How do you rank the Metroid games?

I'm a little hungry for Metroid discussion, and I haven't done a ranking since Metroid Prime Federation Force, so...

1. Metroid Prime Hunters

2. Super Metroid

3. Metroid Prime

4. Metroid

5. Metroid Prime Federation Force

6. Metroid Fusion

7. Metroid Other M

8. Metroid Prime 3

9. Metroid Zero Mission

10. Metroid Prime Pinball

11. Metroid Prime 2

12. Metroid II

1-3: The top 3 for me are pretty automatic. Metroid Prime Hunters is Metroid Prime Hunters, and I definitely feel Super Metroid has an edge over Metroid Prime.

4: The original Metroid may be my third most replayed single player experience within the series behind MPH and Other M, so I love it for how enjoyable it is to return to especially with the NG+ active. I find a lot of charm to the simplicity of the game graphically and mechanically, with certain upgrades like Bombs and Screw Attack feeling very valuable/useful with the absence of diagonal aiming.

5: Federation Force, if I play more of the games I've ranked below it, would drop down due to how frustrating it ends up getting after the credits roll; however, before that, it still is the Metroid game that I feel has the most diversity in gameplay scenarios, most of which I did like. It also has the most diversity in terms of a tool set to use within the game's environments, so I really appreciate the game's customization there.

6-9: Almost completely thrown together here in the list. Being very similar in structure, I do think Metroid Fusion accomplished a better overall result than Metroid Other M. Metroid Other M, being my second most replayed Metroid game, barely edges out my current experiences with Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid Zero Mission. If I ever get back into it, I would say of these 4 games that Metroid Zero Mission has the best chance to rocket near or into my Top 5 Metroid games in the future due to its replay value and structure.

10-11: While it is not traditional, I find Metroid Prime Pinball a more enjoyable game for what it is than I do Metroid Prime 2 for what it is. I cannot think of a better pinball game experience I've had, where as I cannot say the same about Metroid Prime 2 as a first person adventure. Lore-wise and atmospherically, Echoes is at least second in the series in both aspects, but the game surrounding them has me going to other entries in the series (except when it comes to boss encounters, Echoes is great there).

12: I mainly put Metroid II down at the bottom simply due to its lack of color. Metroid II, as a game, is one I enjoy playing more than I do Metroid Prime 2, but there is not as much connecting with me in terms of atmosphere here. It's a bit unfortunate as, with AM2R, there is plenty of vibrancy around SR388.*

* Since I have not finished the game, AM2R is not in my rankings. Based on about ~3-4 hours of play time, I will say that AM2R was on track to be one of the better Metroid experiences I've had...likely breaking Top 5. I still have AM2R on my laptop, but I'm not sure when I'll be getting back into the game to finish it.

Metroid Prime
MPH
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Other M

Played a little bit of Super Metroid. Man, the presentation was super good, and it looked really promising but I got pulled away from it and never finished.
I'd speculate it'd go either between MPH, and MP2, or between MP2 and MP3. Hard to beat MPH for me, that game sure left an impact.

Super Metroid

Metroid Prime

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Fusion

Metroid

Metroid Prime 3

Metroid Prime Hunters

Metroid Prime Pinball

Metroid II

Metroid Other M

Haven't played Federation Force or AM2R. Honestly even the 'bad' Metroid games are still pretty good.

1. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

2. Metroid Prime

3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

4. Super Metroid

5. Metroid Prime Hunters

6. Metroid Zero Mission

7. Metroid Fusion

8. Metroid II

9. Metroid Prime Pinball

10. Metroid

33. Other M

Unranked: Metroid Prime Federation Force

I refuse to even rank Federation Force. There's no way I'm comparing that game to the Metroid franchise since I actually haven't had the chance to play it and it wouldn't be fair. Yes I did word that sentence to initially rustle jimmies.

1) Super Metroid-  loved the atmosphere, music and fights. Sets a tone throughout the game.

2) Metroid Prime-  Did really well with adding things like the scan visor to the series.

3) Metroid Zero Mission-  The updates kept this fresh from its original version.

4) Metroid Prime 3- I liked the adding of other hunters to the story and certain motion control areas were a nice touch, like the turnable locks.

5) Metroid 2-  I liked exploring, but with all the rooms looking similar and no map kinda brings this down.

Hunters-  Decent game but screwy visuals on wii u version kinda hampered experience.

6) MP2 Echoes-  Cool idea but just not done right.  ALTTP did the whole mirror dark world better. The lack of weapons was dissapointing.still gets kudos for the light suit and ending.

