didn't factor in anything about Yang being KO'd by Neo on the train.  They also claim that Tifa's feats are pretty much exclusive to her limit breaks, but conveniently ignore the fact that she threw Cloud in the air in FF:AC like it was her day job.

tl;dr Yang would have won but it wouldn't have been so decisive. 

2 minutes ago, Ret said:

Their math was also pretty odd in the summary with Yang supposedly being able to take 1400 tons of force but didn't factor in anything about Yang being KO'd by Neo on the train.

To be fair, this is not so much Death Battle's fault: Everything we know about Yang and her semblance makes the outcome to the fight with Neopolitan nonsensical. It's still one of my favourite fights in the series, if only because watching Neo and her fighting style was an absolute joy, and I think she still would have come out on top via her own semblance. Nevertheless, the outcome is much like the one demonstrated here: Too one-sided. If Yang had been fighting at full capacity (and there was really no reason or her not to), Neo would have had to work a lot harder for that victory.

Fuck, Yang was launched clean through a cafeteria ceiling by Nora in the first episode of the same volume and was just fine afterwards, and suddenly, she can't handle a collision with the ceiling of an armoured train car...?

In spite of that, though, what you're saying sounds sensible enough. I was always under the impression that Tifa was one of the more powerful characters featured in Gaia, but from what you're telling me, it sounds like she's...fairly average.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:31 PM, Schmengland said:

To be fair, this is not so much Death Battle's fault: Everything we know about Yang and her semblance makes the outcome to the fight with Neopolitan nonsensical. It's still one of my favourite fights in the series, if only because watching Neo and her fighting style was an absolute joy, and I think she still would have come out on top via her own semblance. Nevertheless, the outcome is much like the one demonstrated here: Too one-sided. If Yang had been fighting at full capacity (and there was really no reason or her not to), Neo would have had to work a lot harder for that victory.

Fuck, Yang was launched clean through a cafeteria ceiling by Nora in the first episode of the same volume and was just fine afterwards, and suddenly, she can't handle a collision with the ceiling of an armoured train car...?

In spite of that, though, what you're saying sounds sensible enough. I was always under the impression that Tifa was one of the more powerful characters featured in Gaia, but from what you're telling me, it sounds like she's...fairly average.

She's fairly average.  Ends up being the group mom, punches things every once in a while.

this, however, is a much better deathbattle

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't get over the Doomguy vs. Master Chief fight. They specifically mentioned how Doomguy can run at over 50 mph, but when you see him in the actual fight he's just a fucking snail. 

It's not that I hate the outcome of the fight; I just hate how they poorly portrayed Doomguy to make Master Chief look superior by comparison. This is the same exact problem I have with Scout vs. Tracer.

to be honest, i think a lot of that highlights a common problem with "who would win?" scenarios, one they point out in the second goku v superman. A lot of these fights are proposed under the assumption the combatants are on equal grounds, when in reality they operate on totally different "scales of power" from the start.

• 3 months later...

Death Battle can be a hit or miss. Honestly stopped taking them too seriously a long time ago though. Wiz and Boomstick, or rather Screwattack in general don't really do their own research on the characters in question, so much as they have others do it for them, and then they try and make it as presentable as they can even if it's not entirely accurate. They still get paid at the end of the day, so... yeah.

Honestly though, by a certain pointed I started enjoying other crossover fight channels on youtube more than Death Battle like Batinthesun's Super Power Beat Down. Sure, they go by like a voting system to determine who wins a fight, but it's still hella entertaining with the budget they have for live action battles, and the end results often don't annoy me as much as Death Battle's. With Death Battle, there have even been some fights where I would say they were right on the end result, but the way they got there or came to that conclusion was rather questionable if not inaccurate, but ya know, it's just fun epic entertainment at the end of the day...

Edited by Ridley Prime