Looking like NES Mini stock will dwindle out to nothing over the next few months

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/scandinavian_retailer_prompts_concerns_around_nes_mini_production

Man, Nitnendo really shot themselves in the foot with possible sales of this console of sorts.... ultra low production to begin with and after less than 4 months on the market already moving into discontinuing production runs.  That just seems like a lot of lost revenue IMO.  Maybe its to have factories allocated to Switch production?

My own personal side bar:

I haven't played mine as much as I would have wanted to mainly because of work and other things to do.  However, my biggest issue against gaming with it is the fact that it doesn't register my HDMI switchbox like it I believe it should and I have to connect it to my tv directly, which considering my set up, is a pain in the ass as at that point I don't have good spot to sit the console down safely and keep the cord accessible for swapping out on the side port HDMI.

17 minutes ago, エース said:

It was a toy that they cranked out for the holiday season to make up for the lack of other things they were putting out. It's not really a surprise that they aren't making more. 

To the bitter core of this argument you are 100% right.

But let me ask you this, would you rather have more or less money?  Artificially low supply--while selling out the quantity requested--calls into question the data and analytics a company is looking at to make the decisions they make.

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

To the bitter core of this argument you are 100% right.

But let me ask you this, would you rather have more or less money?  Artificially low supply--while selling out the quantity requested--calls into question the data and analytics a company is looking at to make the decisions they make.

Well yes, everyone would like more money. The thing is though there are many ways that Nintendo can make money, some easier than others. While they definitely made money on the NES classic minis they sold, the margins they were making on it probably weren't significant enough to warrant continued production. 

Edited by エース

Damn. I never even got to see one in stores. At all.

And now the price will skyrocket for them.

anhero;

And I wanted to get one. Really. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Nintendo. I'm betting I'm not the only one who wanted to get one of these but didn't get a chance to during the holiday season.

Edited by Doc Brown

I mean if you really want something similar and don't mind a little bit of work you can set up a Raspberry Pi to do the same thing for about half the price. It won't be officially licensed but you'll be able to run whichever games you would like, and you could even set it up to run other emulated consoles. I've been considering it myself actually. 

Truth be told, every game that was on it could have been played off your WiiVC collection and/or your WiiU VC collection.  In strictest terms.

However, the form factor (classic design with a classic game pad), along with better emulation and more emulation features than the VC versions as well as a cheaper cost per game on it made it the ideal retro gaming collectible.

IMO, the real success of failure of this product will be the eventual outcomes of the following:

Better emulation on Switch for the same games, in other words, the better emulation on the NES Classic or the off emulation of the WiiU VC versions of the same games.

A future SNES, N64, and hell, possibly a GC mini come to fruition.

6 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Truth be told, every game that was on it could have been played off your WiiVC collection and/or your WiiU VC collection.  In strictest terms.

However, the form factor (classic design with a classic game pad), along with better emulation and more emulation features than the VC versions as well as a cheaper cost per game on it made it the ideal retro gaming collectible.

IMO, the real success of failure of this product will be the eventual outcomes of the following:

Better emulation on Switch for the same games, in other words, the better emulation on the NES Classic or the off emulation of the WiiU VC versions of the same games.

A future SNES, N64, and hell, possibly a GC mini come to fruition.

Yea.

And good point.

Maybe.

Good point on that as well.

19 minutes ago, エース said:

I mean if you really want something similar and don't mind a little bit of work you can set up a Raspberry Pi to do the same thing for about half the price. It won't be officially licensed but you'll be able to run whichever games you would like, and you could even set it up to run other emulated consoles. I've been considering it myself actually. 

It looks like too much of a hassle. anhero; It's just a bit too technical.

I said this the other day- it seems like Nintendo would rather sell out of 200,000 copies of thing than sell 1.75 million out of 2 million copies of a thing.

Now, with the Switch coming, I can understand this. Would Nintendo rather sell a $60 unit that plays 30 NES games, or would they rather sell a $300 unit and charge $5 a pop for NES games? Nintendo might think the availability of those games at a cheap price point might cut into potential profits of the Switch.

I still haven't seen an NES Classic Edition in stores. And I'm sure if they were available for purchase, they'd be purchased.

52 minutes ago, エース said:

It's actually super easy and only takes about 10 minutes. 

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

For someone who's good at it. I'm not the uber technical sort. Really. I'd be afraid of breaking something.

But thanks for the link. It's a nice guide.

21 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

I said this the other day- it seems like Nintendo would rather sell out of 200,000 copies of thing than sell 1.75 million out of 2 million copies of a thing.

Now, with the Switch coming, I can understand this. Would Nintendo rather sell a $60 unit that plays 30 NES games, or would they rather sell a $300 unit and charge $5 a pop for NES games? Nintendo might think the availability of those games at a cheap price point might cut into potential profits of the Switch.

I still haven't seen an NES Classic Edition in stores. And I'm sure if they were available for purchase, they'd be purchased.

Yep. I can as well.

Exactly. It was a 'there one minute, gone the next' console. Something to fill the void.

This would not surprise me. The NES Mini is essentially a novelty item with no expandability, but it has one compelling feature: the quality of its emulator. If I were Nintendo, my plan would very well be to drop the Mini on a limited run and sell what I could before turning my energy towards the Switch--which should also feature that (or a similar) emulator and others.

4 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

This would not surprise me. The NES Mini is essentially a novelty item with no expandability, but it has one compelling feature: the quality of its emulator. If I were Nintendo, my plan would very well be to drop the Mini on a limited run and sell what I could before turning my energy towards the Switch--which should also feature that (or a similar) emulator and others.

I am with you on making all "retro" Nintendo systems offer a emulator equally as good as the one on the NES Mini.  The filters and save file states probably aren't needed.

I wonder if those qualities can be translated to other systems like the SMS, Genesis, TG16/CD, Neo Geo, and C64 that were up on the Wii.

Man, if all those retro systems that good libraries of offerings on the Wii VC came over to the Switch and they could pull off the emulation quality of the NES Mini....  oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

What still pisses me off more than anything is that they don't make more NES Classic controllers since they can be used with Wii / Wii U VC games! I've tried several 3rd party controllers from GS that are for the NES Classic and the first one had problems with some directions and the 2nd one, despite having the same brand label, just didn't work with the Wii VC on my Wii U. But yeah, I feel like they missed out on a huge chunk of revenue that I would think would have been highly profitable revenue by manufacturing so little. Of course now they are going to be focused on moving the Switch so it makes sense for them to be discontinuing the NES Classic and maybe plan a SNES Classic if there's a slump looking time for the Switch.

6 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

What still pisses me off more than anything is that they don't make more NES Classic controllers since they can be used with Wii / Wii U VC games! I've tried several 3rd party controllers from GS that are for the NES Classic and the first one had problems with some directions and the 2nd one, despite having the same brand label, just didn't work with the Wii VC on my Wii U. But yeah, I feel like they missed out on a huge chunk of revenue that I would think would have been highly profitable revenue by manufacturing so little. Of course now they are going to be focused on moving the Switch so it makes sense for them to be discontinuing the NES Classic and maybe plan a SNES Classic if there's a slump looking time for the Switch.

I don't see a way to do a "classic" controller line for the Switch and whatever VC they will have but I do agree that with the Wii and WiiU there could have been a line of "classic controllers" that let you use the original form factor and design of the classic controllers associated with the system.  Although, the N64 library on both was too minimal to maybe justify one of those.

I wonder if they will do special edition joy cons either colored for the retro systems or the actual shape/form for VC gaming.

Edited by purple_beard