Castlevania set to hit NetFlix this year.

purple_beard

If you just look at it as the average length of a movie, it's not so bad. Initially though I was expecting the neighborhood of 12 to 13 episodes like the average length of an anime season now, but did hear at least that the next season for this will be around twice as long. 

The first season was great all around, but the first episode was easily the best of it IMO.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Now that season 2 is out and I watched it... It was pretty good, sad ending notwithstanding. I’m just not sure how to feel about the setup for another season though, without spoiling anything.

Considering how the games go, Dracula will most likely be revived by Death and cement him as the Dark Lord, considering Death is a big force in the series and hasn't showed up yet.  It's actually been taking good liberties with remaining faithful to some of the story in the series so far.

Binged the entire second season the other night. The way it was structured made it feel like a movie broken up into 8 parts more than a serialized story. Nothing against that per se, but it sorta affected the pacing the show as a show, as it kinda dragged when the main trio spent multiple episodes meandering about in the Belmont archive without interacting with the outside world. 

That part also ties into a larger issue, as the show lacked any real interaction between the protagonists and the antagonists until the climax. Like, I liked how both sides each received some kind of development, but these developments were so isolated from one another that may have well been different stories entirely. This lack of interaction also fucked with the world-building. I never really got a feel for the world outside of Dracula, his army, his castle, Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard.

So if the show was gonna spend so much time developing Dracula's henchmen, then it should of have been a story about Dracula's henchmen and the infighting that goes on within his ranks. However, that would sort of defeat the purpose of adapting the general Castlevania plotline; it wouldn't be a Castlevania story without Alucard and the Belmonts stopping Dracula.

To fix this, I'd make the protagonists escalate their encounters with Dracula's hierarchy of henchmen. You have them start with fighting off the night creature hordes before slowly rising up in Dracula's ranks as they pose a greater and greater threat to the vampire lord. This forces the characters from both sides to clash, creating a more dynamic platform for which to develop your characters with. It's a more conventional way of doing things, but it works for a reason. 

I'd also keep the mystique of some of Dracula's henchmen (like Isaac and Hector) to allow more focus on the protagonists. You can still hint at their more nuanced relationships and histories, but I'd keep it more restrained for the sake of balance. It kinda felt like the show blew its wad too early for those characters, especially since the end of the series clearly set their character arcs up for some sort of sequel. It would have been better to reveal more about their pasts in this hypothetical sequel series than to just give everything away through flashbacks from the get-go. I can see why the creators blew said wad too early though; they were probably afraid the next season wouldn't be greenlit or something, so they wanted to show off how nuanced the henchmen could be now that they had the chance. 

Still loved the show though. It's just that its one issue is so glaring that it prevents it from really reaching that tightly structured spice you see with shit like Avatar: the Last Airbender or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 or Breaking Bad. 

Edited by Sir Grim Locksmith VIII
On 11/4/2018 at 11:41 PM, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Binged the entire second season the other night. The way it was structured made it feel like a movie broken up into 8 parts more than a serialized story. Nothing against that per se, but it sorta affected the pacing the show as a show, as it kinda dragged when the main trio spent multiple episodes meandering about in the Belmont archive without interacting with the outside world. 

That part also ties into a larger issue, as the show lacked any real interaction between the protagonists and the antagonists until the climax. Like, I liked how both sides each received some kind of development, but these developments were so isolated from one another that may have well been different stories entirely. This lack of interaction also fucked with the world-building. I never really got a feel for the world outside of Dracula, his army, his castle, Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard.

So if the show was gonna spend so much time developing Dracula's henchmen, then it should of have been a story about Dracula's henchmen and the infighting that goes on within his ranks. However, that would sort of defeat the purpose of adapting the general Castlevania plotline; it wouldn't be a Castlevania story without Alucard and the Belmonts stopping Dracula.

To fix this, I'd make the protagonists escalate their encounters with Dracula's hierarchy of henchmen. You have them start with fighting off the night creature hordes before slowly rising up in Dracula's ranks as they pose a greater and greater threat to the vampire lord. This forces the characters from both sides to clash, creating a more dynamic platform for which to develop your characters with. It's a more conventional way of doing things, but it works for a reason. 

I'd also keep the mystique of some of Dracula's henchmen (like Isaac and Hector) to allow more focus on the protagonists. You can still hint at their more nuanced relationships and histories, but I'd keep it more restrained for the sake of balance. It kinda felt like the show blew its wad too early for those characters, especially since the end of the series clearly set their character arcs up for some sort of sequel. It would have been better to reveal more about their pasts in this hypothetical sequel series than to just give everything away through flashbacks from the get-go. I can see why the creators blew said wad too early though; they were probably afraid the next season wouldn't be greenlit or something, so they wanted to show off how nuanced the henchmen could be now that they had the chance. 

Still loved the show though. It's just that its one issue is so glaring that it prevents it from really reaching that tightly structured spice you see with shit like Avatar: the Last Airbender or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 or Breaking Bad. 

I think you got what 4 episodes for S1 and I think this season is like 10.  Then they are like 24+/-m long episodes.  S1 felt incomplete.  S2 seems to want to expand and advance the story but as I haven't finished it so I can't fully comment on that yet.  My beef does like along the lines you are getting at in that something isn't connecting dots in the story arc of the show.  I'm kind of liking  Dracula dealing with Camilla, Hector, and Isaac  vs Alucard, Trevor and Sypha that I don't mind being deepened in their circle of friends way but somehow, it also isn't really connecting why they really want to have to go at each other.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, Adi Shankar (created of this show) is apparently set to do a Devil May Cry show next, which he'll have crossover with Castlevania at some point. That's... cool and all, but DMC already had an anime before, so I feel for the people that wanted a Zelda show or something next that were kinda salty about the news. Shankar expressed interest in wanting to do a Metroid animated series earlier also, though I knew that wasn't gonna happen this soon. Somewhere down the line would be cool though.

Devil May Cry is happening next from what I understand, but I'll just wait for Castlevania season 3 tbh.