Pokémon GO Discussion Thread | 🌎Comm. Day - March 16th ⚡👻 Rotom (limited time)

4 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

Yeah, and can I just say that the whole team concept is really seeming to make my ability to participate in raids fruitless? There’s been so many times when I begin a raid and I get, like, two to three people from another team participating, then when the battle finally happens they’re suddenly gone. Seems to me like some people are just a bit too zealous for their teams. :( That or it’s a terrible server issue near my work...

Or maybe they set up a private raid? Ran into that recently, only they weren't there from the start. :(  Hope you're able to find some better luck raid wise before it's over! 

I got to chat with a rl friend of mine last night and she had some spare legends and shinies she was willing to share with me. She's a good egg. I don't have much to trade back, but she doesn't mind. She knows I have a harder time trying to find raids and what not.

I'm up to 75 Abra candies now. Found a pair of nice ones. Candied the near 600 cp one and kept the near 900 cp one. Planning on moving that one over to Let's Go. Also was able to get some gifts and items. Working on trying to stock up on Pokeballs, Great Balls and Ultra Balls before the Beldum community day and the Ghost Pokemon Halloween event.

• alienboyva changed the title to Pokémon GO Discussion Thread | *Gen IV is here!* / 🌎Comm. Day - 10/21
58 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Why did they have to drop Gen IV right before Community Day? By the end of this weekend I'm going to have like no balls left. :v

They want people to spend money. awesome;

That said, apart from starters, I'm not catching any new guys. I'm focusing on Abra (up to 75 candies), Gastly (up to 49) and Beldum.

Big heads up... some users are running into suspension screens.  

Here's what another member thought it could be:

onorinbejasus

40 | Mystic | Chicago

Score hidden·42 minutes ago·edited 26 minutes ago

Edit: I originally linked to this. I'll post it here for visibility.

TLDR: App data/code from the previous version stuck around after the forced update. On the first API call to the PoGo servers, this data/code was used, triggering the warning system.

My $0.02 as a software engineer: This doesn't have anything to do with GPS or IV apps. While Niantic was doing some shady stuff with Android to check for root (Folder found/non-found to test for it), they do not have access to the rest of your applications or folder structures without explicit permission. The difference between these apps and the old IVGo is that IVGo would make calls to the Pokemon GO API on Niantic's servers. PokeGenie and Calcy IV do nothing more than take a screenshot and analyze it. More or less, Niantic has no reason to suspect that either app is on your phone (and they'd be stupid to alienate a substantial portion of players that use the apps).

Second, this is not a GPS drift issue either. GPS drift occurs for everyone. Typically, apps correct this by using the last known position, relying on the less accurate signal, etc. While we don't know how Niantic handles GPS issues, we all know that they are not very good at correcting errors with it. That said, GPS drift is not against the TOS. However, spoofing your location is. To do so, you typically need to root your phone or use an android emulator on your computer -- both of which can be detected.

How Niantic checks for spoofers/botters is by checking for old/invalid API calls. They change the API frequently enough that they know when someone is trying to exploit an older version of the game to gain info/data that they don't need. That said, this leads into why this happened:

This update did not clear/invalidate all of the cache/data from the previous version. I'm assuming that because of Gen 4 and the stat reworkings that are coming that Niantic changed the API. On the forced update, the old data and code would have been regenerated and replaced, making your app compliant with their backend. However, in the chaos that is a new gen release -- and bad programming -- some of the code/data from the previous version stayed on some peoples' phones. This data was used to make a call to the Niantic servers, was invalid and triggered the warning.

Edit: Spelling

--------------------------------------

Botttom line, Niantic fucked up.

Another thread about it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/9oogu4/a_random_warning_appeard/

Found some others:

https://old.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/9oogn6/got_the_red_warning_after_losing_connection_to/

https://old.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/9ookyy/updated_to_01232_and_received_one_day_ban/

https://old.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/9o2lej/weekly_questions_bugs_and_gameplay_megathread/  (a general thread, but some people are running into the issue there as well)

And as per usual, Niantic is trying to bs their way out of their own problems. Just like another company does *cough*Microsoft*cough*.

Only thing Niantic, is that a lot of these people never got any previous violations!

Edited by Doc Brown

Luckily I haven't ran into that issue (yet?). Though, reading the comments on that tweet, Niantic is saying that it's just a reminder of their ToS and there's no violation on your account.  We'll if it's just a reminder of the ToS, then why the hell does it say this is your first strike against your account and it will last for one day?!!! >:(

I think Niantic is just trying to cover-up a major fuck-up here. 

Edited by alienboyva
2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Luckily I haven't ran into that issue (yet?). Though, reading the comments on that tweet, Niantic is saying that it's just a reminder of their ToS and there's no violation on your account.  We'll if it's just a reminder of the ToS, then why the hell does it say this is your first strike against your account and it will last for one day?!!! >:(

I think Niantic is just trying to cover-up a major fuck-up here. 

Word. Exactly. 

Thankfully haven't run into that either.

Everything's coming up Milhouse! :P Had a heck of a good day today. Caught my first 4th gen starter, a Turtwig. Only a level 1 one, but still pretty cool. Also caught a Bidoof and a Kricketot. Finally found the last two ghost types I needed with a pair of Duskulls, so I was finally able to move onto the next set of Mew tasks. So now I have a Gyarados. Also found and caught an Exeggutor (Kanto).  Got some gifts too along with items. Saw a Breloom today when I was out, but once again I wasn't able to catch it. Not too big of a deal as I ran into a wild Scyther and caught it. Saving it for Let's Go.

Edited by Doc Brown

I caught Bidoof, Kricketune, Chimchar, Kricketot, Starly, and Turtwig in that order today. Wasn't downtown enough to likely see where a Bunneary or Piplup could be. Am halfway to a Bibarrel with how many Bidoofs I found today tho. 

I also put my Kricketune into a gym I took from Valor.

Edited by Surge135