Fire Emblem Echoes includes new dungeon, requires amiibo to unlock

Chrom

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-echoes-amiibo-apparently-unlock-a-special-dungeon/

There's been a fair share of news about Fire Emblem Echoes this past week, but I'd like to share one that really caught my attention.

According to Amazon Japan, a special dungeon exists in Fire Emblem Echoes that can be challenged if you use the Alm and Celica amiibo. Presumably, this is a new dungeon added to the game, and not one that was originally found in Fire Emblem Gaiden. There's unfortunately not too much information about it at this time, but we know that it seems to exist.

What are your thoughts on this new addition? Does this influence your interest in buying the Alm and Celica amiibo?

9 minutes ago, Kamui said:

Wait, does it require both Amiibo for one dungeon, or is there one dungeon for each path that requires the relevant lord to unlock?

It's kind of unclear. The source only says you can challenge a special dungeon with them, which is a bit ambiguous.

Stuff like this makes me wonder: A.) Can Smartphones put out RFID signals and if so (B.) hasn't anyone developed an app to mimic Amiibo so you don't have to actually buy one?

I remember when Amiibo were supposed to be toys-to-life, not "totally-not-on-disc-DLC"

Edited by Carl321
26 minutes ago, Carl321 said:

Stuff like this makes me wonder: A.) Can Smartphones put out RFID signals and if so (B.) hasn't anyone developed an app to mimic Amiibo so you don't have to actually buy one?

I remember when Amiibo were supposed to be toys-to-life, not "totally-not-on-disc-DLC"

I do recall something about spoofing an amiibo's NFC data using a certain app, but I don't remember the exact details of it...

13 minutes ago, Chrom said:

It's still something that really has no business being locked behind amiibo, assuming this is the only way you can access it.

I don't disagree. I just don't care. Maybe I've grown numb to content being locked behind arbitrary paywalls, whether it's downloadable content, amiibo, or Gacha mechanics.

I'm still of the opinion that locking stuff exclusively behind Amiibo is the worst cancer Nintendo has ever concocted and is worse than on disc DLC. It honestly makes me less likely to buy the Amiibo out of spite. Not don't ger me wrong, if the Amiibo included the DLC but it was still available separately that would be awesome and a great marketing tactic. Having it only accessible via Amiibo sucks. Not like FE Amiibo weren't already some of the hardest ones to get during the Smash 4 line. 

So I wonder if you have to scan both Alm and Celica to unlock the dungeon, or if you just scan the one corresponding to whose campaign you play.  

This has sort of always been the stumbling block of Amiibo, to my mind. Given that Amiibo fulfills two markets at once (the collectible factor of nice Nintendo figurines and the practical application of additional content), Nintendo really needed to walk in the middle ground between incorporating so little Amiibo functionality that it wouldn't justify the purchase and extorting customers for a significant chunk of content. Smash, Mario Kart, and FE Fates managed to hit that sweet spot without going to either extreme, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of their new tendency to treat the figures as expensive on-disc DLC. If they're going to do that, they should at least make the content available to purchase independently of the figures themselves. 

11 hours ago, Nino said:

Amiibo locking is so fucking stupid.

It's the toy version of on disk dlc, and not the 'day 1 dlc' bullshit, the actual garbage kind.

But what are the alternatives?

1. The exact same content, but with a delayed release despite it already being finished.

2. The exact same content, but you have to download it, which is like saying the process of downloading now justifies the $X cost, as if downloading is a costly process to undergo.

I get the frustration when something is locked on-disc, but it makes no practical difference.