7)  Metroid Fusion-  I wanted to like it more than I did.  The forced progression got a bit irritating and having to fight for items after a fight was different not in a good way.

8) Other M-  forced progression returns and the way certain story elements beat you over the head......ugh  standing still for missles usage? Wth?

*Metroid Prime Pinball-  Really fun game for pinball, but cant rank with actual adventures.

**Federation Force- Cant rank due to not playing.

good metroid games

super metroid

metroid prime

metroid fusion

metroid zero mission

okay metroid games

metroid prime 2 echoes

metroid prime 3 corruption

metroid prime pinball

bad metroid games

metroid 2

metroid prime federation force

metroid prime hunters

very bad metroid games

metroid other m

oh yeah this game exists metroid games

metroid

Edited by Yuki
oh yeah this game exists
2 hours ago, Yuki said:

good metroid games

super metroid

metroid prime

metroid fusion

metroid zero mission

okay metroid games

metroid prime 2 echoes

metroid prime 3 corruption

metroid prime pinball

bad metroid games

metroid 2

metroid prime federation force

metroid prime hunters

very bad metroid games

metroid other m

scanning... scanning...

Definitive rankings confirmed.

From a gameplay perspective Other M has potential. Like when you watch the combat in action, it looks cool and deep. It's just not really because of an overly simplified control scheme. If only it had used the Nunchuk, allowing the player to actually aim at targets with the arm cannon, while Samus auto locks-on to nearby enemies for separate physical attacks, blocks and parries that used multiple buttons, like a hybrid between Ninja Giaden and Sin & Punishment. That could've been pretty sweet and had some really slick, varied combos. Too bad Nintendo was pushing the standalone sideways Wii Remote for some reason. Why do they have to push these control gimmicks with long standing series that don't need them and just end up hurting the end product. *coughstarfoxzerocough*

Granted the world is kind of a mess too, and barely feels like a Metroid game. An then there's that whole stupid authorization thing, without even touching on the story...

Still, I'd really like to see a group of dedicated fans polish this turd someday. Of course, what fans? theydonothing;

Also, I'm noticing a distinct lack of AM2R on these lists. y;

Edited by Marxforever

Really hard to rate Super Metroid and Metroid Prime against one another; they're basically equal on this ranking.

Metroid Prime

Super Metroid

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Prime 3

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Other M

Metroid Prime Hunters

Metroid Prime Pinball

Metroid

Metroid II

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

1. Prime 3 - Only real flaw was Skytown being too drawn out 

2. Metroid Prime - Perfection but I found Prime 3 to be more enjoyable 

3. Other M 

4. Metroid 

5. Prime 2 - Would've hated this one if it wasn't for Sanctuary Fortress saving the day

6. Metroid Prime Hunters - Always felt boring to me, would most likely still be the very last if I played the other Metroid games :v  

1. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

2. Metroid Prime

3. Super Metroid

4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

5. Metroid: Zero Mission

6. Metroid Fusion

7. Metroid II 

8. Metroid

9. Metroid Prime Hunters

10. Metroid: Other M

N/A: Metroid Prime Pinball and Metroid Prime Federations Force

Definitely biased towards to Prime series. Prime and Echoes are pretty close. I give Echoes the edge because I think the gameplay was a bit tougher and more unique. Prime was my first "real" Metroid game and it holds a special place because of that. However, removing nostalgia I have to give the edge to Echoes. I know a lot of people aren't fans of the ammo or light/dark world but I enjoyed it. The Light and Dark suit are among my favorites suits in the series and even the appearance of the Varia suit in Echoes is the best it has looked to me, though it doesn't change too dramatically from one prime game to the next. 

I didn't truly play through super for the first time till about a year and a half ago and it was a blast. Especially considering I sometimes have troubles getting into "older" generation games. I had no troubles getting into Super Metroid though. It has actually aged incredibly well. Corruption could challenge Super for the third spot, but of the three Prime games it's definitely the one I liked the least. still good enough to break my top 5 though. I also think it has some great environments, Elysia is one of my favorite zones in any of the Metroid games. Where it loses points to me is the bosses felt a little forgettable to me compared to Prime and Echoes bosses and I think having several different planets instead of getting really into the background and lore of one was less interesting. Almost took a "too big" approach to the plot. Additionally, while it was kind of interesting to see a lot of other characters and conflict going on, I think Metroid is at it's best when there is a feeling of isolation. 

Past the top 4 are the games I have replayed very little. I rank Zero Mission higher than Fusion because I enjoyed seeing the original story redone in a more fun to play way. I also think the bosses are for the most part more memorable and enjoy Zebes as a zone more than the ship in Fusion. Samus's internal monologs aren't bad in Fusion but they do sometimes edge close to her Other M persona (which we will get to in a minute). Zero Missions also gave us the Zero suit, so it gets points for that alone. 

Metroid and Metroid II are both games I've never fully played. I rank Metroid II higher than Metroid only because it was the first Metroid I ever played, at least to my knowledge. I think when I was really young I may have rented the original Metroid but I can't recall for certain so Metroid II gets the credit. As silly as it is Metroid II also gets points because "The Tunnel" music is one of my favorite game soundtracks ever for some reason. I don't know why I like it so much but I love that track. 

Hunters I also never beat and that is the main reason it ranks so low. I do remember playing the multiplayer a lot but I also remember it being frustratingly unbalanced and full of hackers so the mode I did spend the most time with left a sour taste in my mouth. That said the single player didn't seem too bad, I just also didn't get into it enough to finish it. I've actually considered picking up the Wii U version and giving it another try but there are a lot of Other games I want to play first. Stylus controls have also always been a big turnoff to me. So even at it's best that would impact its placement. 

Finally Other M. I've never been shy about expressing how much I disliked the game and have no intention to do so here. The only "good" thing I ever really had to say about Other M was that it was the best looking Zero Suit Samus' we've gotten. I'd give that title to the Smash Bros for Wii U now though but Zero Suit Samus still looks pretty damn hot in Other M. I'll be fair and give it a bit more credit where credit is due, from a pure simple hectic action standpoint it has some fun moments. Some of the finishing moves Were decently cool too. But that is all dwarfed by the bad parts of the game. Terrible plot, dialogue and characterization of Samus aside, the gameplay was repetitive and boring. 

The last two I haven't played at all and have no real interest in them at this point. 

I have not completed all games in the series and wish I had jumped on AM2R but I was on vacation at the time and didn't have my computer. The ones that I have played and beaten would probably rank:

Super

Prime

Fusion

Other M

Zero Mission

I believe I did try Metroid when I was young but couldn't grasp certain things so Super is really when I fell for the series, Prime and Fusion were around the same time and loved both of them. In the minority for liking Other M this much but I enjoyed it even w/ its flaws. Zero Mission was fun for being a retelling of the original. I did buy M2 for VC on 3DS but haven't made much progress on it in a few years now I think.

Will put in a word on Metroid Prime Pinball being a great time spender, was one of the only games I had I think in the early years of owning my DS(I think I had it while waiting in line for the Wii and switched between it and Tetris DS). Also have Hunters but the controls just don't click for me, should revisit it at some point.

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (This might be above Fusion.  It was my first Metroid game, so I have a soft spot for it.  I haven't played it for a long time though.)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid: Other M

Haven't played:
Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Prime Hunters
Chibi Mecha Space Marines GO

If AM2R is taken into account, it ranks highly.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Art_de_Cat said:

Hunters-  Decent game but screwy visuals on wii u version kinda hampered experience.

I have two issues with the Wii U version of Metroid Prime Hunters, and the visuals are one of them. The game looks a lot better running on a DS, and even on the 3DS family systems, but on the Wii U there are some instances where I was laughing at how bad the game looked. Almost any time Trace was on screen, unless right up on him, he looked like a blocky, red stick figure. In general, the game just looked a lot more pixelated than what I've been use to.

The other issue I have with the release deals with how the touch screen interaction does not line up as it does on a DS/3DS family system. Playing on the TV and controlling the game on the Game Pad, the game's lower screen presentation is centered which leaves dead areas at the edges of the Game Pad screen. Too often I was clicking in the areas I'm familiar with on their handheld touch screens, along the edges in the corners, which did nothing in this version. The placement was just too off for me, and I'm now back to playing my original copy.

9 hours ago, The_Fool said:

I really, REALLY, hated the Wii controls for Prime 3. Absolute garbage for Hard mode.

The Metroid Prime Trilogy never got controls completely right in my opinion. After playing Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 felt too restrictive in how they controlled on the Gamecube. When they got motion controls after Prime 3, I felt that I had more freedom of movement, but it came at the cost of responsiveness. Occasionally, whether I'm playing Prime, Echoes or Corruption with motion controls, I would get a yellow disconnection sign pop up where my reticle was and that disconnect would cause a minor annoyance up to plenty of frustration depending on what situation I was in in-game. Each disconnection would only last a few moments, but that adds up when playing any of these longer Metroid games.

Edited by IU